Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Template software

May 20, 2012 12:05 PM

Tags: #indesign #printing #templates #brochures

I am wondering if anyone knows of a software for which I can create a template and then the client can modify the content. Sort of like a CMS website, but this is for printing. I don't want to use Word, and it needs to be for PC, any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to Faisca1978

What sort of content are you talking about? Your description is pretty vague. I take it the client doesn't have InDesign?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to Faisca1978

Not much help. What sort of document is this? How will it be used? How much needs to change?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to Faisca1978

Frankly, I think they should have you set up one brochure for each product.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Faisca1978

I've never heard of a system for doing things like this, but I live a sheltered life. Good luck.

Actually, maybe I should say talk to your client about the practicality of what they are asking, and maybe on the quality of the product such a system, if one could be found, would produce. Clearly this company does not have anyone on staff with design skills or they wouldn't be sending it out. Perhaps they'll listen to someone telling them that this is the face of their company that is being presented to the customer, and they want to have a professionally designed and beautiful face, not a cookie-cutter shoe-horned in a box solution.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

One work-around you might consider is that you could set up the leaflet in InDesign with high design values (nice typography, colour graphics, etc) and leave spaces for your customer to personalise with his own text. Then convert the document into a form with text spaces for him to add his text. The  method you use will depend on which version you have - the latest version of InDesign - CS6 - has introduced new form features. You can then supply your customer with an interactive PDF to which he can add some simple text, though no additional graphics, and he can then print out copies on his desk-top printer.

Derek

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to Faisca1978

Actually, thinking about this, I suspect it could all be set up with a web-based front end feeding into InDesign Server, but no doubt they want it cheap, too.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to Faisca1978

Well I hesitate to mention it on this forum, but would Microsoft Publisher (£85 on Amazon) do the trick?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

" I suspect it could all be set up with a web-based front end feeding

into InDesign Server,"

Something like this?

http://printui.com/

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to [Ariel]

I'd say that's pretty much what I had in mind.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to Faisca1978

I don't know it myself but again if cost is an issue, it might be worth looking at Page Plus:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serif-PPX5USDPRT-PagePlus-X5-PC/dp/B00422MRGC/ ref=sr_1_4?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1337585240&sr=1-4  - only £22 and for PC!

Derek

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points