Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Responsiveness of CTI with heavy effects

May 29, 2012 1:11 AM

Tags: #premiere #playback #cti

Before I post a feature request, I just wanted to check others also see this behaviour:

If I have a number of non-realtime effects applied to clips in a project i.e. Magic Bullet looks combined with color correction filters etc, I suffer from a laggy CTI. Now that's not too much of a problem and is to be expected. However, when you're navigating around and pushing space to play, this causes a problem most times because the playback will start at the previously rendered frame not the new selected frame.

So, if I position the CTI at a new place on the timeline and press play before Premiere has rendered the frame, playback will happen from the previous location. Very frustrating and slows down the edit.

Seems to me, what should happen is that Premiere should remember the new CTI location and start playback from there - as you might expect.

I wonder if it's the thrird party effects that are breaking the playback position?

Anyone else seen this?

Paul.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 29, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

Not here.

What kind of media are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

This seems a moot point if you just render those clips that need it. Then your timeline will play just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

Yes, I guess I dont understand

When I apply enough effects to a clip so that it cant playback I immediately render it.  If I shorted / trim a clip 3 seconds before that rendered clip it should have no effect other then shortening the timeline.

My approach..render all clips that need rendering to playback in real time.

Sorry if Im not comprehending your issue correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to SiliconPixel

Is the CTI sluggish when working on clips with no effects on them as well?

Is the CTI responsive, but when you click on play it goes back to start of the sequence?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 3:55 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

I have a similar problem with EX clips, if I press play quickly after moving the CTI the yellow 'dropping frame' lights and the playback stutters, if I give it a second or two the green 'frame not dropped' indicator lights and playback is fine.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

What you describe, or similar behavior, occurs with AVC-intra and AVCHD footage as well, with or without fx applied -- move rapidly through the timeline, cut by cut, with the up or down key, and there's a lag, before PPro is able to display and play the correct frame, though I haven't noticed reversion to the begining of the T-L.

The only instaneous playback/update seen so far is with standard definition DV footage, though if you work your way through an AVCHD timeline, cut by cut, it will become more responsive once all the ground is covered-- some sort of buffering, probably.  How long it lasts is another question....

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to jamesp2

When I first posted in this thread I was using DV.  Since then I've upgraded to the GH2 and am shooting hacked AVCHD.  I do see the same kind of sluggishness, especially with GOP footage.  Sometimes I have to wait up to 5 seconds for PP to 'catch up' with a sudden movement of the CTI.  Just part of doing business with such compressed footage, I guess.

I do notice a significant improvement using I-frame footage, though.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

I don't see the CTI jump, no.  PP just remains unresponsive while it works to catch up.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points