Skip navigation
KAC1985
Currently Being Moderated

JPEGs will not open in Photoshop

May 21, 2012 1:08 PM

Tags: #photoshop #help #error #image #cs6

Hi There,

I am in the process of editing photos from our old website to be used on a new website. I am finding that half of the photos I have will not open in Adobe Photoshop. The error message reads: "Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found."

What does this mean? How can I fix it? These are the only JPEGS I have of these photos!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kari

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to KAC1985

Sometimes PS can be picky on the files it opens.  Try opening it in a different program then saving as a jpeg.

The free Infranview will open most anything.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to KAC1985

If you saved the file in Photoshop (or some other application) under a different format but used the jpg extension, this will happen when you try to open it. The file description/info in Finder says it's jpg, but it speaks with forked tongue. For example, if you open a jpg in Photoshop, edit a layer, and save it, it will keep the jpg extension but make it a psp (Photoshop) type to preserver the layers.

To fix it, in Finder edit the extension to whatever it should be, in the above example, it's .psp. You might have to guess at what externsion it might be, e.g. tiff or png or gif.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points