Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

H1 header tags... Is this seo friendly?

New Here ,
May 20, 2012 May 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I noticed that my website has the same H1 tag for each of my individual products. Now i believe this is because we are using site wide templetes and this is some type of module.

Either way, my question is will this hurt my seo efforts in the long run? Should it be set up a different way? Below is a snippet from my site. Please explain any answers in detail for i am a newbie! thank you.

<!-- BC_OBNW -->

<head>

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" />

<title>Hashem's Signature Blend - 50% Light & 50% Dark Roast 16oz</title>

<link href="/StyleSheets/ModuleStyleSheets.css" type="text/css" rel="StyleSheet" />

<script type="text/javascript">var jslang='EN';</script>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/CatalystStyles/Box.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

<script type="text/javascript" src="/CatalystScripts/Java_OnlineShopping.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/CatalystScripts/Java_Cookies.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/CatalystScripts/Java_Box.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/ajaxpro/prototype-core.ashx"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/ajaxpro/CMS.CatalogueRetrieve,Catalyst.Web.CMS.ashx"></script>

<link href="/css/all.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/jquery-1.6.1.min.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/jquery.main.js"></script>

<style type="text/css">

h1.catalog-name, table.catalogueTable {display:none;}

</style>

</head>

TOPICS
Content management and modules , Newbie Corner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 20, 2012 May 20, 2012

That is not a h1 tag though. That is just styling hiding a H1 tag. Which leads to what I said in my first post. You need to link your site to better show you because that does not mean much on its own.

What that says is that the element .h1.catalog-name and another table.catalogTable are css hidden. Out of context it does not mean anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Not sure I am following you. If there is one h1 for the product on the large product layout then that is good. If that is CSS hidden, why?

If you have both a h1 for a catalog name and then h1 for the product on a large product page that is bad.

If you have a h1 tag used in the product list layout when on a page there are several then this is not great for your SEO and you need to change that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Liam,

Here is a snippet from the main coffee catalog....... And above is a snippet from one of the products in that catalog. All I want to know is are my seo efforts being hurt because the way the its set up and if it is, what can i do to remedy it. Again please keep in mind im a newbie so explain in detail if you can.

<!-- BC_OBNW -->

<head>

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" />

<title>Coffee</title>

<link href="/StyleSheets/ModuleStyleSheets.css" type="text/css" rel="StyleSheet" />

<script type="text/javascript">var jslang='EN';</script>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/CatalystStyles/Box.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

<script type="text/javascript" src="/CatalystScripts/Java_OnlineShopping.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/ajaxpro/CMS.CatalogueRetrieve,Catalyst.Web.CMS.ashx"></script>

</head>

<body>

Product Snippet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Your talking about stuff in the header.

H1 header tags go into the body, they do not have anything to do with the head.

I think you must be refering to title?

Titles are overidden by the system if in the template. If you do not add a product title to the product in the admin then it will use the Catalog name. If you add a product title and view the page source you will see the title being used is the product's title that you added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Liam

Actually Im talking about the H1 tag below that I have highlighted, u metioned earlier in a different post something about this may hurt my seo efforts. I may be having a hard time explaining myself simply because of my lack of experience. Do see anything wrong with the way the code is written? Specifally where its in bold lettering.

script type="text/javascript">var jslang='EN';</script>

<style type="text/css">

h1.catalog-name, table.catalogueTable {display:none;}

</style>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a h1 tag though. That is just styling hiding a H1 tag. Which leads to what I said in my first post. You need to link your site to better show you because that does not mean much on its own.

What that says is that the element .h1.catalog-name and another table.catalogTable are css hidden. Out of context it does not mean anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question.

In the Shop Overall layout I have the catalog name as a <h1>. This also shows on all individual product pages where I also have the product name as a <h1>. This means that all pages have a duplicate <h1> tag which is not ideal.

I do not want to remove the <h1> Tag from the overall layout as the catalog pages should have a <h1> tag. But how do I prevent both from showing on the product page. I can easily use CSS to prevent it from showing on the actual page but it is still in the source code.

I am wondering how other people have gotten around this. Or does everyone use a <h2> for the product name?

Thanks

Madeleine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Madeline,

Your better off not having the H1 on the catalog, the Product is much richer source of content to be indexed. People search for a product, not a type of product so showing the right products rather then a catalog is much more effective.

Having both is ideal but not possible at the moment in BC so take it out of the catalog layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines