Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

Downloading a trial — problem with the Adobe Download Assistant

May 30, 2012 12:14 PM

Q: What is the Adobe Download Assistant?

A: Trial versions of Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop Elements, and Adobe Premiere Elements are downloaded using the Adobe Download Assistant — a small application that is meant to improve download reliability and avoid issues that commonly occur during large downloads, such as frequent disconnects. After the trial product is downloaded, Adobe Download Assistant should automatically start installing the product.

Q: I installed the Adobe Download Assistant, but my trial didn't download?

A: Under certain conditions, the Adobe Download Assistant installs but does not immediately start downloading the trial product. If this happens:

1. Quit the Adobe Download Assistant.

2. In your browser, return to the product trial download page on Adobe.com. Refresh the page, then click the Download now button again and follow the prompts.

Important: When you start the download, be sure to select your User folder or Desktop folder. A common cause of errors are due to attempts to download the Adobe Download Assistant to the Program Files/Applications folder. The Adobe Download Assistant only downloads the trial application files. Once the download is complete it will  launch the application installer; when the installer  is launched you can then choose to install the actual trial application into the Program Files/Application folder.

For more info, see

Troubleshoot Adobe Download Assistant

or

Adobe Download Assistant FAQ

Q: I've have a problem on Windows 7. The download manager just sits there, and does nothing, even after I navigate back to the trial page. It turns out that you can't install Flash in the Programs folder. You have to pick a different folder for ADA to actually work?

A: You are correct, the Adobe Download Assistant does not have sufficient permission to save files to the Program Files folder. If you run the Adobe Download Assistant as an administrator, or save to a different location (for example, in your Users folder), this should resolve the issue.

Q: When I try and download the Creative Suite Design Premium the Download Assistant opens and I log in. On the top it says "Welcome, User" but on the bottom right below the action bar for the download it says "Sign in ith your Adobe ID to continue" and the action/download bar just sits there. I have quit and restarted numerous times and even left it running all night. Nothing is working though. I have Windows 7 Home Premium and see no error messages.

A: Try opening your browser by right-clicking in the start-programs menu and select "Run as Administrator".

Q: I am trying to download the Premiere trial version onto Windows. I had no issues installing Adobe Download Assistant, however when I tried to log in, it came up with error 100, claiming it could not communicate with the internet.

A: Many of the errors which forum users are experiencing with the download process is due to trying to download to the Program Files/Applications folder. This seems to cause Error 100, 101, 107, and even problems with being able to extract the install files after the download completes. The Adobe Download Assistant is only downloading the install files.  Once the download is complete it will then launch the installer.  Once the installer itself is launched you can then install to the Program Files/Application folder.

Q: I've tried everything and nothing works. I'm really frustrated and I don't know what else to do. How can I download a trial?

A: Another way to get trials of Adobe software is to sign-up for a Free Creative Cloud Membership. With Creative Cloud Membership you can download full, downloadable 30-day trials of all our CS6 Master Collection straight to your desktop, and store up to 2GB of files. Alternately, you can review http://forums.adobe.com/thread/981369 which provides information on how to obtain direct downloads.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to tgough88

I have downloaded the entire CS6 Master Collection and now I get a message that i have not enough disk space, the minimum disc space I have is 186 GB - how big is this thing?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Sierra50

I need the chat person

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to Sierra50

The download has not been iniciated properly using Adobe Download Assistant. You can have look on this related forum. http://forums.adobe.com/message/4468540

Alternately you can follow the steps listed at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/981369 to initiate a direct download.

Contact Adobe Support(http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/) or Chat Support(http://www.adobe.com/support/download-install/supportinfo/)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to Sierra50

lol its not that its where u want to save the master collection

try puting it in  disk C its in my computer

hope that helped

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 9:50 PM   in reply to tgough88

I have suddenly become computer illiterate... that's the only conclusion I can draw from my total failure to install the Premiere Pro CS6 trial version for Mac.

Step1: I downloaded the Adobe Downloader Assistant installer and installed ADA in the default location (/Applications), which then was followed by said ADA launch. I logged in, selected PP and started a 2 hrs download of a 1.7 GB file.

Step2: I come back after a while and find a nice DVD icon on my Desktop, reading PP CS6: Great! I quit ADA and open that folder, to find another folder in it, with 3 subfolders and an "Install" application. Click on it. Nada. Reclick on it. Same + an error -1704 "can't open application".

Step3-30: I am cutting a long story short, but after reading all the support threads I could find, trying to reinstall ADA on my desktop, relog on the website, restart and cancel PP CS6 download a few times (without ADA noticing that there was already a 1.7 GB corresponding to that same file), and repeatedly failed to launch the install.app, I decided to act stupidely and remove all files and go to:

Step 31: reinstall ADA, re-download PP CS6.

Step 32: I waited after the install, nothing happened so I went to the new PP CS6 "DVD" and found the "install" app, which reliably did not start anything.

