Skip navigation
GRGold
Currently Being Moderated

print to epub in ID CS5.5

May 20, 2012 6:08 PM

Tags: #help #export #indesign_cs5 #styles #book

I have been working to convert INDB from print to epub and have several areas that are not rendering as I would like. Where do I go to find answers?

To be more specific, I tested the file in the epub validator site and have tons of problems listed but don't know what to do with them.

Also, I have a chapter devoted to endnotes. The text formatting that I have currently set up is a numbered list with a hanging indent. I built links from the endnote reference numbers to the appropriate number in the endnote list. When exported to epub the numbers in this list disappear. I have no idea what to do.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2012 6:40 PM   in reply to GRGold

Do you have any knowledge of CSS and HTML?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 6:42 PM   in reply to GRGold

You need to start by reading about what is possible in exporting from InDesign to EPUB. A lot can be fixed by proper preparation. But some features won't convert to CSS. Or some features have to be edited in the CSS.

Best starting point is Elizabeth Castro's books on EPUB, particularly "EPUB Straight to the Point."

Formatting ebooks - EPUB Straight to the Point

Also, Anne-Marie Concepcion's videos on EPUB from InDesign on Lynda.com.

InDesign CS5.5 to EPUB, Kindle, and iPad

If Bob Levine checks in, he has a link for a free week on Lynda.com so you can watch it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 6:50 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Here you go…a free one week trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

You’ll need a credit card but you can cancel without being charged.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 9:24 PM   in reply to GRGold

InDesign CS5.5 should be able to produce an EPUB file that validates. (I had a book with some failures because I had missed creating a couple of "HTML-friendly" image names.) What kind of validation errors are you getting?

You'll need to follow Elizabeth's and Anne-Marie's advice and get an EPUB editor. The error message often lists line numbers within the HTML, or within a particular file inside the EPUB archive.  You can look these up in an editor to see where the error is.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 9:39 PM   in reply to GRGold

Give us a couple examples of the error messages. The EPUB formatting out of InDesign may not match what you expect, but that shouldn't generate an EPUB validation error.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 10:01 PM   in reply to GRGold

Just to be clear, this is an error from InDesign's EPUB export, right?. You have not modified the CSS or HTML in an editor?

Can you post a screen shot of your formatted InDesign file in this section where you're getting errors?

I have not heard of validation errors from InDesign's use of the <ol>, <ul>, and <li> tags.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to GRGold

Using the instructions in Anne-Marie's video, you need to unzip the video. If you're on a Mac, the easiest way is with the Unzip and Zip scripts she provides. On Win, you can just rename and unzip the file. Then open it in a HTML or EPUB editor (Anne-Marie discusses several). The numbers refer to line numbers in the HTML file. The HTML file is referenced in the error message. (First number is the line number, 2nd number is which character on the line.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to GRGold

Haven't had to do that. Bob Levine is actually much more of a CSS expert than I. (I will be tied up all day on a training and not available today.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to GRGold

Without know what’s broken it’s tough to say if you can fix it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points