Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Error 101 (problem extracting the installer): Creative Suite 6 Master Collection Trial

May 21, 2012 6:26 PM

Tags: #trial_download #creative_suite_6

I have 400 gb of free space. 32 gb of ram.Im using Win7 64bit SP1. Have downloaded to the default folder and "tried the solutions" on the adobe troubling shooting guide. There seems to be alot of users with the same issue. Please advise.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to 463212

So you choose to download the install files to your User folder then?  The most common cause of error 101 is choosing the Program Files/Applications folder.  Do you receive an Error 101 as soon as you launch the Adobe Download Assistant?

Alternately you can follow the steps listed in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/981369 to initiate a direct download.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 12:35 AM   in reply to 463212

Error 101/102 normally appear when the the installer is unable to extract the files.

This could be due to a corrupt/incomplete download, the installer trying to extract at a location it does not have permissions to, or just plain permissions issue.

Also see, http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-download-assista nt.html for help with Error 101 and 102.

1. Ensure that you're downloading to a writeable user location, and not to "Program Files" or Applications" folders

2. Try solution 1 and restart the download

3. Try solution 2 to clear some space if you're running low

4. Ensure that you're logged in with Admin privileges

Alternately you can follow the steps listed in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/981369 to initiate a direct download, and then procees to install.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to 463212

I have the same type of problem.  Trying to download the trila of CS6 Production Premium so I can then enter my serial number and it freezes when it tries to extract.  It says error "invalid checksum" I cant delete the download and even after uninstalling and reinstalling download assistant it doesnt work

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to pianoman369

Pianoman369 where are you downloading the install files too.  As has been mentioned preivously in this thread the behavior you are experiencing is likely the result of the Adobe Download Assistant not having permission to save the install files where you have chosen.  The reason you are receiving the invalid checksum is because it has been unable to complete the save process.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to 463212

463212 I am keeping my eye out for all possibilities.  The most common difficulty though seems to be that users are trying to download the install files to the Program Files/Applications directory.  This can cause Error 101, 107, 109, non responsive Adobe Download Assistant, and even getting stuck at Extracting files. 

Especially for the Extracting files messages users will try to open the DMG file directly and then will receive the Invalid Checksum error as Piaonoman369 posted earlier.  This is because the Adobe Download Assistant has not been able to complete the save operation to the specified location.

I will keep looking though to see if we have a pattern with Photoshop and Premiere and try to duplicate the issue here locally if I see enough traffic around these downloads.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to 463212

I have the same issue and wasted about 10gb of bandwidth. Definetely nothing to do with access, Adobe Download Assistant is just a very badly written product. At one point the ADA appended its download to an already downloaded installation but not from where it failed last, nope from scratch making the file 8gb and obviously corrupt.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I too have received the check sum error. It took 14 hrs on my slllllloooooowwww connection. So I've got a temporary window with my ISP. They gave me a high speed connection to download the MC programs. My question: lots of talk about where NOT to put files... none on what is the better place to put them. Where does the DLAssistant want the files?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to KaCe

KaCe don't bother with the download assistant it is just too buggy.

Just use this link and download the trials directly http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6-direct-download-links.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to KaCe

Yes!! Finally somwone like me, I have been searching HOURS to how to change the location, and I cant find anything! Please could someone tell us how to do that? I dont want any direct downloadf links, I waited around 14 hours as well, I dont want to dod that again! Just please tell me how to change the location, im pretty sure its trying to acess a place that it shouldnt, PLEASE!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to Rex4MX

Can you help me with some details?

• Have you already downloaded the installer, but at a location you don't remember?

