Skip navigation
bisenberger
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop does not release memory after closing document.

May 27, 2012 10:53 AM

When I close a large document Photoshop does not release the memory. If I open another document the program is slow and not resposive. If I close out of Photoshop and restart it then load the other document it is quick and responsive again.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 27, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to bisenberger

And that is the correct behavior -- Photoshop reuses the image memory that it allocates (up to the limit you set in preferences).

If it didn't do that, things would run much slower.

Normally there is no need to quit and restart Photoshop -- all the memory just gets recycled.

If the program is slow and unresponsive, there is something else going on.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to bisenberger

You don't specify, but I do hope you're on Windows, because if you were on a Mac, running or installing anything with the Norton name on it would be insane.  Norton is bad news on Macs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to bisenberger

Norton should not interfere with Photoshop.  If you do find it causes problems, then we need to get some details so we can follow up with Norton.

And we have not seen an instance where Photoshop was not reusing memory.

The only things that can make Photoshop throw memory away are the OS, and some plugins.

After that Photoshop will have to reallocate (slowly) the memory it needs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to bisenberger

Thaks for letting us know.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to bisenberger

OK, that's a problem.  Which version of Norton are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to bisenberger

We need the specific version number -- so we can work with Norton to resolve the problem (and see if they may have already fixed it).

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 5:20 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

A bit late to the party here but this issue is still live and I can't find anything else on the forum similar to it (apologies if there is).

Photoshop does not seem to re-use memory it just keep allocating new right up to the limit before the prog crashes (same applies to Fireworks) so any batch/script processing of more than a handful of files is impossible.

I am Photoshop via Creative Cloud (so I am always updated to your latest release), Windows 7 64k with 8Mb memory and am using Norton Intenet Security 20.3.1.22 which is updated daily.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to Stuart_S

Photoshop definitely does reuse memory, and we haven't seen other users with problems outside of this topic (which was caused by some bug in Norton).

But you could have a third party plugin, or even a Flash Panel that leaks memory that badly.

Or Norton could have reintroduced their bug.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points