Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I convert A4 PDF to Letter size?

May 16, 2012 12:22 PM

I am using Acrobat X Professional on a Mac, OSX 10.6.8.

I have a 46 page PDF file that is currently formatted A4 (8.25 X 11.69 inches) and need to shrink it to Letter sized. I know I can print to fit, but that is not what I need. I need the actual PDF file to resized to fit 8.5X11 paper. I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

I've tried cropping, printing to PDF, etc, but Acrobat X doesn't let me do it.

I figure there has to be a way for this common task. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lou

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to Lou Dina

There might be a more direct route, but from the Pages Panel I was able to

Crop Pages > Change Page Size > Fixed Sizes > Tabloid   (toggle All Pages radio button)

Saved

Crop Pages > 3" Top & Bottom, 1.25" Left & Right

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to Lou Dina

I've not examined the differences but (up to AA9) there are two options in the Page Scaling - Fit to Printable and Shrink to Printable; one may constrain proportions where the other does not.

Is there a benefit to scaling these in InDesign - I cannot wrap my (tired) thoughts to the benefit. AA will scale, and the end size, printed paper, will be 8.5 x 11.

OK, I expect you need a final document at 8.5 x 11.

Typically, you would Print to PDF with a 8.5 x 11 Page size and Scale.

You note that Acrobat X does not allow Printing to PDF. This may involve that OSX 10.6 bug combined with Acrobat X removing the ability; I work in Mac 10.4 only occasionally, AA8 & 9

Within InDesign you could use one of a few excellent Scripts for placing multiple page pdf's

Check Here

Are you familiar with InDesign Scripts? This is a real time saver. I know I recognize your screen name, either from this forum or the InDesign forum...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points