Skip navigation
Taffysmith
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot Save as JPEG

May 29, 2012 3:52 PM

Tags: #format #saving #cs6

I am using Photoshop CS6. I am unable to save an 8 bit  tiff or psd file as a jpeg.  When I choose JPEG format .iff is attached to the file.  When I open the same file in CS5 it works correctly. Whichever format I attempt to save as it selects the suffix for the format above.   I have downloaded again but no change.  Can anyone help me please?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 29, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to Taffysmith

It sounds like you're on a Mac and you copied over some plug-ins from an earlier version of Photoshop or else you have CS6 pointing to a folder of older plug-ins.  Both of those are huge no-nos.

Now go back and delete all the plug-ins you installed in CS6 yourself and UNcheck the option to point to an additional plug-in folder.

Install only updated plug-ins and only through their installer.  The required Adobe plug-ins are already built in and safely out of your reach so you don't mess with them.

Next time, please do a forum search before posting.  This issue has been discussed here ad nauseam.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to station_two

For Adobe personnel monitoring these threads:
    If copying over plug-ins is such a huge no-no, why do I have to go to the forums to find out? Couldn't a prevention of importing plug-ins from older versions of PS have been integrated in PS? Just a thought.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2013 5:40 PM   in reply to tom_ch

Copying Adobe plug-ins, specifically, from a prior version of Photoshop is a no-no for obvious reasons.

People, especially non-technicallly-oriented ones, often try to minimize the "computer work" by just copying their entire plug-ins folder.  Somehow it just seems like the right thing to do, I guess.  

It used to be that the plug-ins subfolder housed all Adobe-supplied plug-ins, plus 3rd party ones got added there later - so you ended up with a mix of Adobe and non-Adobe plug-ins.

Adobe made a change this time around to house all their supplied plug-ins in a different place.  Now the ONLY thing the plug-ins folder is used for is to house non-Adobe 3rd party plug-ins.  So going forward people actually WILL be able to copy their entire plug-ins folder.

The good news is that you can undo what you've done by deleting all files and subfolders under the plug-ins subfolder in Photoshop CS6, because the only ones there will be the ones you've copied.

You either have to ferret out only the non-Adobe 3rd party plug-ins and copy just them, or copy NOTHING and reinstall all plug-ins into the new version of Photoshop (recommended for non-technical users).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points