OR

• Are trying to download but Download Assistant does not prompt for a location

Also tell me your computer/OS details. I'll try and help you figure this out.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to Vikrant Rai

The installer?.....I have had adobe download assistent for a lot now, just been sitting there, and now that I try to download this Master Collection (Trial Version)  As I said it took me around 14 hours, and at the last 100% It stops and gives me the error. And I dont remember when I downloaded this asistent, dont remeber if it propmeted me with a location, dont know but when if your asking about right now, when i tried to download MC, no it did not prompt me to choose the destination folder. And my OS details, does this answer your question?

http://imageftw.com/uploads/20120523/cpu.PNG

Or do you want my DxDiag?

here, its 2 months old but i havent changed anything .......and yeah I know,l have used it for something else but it was the only way to get the link up........:l http://forum-na.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach& section=attach&attach_id=3254

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to 463212

i also got the error 101 with extracting the installer. i got an i7 64bit windows 7 and i got 1 terrabyte free space so i tried to extract it on desktop , my documents , other hard drive and nothing worked for me always same error

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to Rex4MX

So whatr then guys? Are you working on it? Or what :l

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Rex4MX

Please see post #3 from Vikrant on how to reset the download experience to be able to choose your download destination. I would recommend choosing the default location of your User folder.

You can also see post #1 for a link to initiate a direct download if you would prefer to bypass the Adobe Download Assistant.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Well I have already tried the direct download and it gives me this ;

You don't have permission to access "http://trials2.adobe.com/AdobeProducts/STAM/CS6/win32/MasterCollection_CS6_LS16.7z?" on this server.

Reference #18.3cba2117.1337899732.ca4ac5d

Why?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to Rex4MX

You need to make sure and login prior to trying to initiate the download.  This is a common inquiry you can find more details on prodesigntools.com website.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Yeah.....I know im bothering you with this question but im sorry I looked everywhere.....and no answer.......How do I log in, OR register in prodesigntools.com? .....Oh and I already tried login in HERE, and starting the download but with no success.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to Rex4MX

Rex4MX if you are continuing to have difficulties with the direct download process I would recommend posting on prodesigntools.com.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to 463212

Firstly, thanks for providing downloadable evaluation copies. This is very handy.

I'm having the same problem. Used Adobe Download Assitant, and got Error 101 trying to extract the files after it has downloaded the entire 6GB of Production Premium. I downloaded it to my user's home directory (C:\Users\Cleric) and it had no problem writing out the files there, but as soon as it tried to extract it I got Error 101. When I hit the arrow icon to attempt to re-complete the download nothing happened. When I hit the X to try again, it left software still in C:\Users\Cleric\CS6 Production Premium. 1.97 GB (2,117,349,076 bytes). I have 100GB of free space on this drive, so it wasn't a no disk space issue.

When I Try to run Set-up.exe, I get:

We've encoutnered the following issues

Installer failed to initialize. This could be due to a missing file. Please download Adobe Support Advisor to detect the problem.

I did that, and it detected no problems at all.

I'm now downloading the file manually per the instructions on the other article, but it's going very slowly, much slower than when using the Adobe Download Assitant.

If I may make a suggestion, you really ought to have the Adobe Download Assistant verify that it has all of the permissions it needs to all of the directories it's going to touch BEFORE it executes and downloads many gigabytes of data, only to leave the user completely unable to install the software. As I recall, it asked for permissions to modify the filesystem, which I gave it, but apparently that wasn't enough.

To help debug, I'm on Win 7 x86_64.

win7_version.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to visualNomad

Just to give an update, downloading by the manual file method worked, although Google Chrome named File 2 "ProductionPremium_CS6_LS7.txt" instead of .7z. I had to muck with Windows settings to get it to show me the file suffixes and then when I manually changed it from .txt to .7z it installed fine.

My recommendation still stands that you should make Adobe Download Assistant ensure it has all of the permissions it needs to do its entire job before it downloads the large files and then fails into a mode where no matter what you click you can't get it to properly install.

Another issue I had that I want to mention is that after installation, Premiere did not properly display or work with my Canon 5D mk II video clips. It would import the files, but you could not play or scrub them.. the preview windows were just blank. However, when I did a manual software update, it updated Premier and a few other things to the current 6.01 versions and then I was able to work with my video as expected. So I recommend that everyone update to the latest version after the initial installation.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to visualNomad

Thank you VisualNomad for the input.  There are plans to add error messaging in a future version when users select the Program Files/Application folder.  This seem to be the most common confusion for our users when they are selecting where to download their install files too.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Hi Everyone,

