Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why are Characters in URL Breaking in InDesign CS6?

May 22, 2012 1:07 PM

Hi,

When I create a URL link in a CS6 InDesign document, InDesign is immediately discarding the "?," "=," and " &"characters and rereformatting them incorrectly, breaking the link. This is new behavior to me. How do I fix this, or is this a bug?

For the record, it's turning the:

? into %3F

= into %3D

& into %26

Are any of these incorrect?

Thanks.

 

Upon further research, I see that InDesign is encoding these characters unneccessarily, since they only need to be encoded when they're not being used in URL syntax, which they are here. I'm thinking this is a bug, but I'm curious why no one else is having this issue.

Help?

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 1:18 PM   in reply to robbyberman

    It's called "URL encoding" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Url_encoding) and it happens because not al

    characters are valid in an URL.  A space, for example, would invalidate the link; therefore it gets converted into the code "%20" -- a hexadecimal representation of the ASCII value for the space.

     

    So I can confirm those characters you ask about are, in fact, correctly encoded.

     

    As for the problem it causes,

     

    >... rereformatting them incorrectly, breaking the link. This is new behavior to me.

     

    -- how do you know they "break" the link? Do your hyperlinks stop working? How did you check those?

    Reason for me to ask this is that this URL encoding thingy  is nothing new. Any sane Internet software ought to be able to reconstruct the original query out of URL Encoded URLs. (Although I must admit this is a strange change, as "raw" ?, &, and = are all over the web -- just type in anything into Google and see what it says in the address bar.)

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

    Ah wait -- I just tried, and contrary to what I believed (and stated above), Google does NOT accept "%3F" in a place where it expects a "?".

     

    Hm.

     

    Okay, so this feature didn't improve much. It has been said "CS6 contains hundreds of bug fixes" (over CS5.5, meaning as much as "to get it fixed you'll have ta upgrade"), this one seems to be Brand New. Oh well, let's hope this one gets repaired in CS7, then.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to robbyberman

    I have had problems with creating links to URLs from InDesign as well. What I discovered was that the space character (often used in names of our links) is converted to '%20'. The link works fine.

     

    However, should I reopen the hyperlink dialogue box to view it, say, and click 'OK' the '%20' is reconvereted to '%2025' breaking the resulting link. Replacing the '%2025' with a space and then clicking 'OK' reveerts back to the correct encoding of '%20'.

     

    This is definitely a bug.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 6, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to robbyberman

    Have this same issue in CS6, weather i copy/paste the url in or manualy key it into the hyperlink panel. Indesign replaces the ?, = and & symbols in my working URL, making it not work once a PDF is created.

     

    I paste the URL into the hyperlink panel, and it instantly changes the characters! I have even gone in and manually changed the characters in indesign, and when i click off of it Indesign replaces the symbols again with %3 and in the cas of the = sign, the Capital leter "D"

     

    Even went so far as to paste the URL into texedit and make plain text to strip any possible formating, but to no avail....VERY FRUSTRATING.

     

    Is there even a fix?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 6, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to Jim Haven

    Well, you can try Type/Hyperlinks & Cross-References/New Hyperlink from URL. Just copy/paste the URL to your document, select it and then apply it.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 6, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to Jim Haven

    I believe the 8,0,2 patch was supposed to fix this.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 6, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

    Just tested it and yes, using Convert URLs to Hyperlinks actually keeps the URL intact. If the OP can provide the URL we can test it.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2014 6:32 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

    I had the same problem. I use CS6. I installed the 8.02 patch and the problem is no longer an issue. However, I am having to go back and relink the sources, manually.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points