Skip navigation
RezStreamDev
Currently Being Moderated

"Out of Memory"

May 29, 2012 8:22 AM

Tags: #memory #dreamweaver #crashes

Every 15-20 minutes or so (not always the case, so it's quite sporadic) I am getting various "Out of Memory" options. I'm on a brand new Dell with the system specs listed below:

system-specs.fw.png

I just downloaded the latest version of Dreamweaver CS6 and from the first day of using it I experience these issues which would:

• Not allow me to upload files because DW "ran out of memory"
  • Won't let me save files when it runs out of memory
  • Won't let me check out files because of the memory issue

Is there are PATCH or something that I can do? It's quite frustrating as I'm on a brand new machine, have ample memory and NEVER had this problems with CS3. I do not have this issue with Photoshop or Fireworks, only with Dreamweaver CS6.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 29, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to RezStreamDev

Hi

Whilst running Dreamweaver can you check the processes and performance monitor in the windows task manager, (press ctrl/Alt/del to open), and how much the performance monitor is showing for the memory in use, (with and without Dreamweaver running).

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to RezStreamDev

I had seen someone else report this issue not too long ago on the Windows side same as you.  How much do you have open in DW?  I only ask because DW is a 32-bit app so it can only address 4GB of memory.  So once the DW process gets up to 4GB of memory usage by itself, it could be triggering that message.

Also are you noticing performance issues right before the error or are you just being presented with the error with no visible slowdown?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to RezStreamDev

Hi

Are you doing anything in particular when the 'out of memory' happens, such as copy/paste or dragging files or css rules?

Also is any custom Dell, (or any other) software running in the background?

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to RezStreamDev

Ok did a little searching and got pointed to a bug in Windows Vista/7 because of how it handles 64-bit vs 32-bit applications.  I cannot guarantee that the below will work, but it's worth a read-through and a possible shot.

There's something called the Desktop Heap Limitation that was put into Windows Vista/7 64-bit for 32-bit apps.  Basically the desktop heap is filling up and Windows is triggering the Out of Memory error in DW because all allocated memory to that heap has been used up.  That's the short of it.  For the in-depth read, if you are interested, here's the MSDN post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2007/01/04/desktop-heap-ov erview.aspx

The good news is, Windows wrote a patch to overwrite this issue, but they hope it works so it was never provided as a distributed patch.  The bad news is it is editing the registry, so you should use caution and always make backups in case you need to restore before making these changes.  The patch can be found at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

In theory, this patch from MS should cure the DW issue you are experiencing, although I will admit I have never used it before for any app on Windows (Mac is my primary platform but I occassionally use Windows).  So it's a use at your own risk type of feature.  As long as you backup the registry before executing I think you should be fine.  That way you can restore it if it doesn't work out and nothing is lost.

I can try to keep looking further, but right now that's where my search has been pointing me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to RezStreamDev

Hi

I would recommend reporting this to Adobe using the form at - https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=1 2

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to RezStreamDev

Did you get an answer to this? Running in to the same problem and I'm sure others are as well.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points