• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge CS6 Cache and Freezing Issues

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Bridge CS6 and I have not been able to use it yet. I am on a MacBook Pro running 10.7.4 and every time I launch Bridge I get the following error:

Bridge encountered a problem and is unable to read the cache. Please try purging the central cache in Cache Preferences to correct the situation.

When I try to purge the cache Bridge freezes up. If I don't try and purge the cache I am unable to navigate to any folders on my computer and it just hangs. I eventually have to force quit to get out of it. So far Bridge CS6 has been completely unusable.

Please help.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

When I go to ~Library/Caches/ there is a folder for com.adobe.bridge5 but there isn't one for com.adobe.bridge6

Your in the wrong folder. Follow the path you have discovered yourself using the pref settings Curt suggested

~library/caches/Adobe/Bridge CS6 and inhere should be 2 files:

Adobe Bridge Plug-in Cache

and the folder called Cache. Inhere should be 4 folders called '254', '1024', 'data' and 'full'

All those folders carry the content of the respective quality of the thumbs and preview as well

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to reset the preferences?  Hold down the Cmd key and start Bridge.  You should get a reset window with 3 options.  Choose all 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curt,

I tried that (3 times) and I don't get the reset option. It still comes up with the same Cache error message. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did not get the reset window you are doing it incorrectly.

You have to press and HOLD the Cmd key and then click on the Bridge icon to start.  Should get the window almost immediately.

Not a Mac guy but maybe Omke will chime in as he deletes some .plich? file also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down alt key, start Bridge and it gives you the opetions! Had the same problem and it fixed it! Cheers!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU! same issue for months now. SO happy to finally have this solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other ideas?

Can you provide more details?

Bridge CS 6 is not a stand alone application but is delivered with PS or an other Adobe Suite Application.

If you use the default install procedure (lets assume you have PS CS6) then this will install both PS and Bridge in your default application folder on root (not user!) level.

Also by default in OS Lion the user library is hidden. Do a Google search to make it visible again (many ways form easy to slightly more difficult).

The use library cache folder is the default location for your Bridge Cache file.

Could you report back if we still are on the same route up until now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Omke,

Thanks for the response. I hope we can get this working.

Bridge CS6 was installed when I installed Photoshop CS6. It is in the Applications folder at the root of my main hdd.

When I go to ~Library/Caches/ there is a folder for com.adobe.bridge5 but there isn't one for com.adobe.bridge6

What should I do next?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you set your cache location in preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curt,

The path is set as:

~Library/Caches/Adobe/Bridge CS6/Cache/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

addition,

It might also be a good idea to first use your Apple Disk Utility to run both the Disk check (should show OK) and after this run Check and repair permissions, Bridge is still very critical on permissions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your in the wrong folder. Follow the path you have discovered yourself using the pref settings Curt suggested

~library/caches/Adobe/Bridge CS6 and inhere should be 2 files:

Adobe Bridge Plug-in Cache

and the folder called Cache. Inhere should be 4 folders called '254', '1024', 'data' and 'full'

All those folders carry the content of the respective quality of the thumbs and preview as well as 100 % cache and Bridge database.

Any way, Since you have not used Bridge you have no relevant amount of cache and I would suggest you quit both PS and Bridge and manual delete both the items (plug in and folder called cache at the end of the Bridge CS6 path mentioned above.

(both files will refresh itself after a restart of Bridge).

To be on the save side also visit in same user library the folder Preferences and look for the file called "com.adobe.bridge5.plist" (yes it is Bridge 5 that comes with CS6, all Adobe apps have their own version number and they are presented in the same Suite version. CS6 has PS version 13 and Bridge version 5 )

also drag this file to the trash.

Then hold down option key (alt) while starting Bridge and this should give you the option to reset the preferences as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Choose reset prefs and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Omke,

This made the difference. I manually removed the existing cache files and also, holding down the Option Key when launching Bridge was important. Curt suggested the Command key, which didn't work (I still appreciate him trying). So now I have content and no error messages.

Thanks for the patient assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you Mac guys can straighten me out on commands.

In Windows to reset preferences you usse the Control key (Ctrl)

It looks like the Mac equivalent to Ctrl is Command (Cmd) key, so thought reset in Mac would be Cmd key.

But in the translation FAQ, and your response, it looks like in a Mac you use the Option key.

So where am I going wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curt,

On the Mac there are three keys: Control, Option, Command

Command usually maps to the Control key on the PC

The Option Key is the same as the Alt key.

The Control key on the Mac give similar functionality as the right click on the mouse.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your efforts.

Forrest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt, the keys used are indeed different, even if you "translated" them well. I don't know why it's like this. Maybe should we do a features request (to have both work the same)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe should we do a features request (to have both work the same)

You mean that after 20 years pressing those buttons for the wanted behavior and being able to do it in your sleep this now has to change?

I have no objection if you Windows guys and girls will change your odd behavior to the logical of a Mac, so if that is your FR I will vote for it. Otherwise it might be a long and hard battle...

And history has proven it already has taken less then the difference between 3 buttons to start a war and also proven that every war is pointless and only has losers. Therefor it might be wise to spend a spilt second to look it up in Google when in doubt...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2012 Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this problem. I tried reinstalling the software & it made no difference. Holding down Alt when launching Bridge & ticking the boxes fixed it immediately. Thanks guys! You are lifesavers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The alt key solution does nothing for me. It doesn't give me any options and I'm not sure what you mean by "ticking" the boxes. I hope you get this soon. Thanks.  Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The alt key solution does nothing for me

On a Mac you need to hold down the alt/option key while restarting Bridge, on Windows this is the Control key. This should provide you with a window that gives three choices to select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That still didn't work. I have to leave now, I will check back later with another question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say it did not work does that mean resetting the preferences did not work, or you never got the reset window with the 3 options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never got the 3 options. When I turn on my computer and log in, that box that says I need to purge the cache but, as with the others, it didn't work.

I have restarted the computer and after logging in I go to my start menu and find Adobe, then I held down the Ctrl button and clicked on Bridge. Nothing happened. No menur, no options.

Now what?

Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a shortcut key for the Bridge on desktop and then hold down the Ctrl key (windows) or Option key (Mac) to start.  Have not tried you method lately but seems like I remembered it did not work that way for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work either. I don't even use Bridge, or at least I haven't before. I use CS6 to edit videos so I'm not sure how the Bridge even got a problem.

I'm just annoyed that the box keeps popping up when I get on my computer.

Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines