Skip navigation
Ed.Macke 683 posts
Mar 17, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Slideshow For Wake

May 16, 2012 11:44 AM

I've been asked to throw together a slideshow for a wake tomorrow. Given the time constraint, it'll have to be a fairly simple affair with pics, an MP3 or two, some title cards and simple transitions / pan-and-scan / etc. I know to the resize the pics to 1000 x 750. So I think I'm set, except...

I have a question about how to render it...

I'm pretty sure they have a DVD player, so that's Plan A. I thought they could just set up the repeat feature on the DVD player to continously cycle the slideshow, but how would I burn a DVD so that it automatically starts upon repeat? Is it just as simple as not including a menu? Is there anything else I'm missing? I don't want them to plop the DVD in have it not work, or only play once. FWIW, I'm using Taiyo Yuden media (DVD-R, I believe).

But... I also think they have a laptop hooked up via HDMI If so, would that be a better/safer bet than my Plan A? If so, what should I render it as? I'm thinking I'd just throw it on a USB flash drive. I'm not sure what OS they have, so I'd need something that worked on Mac or Win. I'm assuming any Apple or Windows media player would have an auto-repeat function to allow for continious repeat. Oh, and if I'm going this route, what project settings would I use to take advantage of the HD setup (and should I resize the pics to something > 1000x750)?

I'm using PRE 7.

TIA!

ETA: Another option I have is to use Adobe Lightroom to create a slideshow. It would definitely be quicker, although more limited. It can export the entire thing as "H.264 MPEG-4". Is that something I could put on a flash drive? Is it something I could suck into PRE and create a DVD from?

Message was edited by: Ed.Macke

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to Ed.Macke

Ed,

Sorry for the gravity of your Project.

As for the Repeat function, just create an AutoPlay DVD, with no Menus, and no navigation. The Repeat on the DVD player will take care of the rest.

Just did similar for a burial services display, and then for a Live Auction Lot presentation. In both cases, the DVD players handled the Repeat just fine - no Menus, no navigation, just the AutoPlay.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you have any issues with the MP3's, just convert them to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and work with those. I would also just use one of the "regular" Audio Tracks, and NOT the Soundtrack. Some users have had issues with it (and Narration), so to keep you from possibly be slowed down, I'd keep it simple.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Ed.Macke

Ed,

I use Adobe Audition, but it is neither simple, nor free. I believe that the free audio-editor, Audacity, can Open MP3's, and Save as WAV.

Good luck, and I would try those MP3's first, keeping the conversion in the back of your mind, incase you have issues.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to Ed.Macke

Now, if you have a laptop with composite AV connections out, and the HD TV has compoiste AV connections in, you could set up an HD Project (if you do not have existing Video, or things get a bit dicey), Scale the Still Images to match the Project, say 1920 x 1080 (full-HD), and then, when edited, Export/Share to a format, that will play in a software player on your laptop. I would think that full-HD H.264 would be good for this, and then I would either use (or download and install, if you do not have it), either the free VLC Player, or the free MediaPlayer Classic HC. With the proper cables, and a setting of the Input on the TV, you should be able to get the signal from your laptop. As for the Repeat, I cannot recall if either VLC, or MPC HC have a Repeat function for playback, but will check, and report back.

For another production for a memorial service, I just Exported to H.264, Copied it over to a thumbdrive, and used the computer in the church, to feed to two projectors. The church's software player DID have a Repeat function, but as it was a Mac, I am not sure what it was. Still, things went well.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to Ed.Macke

OK, under View>Options>Playback, MPC HC has "Repeat Forever."

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to Ed.Macke

PrE 7 huh?

I would look into the Share settings for MOV, and if you have a late enough version of Apple's QT Player, plus PrE 7 supporting it, you should be good to go.

I would definitely check with the funeral home and ask for their direction. Someone there should know their equipment, and can tell you what delivery formats (and what method, say DVD-Video, DVD-Data, thumbdrive, external HDD, etc.) they can handle best.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to Ed.Macke

I hope that I have been able to help. While I have recently done similar, the equipment in the field can be very important.

In two cases, I specified what I needed, and in the other two, the people in the field were very helpful, and had answers to all of my questions, on the tips of their tongues. Had they not, I would have had to fly with a bunch of "stuff," to try and cover all bases. I hate to do that, as it usually means doing several versions of a Project, and then filling a carry-on with stuff, that I have to explain to TSA, much of which will not be used.

Good luck, and hope you get all the info, that you need.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to Ed.Macke

Ed.Macke wrote:

I'm pretty sure they have a DVD player, so that's Plan A

But... I also think they have a laptop hooked up via HDMI If so, would that be a better/safer bet than my Plan A?

Go with the dvd player.  I've had problems with slow and jerky playback with underpowered laptops.

Bring two disks - just in case you have problems (like somebody drops it and it gets scratched).

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to Ed.Macke

Ed,

That is great news. Sometimes, having a Plan B in place, sort of offers a "sacrifice" to the "Video gods... "

Sort of like me "sacrificing" a golf ball into the big ravine on #8 of the Kapalua Plantation Course - I want to appease the "golf gods."

Thanks for reporting your success,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to Ed.Macke

Ed.Macke wrote:

As an aside, I resized all my pics to be 1000 pixels wide. In retrospect, I wonder if they should have been slightly larger for a widescreen projec

Steve's the real expert on this but I'm sure he says in his book that all DVD output is essentially 640x480. Different pixel widths / heights provide the different aspect ratios.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to nealeh

Well, DVDs are actually 720x480 (720x576 PAL). But you're right -- 4:3 and widescreen have the same number of pixels. The pixels are just wider or narrower, depending on whether the TV image is 16:9 or 4:3.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points