Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I read CPI files?

May 21, 2012 4:18 PM

Tags: #avchd #premiere_pro_5.0 #cpi_files

I need help!

I regularly transfer and edit (with CS5 PrPro 64-bit) the MTS files from the HS card in the Panasonic AG-HMC150P camcorder. Recently I needed some clip information that are stored on the same card in directory PRIVATE > AVCHD > BDMV > CLIPINF in files consecutively numbered from 00000.CPI. I couldn't find any way to access those information, even after extensively consult Adobe help files and the U2U forums, and also the Internet. (I read some comments as to Premiere Elements 10 and Premiere Professional CS6 can do this - but I have PrPro CS5.)

Thank you very much,

Laci.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 4:56 PM   in reply to LaciG

You don't.  Hardware and software that needs them does.

What do you suppose they contain that you need?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to LaciG

From the Project Window

Open the Metadata Display in Premiere.

Go to the Exif section and choose what you want it to display in the columns.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to LaciG

I couldn't find the way to import the metadata.

You don't.  Like I said earlier, the hardware or software will make use of those files as appropriate, not the user.  If PP is showing nothing in those fields, then it's very likely there is nothing in those fields.  Just because they're their doesn't mean every camera will make use of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to LaciG

Hi LaciG and thanks for posting your findings. I have a Panasonic FZ150 that records AVCHD and has all the same folders. I wanted to copy videos into differnt storage folders on my PC but did not want to loose anything. In your item#1 above, you say it's important to preserve the file [folder?] structure. Yet in your item#3, you belive there is nothing useful in the cpi files. Anyhow, based on your understanding, could I just store the mts files by themselfs (discarding everyting else). Then when I needed to access the video, just insert the single mts file into a mock directory structure? Certainly storing a single file for each vid would be easier.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to b6878

could I just store the mts files by themselfs (discarding everyting else).

It's not a good idea.  PP works best when you keep everything as is.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Ok, thanks. Better safe than sorry.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers