Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 layers panel won't allow moving objects by dragging "selected-art indicator" dot

May 22, 2012 10:57 AM

Is anyone else having trouble moving objects between layers by simply dragging the right-hand dot to a new layer? CS6 won't let me drag the dot on any kind of selected art from any kind of file I've tried.....and I've found no forum question about it yet (which seems odd...I do this all the time!)

Help says:

• Click the name of the desired layer in the Layers panel. Then choose Object > Arrange > Send To Current Layer.
  • Drag the selected-art indicator , located at the right of the layer in the Layers panel, to the layer you want.

But method #2 doesn't work at all for me. In fact, the cursor doesn't even change when I mouse over the selected-art indicator dot.

?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to dishdesigner

It is not a problem here Mac OS 10.7.3

The cursor does not change that is normal.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

No it would not change  when over the area t select the layer or object since it has to be a selection tool at the time it does change when you are over an area that is not selection area.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

Oh, No you can drag from a different part of the layer or object item in the layers panel it is not necessary to grab the dot look: You just start dragging and then it chages to a Hand tool with a lyer icon (dotted rectangle) next to it.

Does show up on a screenshot looik at the video

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/MovingLayers.mov

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

One of the new features in Illustrator CS 6 is that you can change the name of a layer by double clicking the name in tha layers panel and change the name without a dialog opening up the name can be changed in the layers panel directly so that might be part of the issue but if you noticed in my video I can drag the selection square to another layer and i can drag a layer to a different position as well by dragtging the selection square. In CS 4 the cursor was a hand but now it is an arrow, that might be a bug but it for me on a mac still behaves the same and can still drag the objects and layers.

The option to show only layers is still there

Screen Shot 2012-05-22 at 8.19.26 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

I'm having a similar issue. I can drag the colored square to a new layer as long as the object I'm moving is selected with the black selection arrow. But if I use the white direct selection arrow on a part of a compound shape I cannot move the dot. This is one of my favorite maneuvers in CS5 so I'm annoyed it won't work in 6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

I am able to move layers or layer content between layers by moving the "selected-art indicator" (the meatball) in Windows 7 running AI CS6 on a 64-bit computer.  The only time I ran into a problem like this was when I'd accidental locked the "move-to" layer.  I this isn't your problem, could you provide more info?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to Rodieck

Good suggestion, but the layer I want to drag to is unlocked. In this attached image the triangle is part of a compound shape. It's the "counter" in the bigger shape around it. Like the hole of a donut. In cs5 I could select it with the direct selection tool and drag it to a new layer. In CS6 the little blue square won't budge.

If I use the regular selection tool, the black arrow, I can move the whole compound shape to the layer below with the blue square no problem.

My issue is very niche I understand. I may just have to find a workaround.

I'm on an iMac running Os 10.6.8

Screen shot 2012-06-04 at 2.25.14 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to cbp_875

Sorry, cbp_875, I wasn't replying to your message; I was replying to dishdesigner, the op, who was having the problem in Windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

It seems to have something to do with "compound paths".  If I select multiple items within a layer and drag the dot it works, but if I select anything that is part of a larger compound path, it doesn't work.  I'm no Illustrator expert, so I'm not sure what is going on here, but it definately is hampering my productivity quite a bit.  Adobe can you address this?? 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

nightmare. give me back my click and drag! now i have to cut and paste into the correct layer???? do you know how long it takes to get it in the perfect spot again? i'm on a mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to dishdesigner

OK, I struggled with this for days... and then after realizing that it WAS working for a coworker who transfered her preferences when updating the software, I went back and tried a bunch of things and this worked for me:

Turn OFF Show Layers Only
    Under the Thumbnails options check Layers, Groups and Objects in the Layers Panel Options window.
    Unfortunetly you have to look at all the objects as well as the layers... but it worked!

Screen shot 2012-10-26 at 8.48.50 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to PageDesigner1900

Is there a way to have this set this way permanently, or is this something I'm going to have to change for every single file I open?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to rachelWEG2012

Opene the New Document Profile that you use most often and make the changes in that document, then save. Do you know where these are located and an idea of the OS and version of Ai would be helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Sorry, I'm running CS6, on Mac OSX 10.7.5.  And no, if you could point me to that New Document Profile, I'd appreciate it.  Now, in doing this, will this work for files that are sent to me from other people?  Or will that just work for new documents that I create?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to rachelWEG2012

It will only work for those documents you create. The New Document Profiles are located in two places. First is HD/Users/<yourname>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS6/en_US/New Document Profiles. On OSX 10.7.5 this is a hidden folder so look here for instructions to make it visible

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110704093233123

There are also copies in HD/Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS6/Adobe Illustrator CS6.app. Right Click and choose Show Package contents. In the Required folder is another copy of the New Document Profiles which are used to replace the ones in the Users folder if you do a reset of the Preferences. Make the changes to that document and save.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Thanks, Larry, but that doesn't really help.  My personal files are already set so that I can move objects around between layers.  I was hoping there would be a way to have any new file that is supplied to me set the same way.  We are a prepress house so we don't usually build our own files.  Oh well, maybe someday there will be a way!  Thanks again!

Rachel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to rachelWEG2012

Then no, you will have to do it for each file as you need it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to dishdesigner

Hi All

Thanks for the various suggestions, but I am still haveing dishdesigner's orginal problem. Super frustrating as I use the "moving" the dot technique a lot in the work I do. Changing my layer panel options has not helped.

I also have the added issue that the icons for new layer, delete layer, etc at the bottom of the layers pallet come and go intermitently. Sometimes they are all there. More often, none of them are there until I mouse over. Sometimes, I just see the "new layer" icon, but not the "trashcan" icon, etc.

Any other ideas?

I'm on a Mac (10.8.2) and CS6 16.0.4

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 5:05 PM   in reply to waterknot

Just found this thread and it fixed my issues. THought it might help some of you, too if you haven't already found it:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4612169

Basically, there seems to be a relationship between how the layers pallet works and whether or not some specific fonts are activated. I did not beleive it but after activationg Verdana. all my layers palett issues went away

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to PageDesigner1900

Thank You! That was driving me crazy.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers