Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Save For Web Error in CS6

May 28, 2012 1:16 PM

When I try saving an Illustrator file using Save For Web in CS6, if the file isn't split up into slices I get an error "Could not complete this operation. There are no user slices." If I open the file in CS5, it exports perfectly fine (and with the XHTML page creation that used to be part of Save For Web that I'm pissed has been stripped out...)

Can anybody explain why this is happening? I never had to create slices to make images export w/ Save For Web in the past.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 28, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to ZachRosing

It's a bug in 64-bit AI CS6 on Win7 x64.  The only way to get it to work is to run AI "As administrator".

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to ZachRosing

Have you found a solution? I am stuck and searching…

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to ZachRosing

Following nearly 2 hours on the phone with tech support and a clean uninstall/reinstall, I've learned that this is a known problem. There will be an engineering meeting including this topic on Friday, August 17 after which they will get back to me to provide an update. I'll add notes here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to ZachRosing

I had this problem too. I think I've fixed it.

Try:

1. Open Illustrator and start a new document.
    2. Create a new slice (Shift+K) anywhere on the document.
    3. File > Save for Web...
    4. In the bottom right corner there is an option for “Export”. Change this to “All Slices”.
    5. Save that out  so that Illustrator retains that option as default.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to LKM

Lydia,

Did you ever hear back from them?

CASRAW,

That trick worked, but I've found that some of my images seem to get oddly cropped/missing the top line of pixels. I can't seem to define what causes the oddness or in which files it's going to crop (no pun intended) up.  What I've started doing is opening the Illustrator file in Photoshop, and then doing all my App resizing/export production in Photoshop.  It's not an elegant solution, and it adds additional steps; but it works. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to DuckiDeva

No, they never did and I was left feeling gullible for imagining they would!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 2:41 AM   in reply to DuckiDeva

> That trick worked, but I've found that some of my images seem to get oddly cropped/missing the top line of pixels.

Yeah that annoys me too. I get around it by using a rasterising filter on a group. Under the Appearence Panel choose Fx and then Rasterize. Cuts out having to mess around in Photoshop and you'll get better previews of how the vector will rasterise at a paticular resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to LKM

Lydia, Yeah, customer service doesn't seem to be an Adobe priority.  (If my waiting on hold for 1.5 hours before giving up is any indication.)

Chris, I'll give that a shot, thanks! 

Ken, It may be the way I've got my system configured, but running as Admin didn't seem to help; even when I loaded the system up in safe mode. 

It's an annoying bug. I wish Adobe would just acknowledge it on a bug tracker, and give us a timeline as to when/if they think they can fix it. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 3:40 AM   in reply to Chris Rawnsley

Hi Chris, brilliant that you found such a solution. For me it works very well.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to Chris Rawnsley

thank you, thank you! works for me. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 4:16 AM   in reply to uberFench816

Just to say how this error comes about (well how it did for me anyway). I had been saving out slices and on the Save for Web screen had chosen to export all user slices. I’ve then opened a different document with no slices whatsover and tried to use Save for Web to save the entire artboard yet it must still have remembered the export all user slices option and thus completely got its knickers in a twist!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points