I am having the same trouble, and have downloaded the software multiple times both manually and using the downloader, with two different browswers, (IE and FF) and am running Win 7 Pro.  Can't extract the files on either this or another system.  Been on the phone with a nice rep for 2:18 minutes and am on hold right now.  We've made a new user account, re-downloaded the software, deleted the files, done everything except let him remote log in, which I am loathe to do.  Anyone out there hope you see this and can help I need this software to work.  Produciton premium suite student teacher edition.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to PrimeG1

PrimeG1 if you are having difficulties with a direct download, utilizing different web browsers, then I would start suspecting their are issues with your method of connecting to the Internet and downloading large file sizes.  You mentioned you are trying to utilize the Student and Teacher edition.  Does this mean you are on a managed network?  If so have you contacted the I.T. department which manages that network?  Perhaps they have a file size cap in place.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Hi Jeff,

I thought that too but I have no troubles with any other files, I have Adobe CS5.5 Design suite no trobles, many games with huge files and no troubles.  We've used two different computers both Win 7 one 32 bit one 64 downloaded several times, used the download assistant got the same error.

Nope I am at home, my network has no trobles firewalls have been diabled antivirus disabled, really have tried justa bout everything.  Still on hold for a senior tech, it's midnight there though so it might be a while.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to PrimeG1

When you initiated the direct download did you utilize the process discussed in message #1 of this thread?  If so then I would recommend contacting our support team.  As long as you are just trying to obtain Creative Suite 6 you can order physical media.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to 463212

I find it interesting that we still haven't gotten a meaningful answer to a very simple question. I'm on a mac, and have tried to download and install the Adobe CS6 Design package, but it continues to download and then after a while automatically starts to verify the disk when I get the "invalid checksum' error message. From the beginning I have tried to download it to the desktop of my computer, so it's not the problem that I save it in the 'wrong' folder. But instead of telling us that we install it on a possibly 'wrong' folder, the only response so far, we still wait to hear what a 'right' folder would be. So please tell us. I have dl it a few times now, wasting bandwidth, and time, and not getting anywhere. This is one of the least professional things I've ever seen with Adobe. Just tell us where you want us to save it, and if it then works, fine. But it still seems that your installer software is flawed to an embarrassing degree.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to kochjoe73

Kockjoe73 the solution to initiate a direct download was offered in message #1. 

There is also steps offered to resolve Error 101 and 103 in message #3 if you wish to continue utilizing the Adobe Download Assistant.  If you continue to experience difficulties with the Adobe Download Assistant then it is likely you have chosen a folder which the Adobe Download Assistant does not have permission to download to.  This is likely due to the fact that the Adobe Download Assistant would need to be granted administrator level access to write files to those locations.

If you wish to bypass the invalid checksum error then you can disable this feature in the Disk Utility under Preferences.  I would not advise this though as the fact the checksum is failing when you attempt to mount the disk image indicates your download is not complete.

Did you initiate the direct download option in message #1 and and still receiving an invalid checksum error?  If so then I would recommend either utilizing a different Internet Connection as the download through your web browser of choice is also failing or contact our Support team so they can work with you directly to resolve your download difficulties.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 8:37 PM   in reply to 463212

I just encountered this same error. It has wasted 6 hours and 6GB of my download quota. After everything has been downloaded, the error pops up under the progress bar and nothing can be done. Clicking the Reset product download button produces a popup asking if I want to continue the download, but clicking yes doesn't do anything.

I'm going to re-download everything again with the direct links. Can I suggest giving us the option, directly on the trial page, to download direct or use the download manager? The Adobe Download Assistant obviously wasn't tested enough before it was deployed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to wired.au

Yep, same problem for me. Just gets to 100% and comes up with Error 101 (installing Elements trial). Plenty of disk space, no permission problems - I didn't select program files or applications folders to download to. (But there seems to be no way of checking where you're downloading to - something that definitely needs fixing!)

I guess I'll have to wait another 6 hours and try the direct download....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 10:01 PM   in reply to 463212

Not an answer, but the same question and a terrible experience with technical support.

I am running a Win 7 64-bit machine with 16GB ram and twin terrabyte drives (OS and programs on one, data on the other). I'm downloading CS6 Design Standard.

