Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to start editing previously edited image files?

May 21, 2012 10:16 AM

When NEF (raw files) in LR4 are edited, it generates two additional files: tiff and jpg (by "save as").  Later on, when I want to furhter edit those images, how do I start with?    Obviously, I could re-edit from history panel of the orignal NEF file or tiff file using CS5.  I wonder which approach is more efficient or convenient? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to hummer777

I'm not quite sure how to answer the question because I'm unclear about your workflow.  My typical workflow is to import the raw images and work exclusively on those.  In most instances, I find that I can do all of my editing in Lightroom.  The only time I create a JPEG or TIF image is if I need that image format for a specific purpose.  For instance, if I want to e-mail an image, I will export a JPEG image for that purpose.  When it has been emailed then I usually delete the image because it isn't needed anymore.  Then, if I decide later on to further edit the raw image I just start with the raw image and make whatever changes are needed.  Sometimes I will create a virtual copy so that I can keep what I have already done.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to hummer777

hummer777,

You have to give a bit more info and describe your workflow in more detail. You say "When NEF (raw files) in LR4 are edited, it generates two additional files: tiff and jpg (by "save as")." As there is no <Save as> command in Lr - what do you do? Edit your Raw images in CS5? And why would you create two files? And why would you <Save as> instead of simply <Save>?

Generally speaking, you do not need to edit your NEF files in CS5. You can do that in Lr4 and - in most cases - easier and better than in CS5.

So please explain your workflow in detail and the reasons why you chose to work in such a way, in order that we can help you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to hummer777

It seems to me that you would always have the greatest flexibility if you went back to the raw image to do your adjustments.  There really isn't a need to go backward through the history unless you have a state that you like.  Just start making adjustments again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to hummer777

The only reason you would retain a TIF file is if you did some work in Photoshop that you could not do in Lightroom.  That doesn't happen to me very often.  Most of the time I do all of my editing in Lightroom, clear to the finished image.  So TIF files or JPEG files are only created for a specific purpose.  And once that purpose is fulfilled (e-mail, printing, etc.) That file is deleted.  The only file I keep in most instances is the original raw file.  There is not a separate database for TIF files so I don't understand your question.  If you delete the file it is removed from the catalog.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to hummer777

If you didn't delete the images from within Lightroom, then you are correct. The database still thinks those images are there, and will continue to display the preview. But if you will right-click on the folder, one of the options is to synchronize that folder. If you click on that option those images will disappear.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points