• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp not updating FrameMaker variables

New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a RoboHelp project linked to a FrameMaker book. 

I've updated the product version variable to 5.8 in FrameMaker...

title_pg_frame.jpg

..but RoboHelp still shows the old version, 5.1...

title_pg_robohelp.jpg

I have checked the Frame-to-RH linkage by trying to re-link the book, and RoboHelp tells me it's already linked.

I can change the text in the FrameMaker file (adding words to the subtitle, for example) and the changes do show up in the RH output. So I know RH is reading the right FM file and updating to my latest changes in that file.

But it won't update the FrameMaker variable from what FrameMaker said it was at the time the RoboHelp project was created. This error appears in the file-edit view in RoboHelp, and in the generated output in both the WebHelp and JavaHelp layouts.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Jerry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, what versions are you using & are they all patched up?

Second, have you tried updating the FM docs, saving them, closing them (leave FM open at starter screen); then do a Force Update All in RH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technical Communication Suite 3.5, FrameMaker 10.0.2.419, RoboHelp 9.0.2.271. Yes, all up to date.

I have tried updating the docs, saving, closing, forcing updates, changing variable definitions, everything short of standing on my head and whistling Dixie

Nothing happens. 

RoboHelp still sticks with the value of the variable as defined at the time of the RH project creation.

I have since located the file  rhvariable.apj in the RH project root directory.

This XML file contains definitions for a subset of variables, including the version string I am trying to update, that are defined in my FrameMaker project.  This file's date/time stamp indicates it was created the day the RH project was created, and I have verified that it does not get updated on subsequent updates of either the Frame book or RH project.

It appears to contain user-defined variables from one of the files in the Frame project (which one I don't know, but it does mean variables are limited to one meaning per book so I can't assign a variable different meanings in different files in the book).

My current work around is to edit this file manually whenever I change the version string. That doesn't happen all that often, so I won't have to edit this file frequently, but it does happen, and I will have to remember to make this edit in the RoboHelp file. Not exactly what I was hoping for with my conversion to RoboHelp as authoring tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d report it as a bug – according to the help (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/techcomsuite/tcs/using/WS1b49059a33f77726-31aee1b1342288940d-7fe6.html) it should convert over each time. You didn’t accidentally mark the RH topic as not to be updated, did you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not intentionally changed update options for anything.  If inadvertently, where would that have happened? which topic? what would need to be changed to revert to correct update behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The topic that is showing the variable not changing – check by right-clicking the topic and see Properties – there’s some tab in there that you can use to tell RH not to update the topic (to preserve edits you’ve made in RH and don’t want creamed by FM again).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I did check that location previously, and no changes have been made on the File Update Settings tab for that---or any other---topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp