Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS6 Cache and Freezing Issues

May 16, 2012 5:15 AM

Tags: #freezes #cache #bridge_cs6

I downloaded Bridge CS6 and I have not been able to use it yet. I am on a MacBook Pro running 10.7.4 and every time I launch Bridge I get the following error:

Bridge encountered a problem and is unable to read the cache. Please try purging the central cache in Cache Preferences to correct the situation.

When I try to purge the cache Bridge freezes up. If I don't try and purge the cache I am unable to navigate to any folders on my computer and it just hangs. I eventually have to force quit to get out of it. So far Bridge CS6 has been completely unusable.

Please help.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Rouviere Media

Have you tried to reset the preferences?  Hold down the Cmd key and start Bridge.  You should get a reset window with 3 options.  Choose all 3.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to Rouviere Media

If you did not get the reset window you are doing it incorrectly.

You have to press and HOLD the Cmd key and then click on the Bridge icon to start.  Should get the window almost immediately.

Not a Mac guy but maybe Omke will chime in as he deletes some .plich? file also.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 17, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Rouviere Media

Any other ideas?

Can you provide more details?

Bridge CS 6 is not a stand alone application but is delivered with PS or an other Adobe Suite Application.

If you use the default install procedure (lets assume you have PS CS6) then this will install both PS and Bridge in your default application folder on root (not user!) level.

Also by default in OS Lion the user library is hidden. Do a Google search to make it visible again (many ways form easy to slightly more difficult).

The use library cache folder is the default location for your Bridge Cache file.

Could you report back if we still are on the same route up until now?

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to Rouviere Media

Where did you set your cache location in preferences?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 17, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to Rouviere Media

When I go to ~Library/Caches/ there is a folder for com.adobe.bridge5 but there isn't one for com.adobe.bridge6

Your in the wrong folder. Follow the path you have discovered yourself using the pref settings Curt suggested

~library/caches/Adobe/Bridge CS6 and inhere should be 2 files:

Adobe Bridge Plug-in Cache

and the folder called Cache. Inhere should be 4 folders called '254', '1024', 'data' and 'full'

All those folders carry the content of the respective quality of the thumbs and preview as well as 100 % cache and Bridge database.

Any way, Since you have not used Bridge you have no relevant amount of cache and I would suggest you quit both PS and Bridge and manual delete both the items (plug in and folder called cache at the end of the Bridge CS6 path mentioned above.

(both files will refresh itself after a restart of Bridge).

To be on the save side also visit in same user library the folder Preferences and look for the file called "com.adobe.bridge5.plist" (yes it is Bridge 5 that comes with CS6, all Adobe apps have their own version number and they are presented in the same Suite version. CS6 has PS version 13 and Bridge version 5 )

also drag this file to the trash.

Then hold down option key (alt) while starting Bridge and this should give you the option to reset the preferences as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Choose reset prefs and try again.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 17, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Rouviere Media

addition,

It might also be a good idea to first use your Apple Disk Utility to run both the Disk check (should show OK) and after this run Check and repair permissions, Bridge is still very critical on permissions

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to Rouviere Media

Maybe you Mac guys can straighten me out on commands.

In Windows to reset preferences you usse the Control key (Ctrl)

It looks like the Mac equivalent to Ctrl is Command (Cmd) key, so thought reset in Mac would be Cmd key.

But in the translation FAQ, and your response, it looks like in a Mac you use the Option key.

So where am I going wrong?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 18, 2012 3:23 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt, the keys used are indeed different, even if you "translated" them well. I don't know why it's like this. Maybe should we do a features request (to have both work the same)

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 18, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Maybe should we do a features request (to have both work the same)

You mean that after 20 years pressing those buttons for the wanted behavior and being able to do it in your sleep this now has to change?

I have no objection if you Windows guys and girls will change your odd behavior to the logical of a Mac, so if that is your FR I will vote for it. Otherwise it might be a long and hard battle...

And history has proven it already has taken less then the difference between 3 buttons to start a war and also proven that every war is pointless and only has losers. Therefor it might be wise to spend a spilt second to look it up in Google when in doubt...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to Rouviere Media

I have the same problem with Bridge CS6 ever since I installed a trial version of In Design & Illustrator, I get that message whenever I open bridge CS6.  I uninstalled those trial versions & got creative cloud & reinstalled them.  I checked & the cache for Bridge CS6 and everything is in the correct place in the library.  I tried purging the cache several times, as the message said to do & it doesn't help.  Now each time I go to a different folder it rebuilds the cache & takes forever, and is useless.  Bridge works, however, for what I am currently working on, at least for a while.  Any other ideas?  Use Bridge CS5, which still works?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 11:27 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Hold down alt key, start Bridge and it gives you the opetions! Had the same problem and it fixed it! Cheers!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 4:09 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

I also had this problem. I tried reinstalling the software & it made no difference. Holding down Alt when launching Bridge & ticking the boxes fixed it immediately. Thanks guys! You are lifesavers!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to gerooster

The alt key solution does nothing for me. It doesn't give me any options and I'm not sure what you mean by "ticking" the boxes. I hope you get this soon. Thanks.  Barb

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 7, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to bsingle2

The alt key solution does nothing for me

On a Mac you need to hold down the alt/option key while restarting Bridge, on Windows this is the Control key. This should provide you with a window that gives three choices to select.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

That still didn't work. I have to leave now, I will check back later with another question.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to bsingle2

When you say it did not work does that mean resetting the preferences did not work, or you never got the reset window with the 3 options?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I never got the 3 options. When I turn on my computer and log in, that box that says I need to purge the cache but, as with the others, it didn't work.

I have restarted the computer and after logging in I go to my start menu and find Adobe, then I held down the Ctrl button and clicked on Bridge. Nothing happened. No menur, no options.

Now what?

Barb

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 7:16 PM   in reply to bsingle2

Create a shortcut key for the Bridge on desktop and then hold down the Ctrl key (windows) or Option key (Mac) to start.  Have not tried you method lately but seems like I remembered it did not work that way for some reason.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:09 PM   in reply to Curt Y

This didn't work either. I don't even use Bridge, or at least I haven't before. I use CS6 to edit videos so I'm not sure how the Bridge even got a problem.

I'm just annoyed that the box keeps popping up when I get on my computer.

Barb

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 10, 2012 1:45 AM   in reply to bsingle2

I'm just annoyed that the box keeps popping up when I get on my computer.

Can you provide more details about what computer, system and Bridge version (Adobe Bridge / about Bridge, the window shows the exact version).

And if you have that window on start up this means you probably have Bridge preferences set to start at log in, you can uncheck this setting in the Bridge Preferences Advanced tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

I fixed it last night, but now I can't for the life of me remember what the processes were. I have just tried to retrace my steps and can't do it. I'm really sorry. Just for your future reference I have an HP Pavilion dm4.

I wanted to be able to let you all know what I did, but it was after midnight and I didn't think about writing it down at the time.

I'm so sorry!!!  Thanks for everyone's help.

Barb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to bsingle2

Hold down Option/Command and restart Bridge 6.0. The three options will appear.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Its the option key not the command key

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2014 8:29 PM   in reply to Rouviere Media

On the Mac, simply holding down the option key while opening Bridge CC worked. I purged the cache and Bridge proceeded to recreate them. Trying to purge the cache from the Preferences only causes Bridge to freeze.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points