Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro creating impossibly huge project files

May 17, 2012 10:00 AM

I am confused as to why Premiere Pro CS6 is creating projects files that are so enormous they either crash my computer while saving them, or when I try to open them again after closing them, they simply will not open because they are too big. I have NEVER seen Premiere Pro CS5 create a project file that was, for example, 1.75GB in size. Now, I can't even edit a two minute video without eventually losing everything because the file size becomes unmanageable.

I thought it might be an issue with Magic Bullet Looks 2.0, as I noticed the file would grow enormously every time I added an effect to a clip. Not sure. Anyone else having this problem, with or without Looks or other otherwise 100% compatible plug-ins?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to TurboTigerJaws

Can you please list the detailed steps that you followed, assuming that what seemed obvious to you may not seem obvious to me when trying to repro. For example:

1. Lanch PrPro

2. Create a new project (and save it to...?)

3) Create a new sequence for that prject; with the settings being... (pixel depth, aspect ration, fps, render mode... etc)

Screenshots hlep t, if possible. No need to worry about any steps involving Magic Bullet or other 3rd pary plugins. We'll tackle that if and when I am unable to repro the bug in a default state.

Thank you for your interest in the quality of our product.

-James

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to TurboTigerJaws

TurboTigerJaws wrote:

I am confused as to why Premiere Pro CS6 is creating projects files that are so enormous they either crash my computer while saving them, or when I try to open them again after closing them, they simply will not open because they are too big. I have NEVER seen Premiere Pro CS5 create a project file that was, for example, 1.75GB in size. Now, I can't even edit a two minute video without eventually losing everything because the file size becomes unmanageable.

I thought it might be an issue with Magic Bullet Looks 2.0, as I noticed the file would grow enormously every time I added an effect to a clip. Not sure. Anyone else having this problem, with or without Looks or other otherwise 100% compatible plug-ins?

Are you using Warp Stabilizer by any chance?  I've read it can cause this same issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to jstrawn

I'm sorry but this is going to sound selfish...FINALLY someone else has had the same problem as me.  I use Magic bullet Colorista, Sharpen Mask, and Neat Video on my clips as well.  And my project size

is close to 1.21GB.  Saving take around 20 minutes, loading up the project takes 15 minutes and to do anything within the project is slow.

1. Here are the steps I take.

a. I launch the program normally.

b. Create a new project with these settings (see picture)Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to SpaceCherryFilms

I too am having the exact same problem, but the only effect I've been using is cross fade (both the transition effect and jut dragging the opacity down. I think it might be the drag on effect now that I'm hearing everyone else's issues. At first I had thought it might be a nesting issue (the main thing I've been using PrPro CS6 for is cutting together animatics with ref footage, so a lot of individual images laid over eachother) but that did really make sense. The odd thing I've noticed, thoug, is that it seems to be increasing by a factor of two once it really starts getting gigantic (which I can tell because I version constantly). Isn't that a bit... I don't know, odd? I mean if this is infact the case. The size where they really start to seem unwieldly is at about 250mb. I'm trying to open that file now, remove a whole bunch of the crossfades, and see if it has an effect on the file size.

I have been nearly patient enough yet to wait for the 500m files to even re open.

Tell me, for you guys, does the load project bar always stutter at the same place, like, right below the "Pr" in "Load Project"?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to jstrawn

Just Checked on mine. It was ABSOLUTELY using the dropin crossfade effects. After I cut them Out, the files size descended from 250+mb to 5.7mb

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to eric tortora pato

my bet is that the problem can emerge from numerous different effects.

EDIT: Additionally, I've been running in to these problems editing on my new imac (don't have the specs hand but we're talking 16gb ram and 3.1 ghz intel core i5), running osx 10.7.5, So I'm not sure if it's OS specific.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 8:51 PM   in reply to TurboTigerJaws

Selfishly, I wish it were only a Windows problem, but alas, MacPro, 16GB Ram, 8TB of external disc space, (but no Nvidia CUDA graphics card, yet), and I have some files (from last year) which have lots of effects and the project file is in the reasonable 6.5MB size, but now they're bloating out to 580MB. Analyzing current project, the project manager is taking ages to load;

There are so many variables we're all working with different plug-ins and computers and projects, so getting one or two answers that will solve it for each of us is probably impossible. I use Colorista II but I dumped Looks because it was giving me major freezes and other weird behaviour; sure, I have effects, some wipes, some fades, the usual, it doesn't have more than a couple of  AE clips, and five minutes after I began writing this the "analyzing project...." window still doesn't even have the beginnings of a progress bar.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 4:14 AM   in reply to mjscox

Warp Stabilizer is culprit in your case.  Even a few instances of it can increase project size dramatically.  The only useful workflow for Warp Stabilizer in its current state is to apply it to a clip or two and force Pr to render those clips.  If you don't want to take a chance on Pr losing its links to the render files, then you should export the rendered clips as lossless intermediate files and replace the clip instances with the rendered clips.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff, that's very helpful, but I'm not exactly sure of what is a lossless intermediate file.

Also, do you mean that I'd remove the clips in the timeline, import and replace them with those lossless intermediates?

Finally, do you know if the Lock 'n Load stabilizer from Core Melt has the same gigantism effect on project size?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to mjscox

Set the work area bar over a clip that has Warp Stabilizer applied to it.  Export it out as a Quicktime MOV file using the Photo-JPEG codec set to 75% quality, ensuring that the video frame size, frame rate and PAR exactly match the source clip.  That will produce a visually lossless video file.  When the export is done, import the exported clip back into your project and then replace the video portion of the original clip in the timeline with the new MOV file.

NB: Photo-JPEG at 75% uses 4:2:2 color sampling, 100% uses 4:4:4.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to TurboTigerJaws

Had that same issue, the solution is to delete your preview files every time the file starts getting bigger, (you can usually tell when this is happening when the save starts to take long)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to AlarconSwaby

The preview file issue was solved in an update, I believe.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2014 7:57 AM   in reply to TurboTigerJaws

I had the same problem and it seems that it was due to a corrupted project file. Even when I was simply saving the project as a new one without changing anything, the file size was shifting from 20Mb to 700Mb, with no effects or nothing complicated (5 minutes video). I created a new project and imported the old project (or you can only import the sequence that you need) and that solved the issue. Massive relief - I hope it helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2014 11:32 AM   in reply to Yulisees

Welcome to the forum, Yulisees. Exactly what version PPro do you have?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 1:25 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Hi Mark. This happened to a machine running CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 1:07 PM   in reply to Yulisees

Hi.

This didn't work for me. I'm working with CS6 and my project size is about 1,41GB. I tried to import it to a blank project and  the progression bar just gets stuck.

The day before, when working in the same project, the size was a bout 600 mb. The project sure has many, many sequences (like 40) and several hours of raw media, Colorista II effects in 4 or 5 shots in just one sequence, lots of audio fades to make a 52 minutes program.

If eventually i get the project open, i will have to delete varous sequences and effects.

Definitely going back to FCP 7, with pain in my heart.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points