Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Harddisk usage/space problem with Premiere Pro CS6 trial

May 19, 2012 10:33 AM

Tags: #space #harddisk

Hello,

a few days ago I installed Premiere Pro CS6 trial on my C:\ drive (about 9GB free space of which 2GB or 3GB was needed for installation). After launching Premiere I changed all preferences for scratch disks etc. to my D:\ drive. I've been editing yesterday and I saw that my C:\ drive was completly full, only 1MB left. Didn't install/changed anything to my PC, just have been editing.

So finally I decided to uninstall Premiere altogether and reinstall it at D:\. Turns out that after uninstalling I suddenly have only 2,2GB left of the original 9GB before installation! So it seems that some temp files are still somewhere (even though  all my other temp settings like Windows Temp folder are also located at D: ).

I'm starting to get a bit fed up right now, because there's no transparacy in what Premiere has done during installation and why, after uninstallation, it still takes up about 5GB on my precious SSD space

Any help  is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: after installing it on D:\ yet again my available disk space went down from 2,2GB to 1,3GB on C:\. So Premiere is taking up about 8GB on a disk I haven't installed it on and is not used for scratch disks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to Manne.M

I guess you need a larger C: drive.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 4:24 AM   in reply to Manne.M

Check your C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe directory for superfluous data.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to Manne.M

And will changing the location of the temporary files to an external usb 2.0 hard drive make editing and compiling slower than using the local hard drive?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 2:28 PM   in reply to owiseone61755

I think that you will find having a USB 2.0 external, anywhere in the I/O setup for editing, will be painfully slow. Some might be able to live with that, but I do not think that I couuld.

Good luck, and before I committed to such a structure, I would test it well.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to Manne.M

Media Encoder also leaves stranded files here:

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Temp

It is safe to delete all of the files in this folder,

just skip any protected or running files that might pop up

(usually only one).

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Thanks to all of you.  I've checked and PP does point media cache to AppData, but there's only 4MB there, probably since I cleared out unnecessary files through control program.  As it was said, 90GB does sound 3x too big for Win7 OS and Adobe MAster Collection, it's as though every 1MB uses 3MB of space, but even at 90GB that should still leave apprx. 150GB free space.  All I have is 3GB available.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points