Skip navigation
jtbull
Currently Being Moderated

EPS Import: Undefined error when importing vector from Illustrator (CS6)

May 25, 2012 10:28 AM

Hello,

When I try to import a vector that I created from an image trace in adobe illustrator to an InDesign document... I get an error "EPS Import: Undefined error"

Does anyone know how to fix this?

(This is for CS6)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to jtbull

Try saving it as an AI file (with PDF Compatibility enabled) or as a PDF from Illustrator instead of using an EPS.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to jtbull

In addition, try showing the import options. I don't recall what options there are for .eps (not many) but I know that having the crop setting set to an option that is not present in a PDF will cause this sort of error.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 1:59 AM   in reply to jtbull

Hi,

Sorry for bringing this topic up again, but I am experiencing the same problem in CS6 as described by jtbull a year ago, and Larry's proposal doesn't solve the problem for me as I need to be able to edit the vectors in ID.

To repeat, this error occurs when trying to copy&paste vectors resulting from a simple image trace in Illustrator CS6, with "Prefer PDF when pasting" turned off in ID, to prevent pasting an uneditable PDF.

The error is very unlikely to be caused by too complex vectors - in my testing case, the object was a simple semicircle, even Object>Path>Simplified to a triangle consisting of sheer three anchor points. No grouping, no compound paths. When I create the same or even much more complex object in the same Illustrator document, I can copy/paste it into ID with no problem. So it seems it is really something the troublesome object carries with it from its past of being created as an image trace.

Would there be another idea how to deal with this, please?

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 4:09 AM   in reply to Pataka

Did you expand the tracing?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 4:35 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes, Peter, of course.

Meanwhile, I had a chance to do some more testing. Not ALL trace results cause this problem, even with the same tracing preset used (I have been using Black and White logo in this case, with Ignore white checked on). I thought it might have something to do with doubled/overlapping paths, but although I did my best to clean up everything and make sure there is only one simple path left, no success. It doesn't seem to be depending on an obvious complexity of the image - sometimes it works with visually more complex objects, while the simple ones can't be copied.

I have also found out that when I simply save the troublesome graphics as .AI, it doesn't help - but when I close and re-open this document, it starts acting normally and I can copy/paste into ID as expected. So it does seem that the tracing engine leaves some artefacts that get only cleaned up by this process...

Well, I am not sure then if this leaves anything to be answered... Rather one has to accept it as a fact, I guess... :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 4:39 AM   in reply to Pataka

At least it sounds like you've found a way to get what you need.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points