After downloading and installing the Download Assistant, I download the files. After 2-3 hours, it gets to 100% and gives the 101 error upon extracting. I've tried extracting it to both drives (never the applications or program folders) - both of which have more than 700GB available and no permissions issues. I have MS Security Essentials disabled. I have tried twice to delete everything, then used Revo to uninstall the Download Assistant, rebooted, and reinstalled. Every single time, I get the same issue. I started a direct download, but it was looking like it would take twelve hours to download, so I decided to call Tech Support.

After spending a total of almost an hour on hold to get Technical Support, and about 20 minutes talking with Technical Support, the guy told me he had never heard of the problem persisting to that degree. He then advised me to disable all startup programs and services (except MS), reboot in safe mode. I thought he was just trying to troubleshoot some issue, but then he says he wants me to download the file that way. The guy got all ratty when I said I can't have my main computer running in safe mode with all the services disabled during business hours. Upon trying to get my computer back to normal, it uninstalled a bunch of drivers, and I had to go back to a restore point. Not your problem, but what a pain in the bum.

I'm now trying it on my laptop (W7 64-bit 8GB ram) with minimal stuff running and Security Essentials disabled, but I'm not hopeful.

At this point, I have burned through half of my monthly bandwidth in two days downloading and re-downloading the same package. I don't go through that much most months! This has been an incredible disappointing, frustrating experience.

Has anyone yet figured out what is causing this issue on computers that don't have space or permission problems? Is spending half a day doing a direct download the only workaround?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 11:01 PM   in reply to CutSnake888

Aaaand... same exact problem on the laptop, running as lean as it can possibly run and every single requirement met.

This sucks, Adobe. You have wasted so much of my time and I'm going to have to pay for more bandwidth this month because of your bloody buggy, useless software. Thanks a bloody lot.

Fail.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to Vikrant Rai

i also have a big problem with error 101... it took many hours to download and in the last minute it pops up in the download assistent and says error 101 check for available disk space and try downloading it again i dont know what file i originaly downloaded it too but i would like to start working on it as soon as possible how can i get more disk space. where is that? i dont understand any of what it is sayin

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 4:00 PM   in reply to hockeyJ18

Vikrant has already posted a comprehensive list of steps which will lead you to a solution.  You can find them at the top of this message thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Very well.  This is waaaaaay too complicated and the entire process is a fail, even if we do eventually get to download the trial.  What is Adobe thinking?  We should not be expected to concern ourselves with checksums and such.  Serve your customers, Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to cyndeewillow

OH JOY.  Now I tried the direct download link and was told I do not have permission to access the server. ???????????????????????

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to cyndeewillow

Update: 

I removed and reinstalled the downloader, and made sure I made a new folder for the download.  This did work.  So thanks to Vikrant.  However, I was already signed into my Adobe ID...and the installer told me to sign in again, which I did, and was then told my login info was wrong!  So, I had to create a new ID.

I sympathize with the people at Adobe who are having to deal with unhappy customers....or in this case, unhappy potential customers.  But something is clearly amiss in this process.  It should not be this difficult!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to cyndeewillow

Same problem here.  I have 60+GB of free space, admin rights, and I am downloading to my user folder.  I also tried downloading to desktop, and downloading to a new folder ( c:\tmp ).  All end up with the same exact problem - they download to 100%, but then extracting I get the Error 101.  I am 100% positive that I have enough space, and that I have write access to all the folders on my computer.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling as suggested.  I've tried every suggestion offered so far to no avail.  I got the direct download to work using the instructions from ProDesignTools, but even that file came through corrupt.

I read that it says the large filesize is prone to corruption during download - but I'm connected via highspeed and wired directly to my router.  I've tried downloading 4x using the Download Assistant, and 3x using the direct download.  No firewall, no antivirus, nothing that should be causing any issues.  I've been able to download other large (4-10GB, non-adobe hosted) files without any issues.

So... what else ya got?  This really seems like an unnecessary barrier to entry guys.  For a suite of software that costs as much or more than a computer, it should not be so complicated to download.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points