Step 33: I rebooted. After the reboot, the DVD was gone, replaced by an empty folder of the same name...

Step 34: me typing all this... I am using a 2011 iMac running Lion and Creative Suite CS 5.5. Thanks for any pointers...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to uwxplorer

Uwxplorer have you tried initiating a direct download per the link Manish offered in message #3?

Btw the likely cause of your issue is choosing the Applications folder to download your install files too.   The Adobe Download Assistant does not have sufficient permissions to write to this folder since it is not installing an application just downloading the install files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Jeff,

as I said, I read the support threads and discovered this "Applications Folder" subtlety and tried to work around it as described. BTW, as I mentioned, the default folder the ADA seems to want to install itself in is "Applications"... So unless Apple is providing zero flexibility to third-party installers, maybe that would be a first fix to apply to the ADA, don't you think?

Basically, you are telling me I wasted my time downloading the 1.7 GB twice as instructed using the tools provided by Adobe, and there is no fix to it except for just ignoring that "recommended" approach and using the alternate one...

Will try and report any problems.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to uwxplorer

Uwxplorer the Adobe Download Assistant installs itself to the Applications folder.  The default to download the install files though is to the User folder.  I recommended the alternate approach as it appears from this thread you have already spent considerable time trying to utilize the Adobe Download Assistant.

If you would like to continue with using the Adobe Download Assistant though then I would recommend completing solution 1 in Troubleshoot Adobe Download Assistant - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-download-assista nt.html#main_Solution_1 to reset the downloading experience.  As previously discussed you will want to choose the default location of the User folder for your download location for your install files when reinitiating the download.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 10:24 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I did download directly. That worked. Now I am reading this thread, as I was welcome by a "serious error" crash right in the middle at the start of my first project...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to uwxplorer

Excellent happy to hear you were able to download successfully.  It also looks like you have located the appropriate thread for your error.  You may also want to try searching the Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, & CS6 forum - http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current to see if there is any other threads discussing your difficulties.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to tgough88

Hello.

I have tried to install CS6 trial twice, with each attempt connected to an independent download of the 5.9GB installer to a different location.  I'm getting the same error with both the default destination (users folder) and a different location (dowloads folder).  When the installer opens the .dmg file, the checksum verrification fails.  I can still mount the installer by skipping the verrification, but then when I try to install just one of the applications, speed grade, for example, the installer fails with this error:

Exit Code: 15

-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------

- 0 fatal error(s), 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

ERROR: ASU has quit unexpectedly.

ERROR: Media DB Error : 18

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

I have tried the 5-hour download twice with the same results.  What is wrong with the installer download data?

Thanks,

Ben Hopkins

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to Benjamin Hopkins

Benjamin Hopkins do you receive any message within the Adobe Download Assistant such as the download is still extracting?  I would recommend you try initiating a direct download following the steps listed in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/981369.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 6:00 PM   in reply to tgough88

I also received the Error #101.  It is very frustrating.  I thought I would try Adobe because I was having trouble with Roxio and AVS locking up or shutting down.  I have a Very robust new computer, iCore 7, 16GB ram, 1 TB hard drive.

I guess I will go back to Roxio, at least is has downloaded successfully to my computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to cybergrail

Cybergrail can you please try the direct download option posted in Message #3 and Message #12 of this thread.

Otherwise you will want to review the troubleshooting document offered at the beginning of this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to tgough88

I have tried over and over to download adobe acrobat and cannot do it.   free trial   WHY????     kimpan       please help

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to kimberkam

Kimberkam and additional posters please make sure to review this thread in it's entirety prior to posting.  Almost all issues regarding downloading the software are covered in this thread.  There have been several posts now where users are requesting the same information which has already been covered.

If you have tried the steps in this message thread and are still facing difficulties then we need additional details to help you.  Please provide the following:

1. What error messsage are you receive?
    2. What operating system are you using?
    3. What are you trying to download?
    4. Have you tried the direct downoad option?  If so what error did you receive when trying this option?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I have LITERALLY spent all day TWICE now trying to install the trial version of CS6. I got an error message both times, even after I shut down everything on my computer during the install.... I still get a message after waiting while it installs and initializes, etc. which says, Installation Failed.Installer failed to initialize. Try again after shutting down your anti-virus and firewall (WHICH I HAD DONE AFTER THE FIRST ATTEMPT GAVE ME THIS ERROR.) I am BEYOND frustrated and aggravated.... can you help me???

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 6:37 PM   in reply to YvonneFrustrated

I am using Windows XP and how do you get to the direct download option? I am using the download installer and it will not work. Pulling out my hair here!!!! HELP!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 10:38 PM   in reply to tgough88

PLEASE HELP ME: I did the direct download for Adobe Premiere free trial and just as it was in the last stages of installing it (this is after waiting 40+ minutes for the folder to download) it just completely vanished. I tried downloading it again, waiting another 30-40 minutes, where it told me "another adobe installer program is already running, close all adobe installers and retry". Now it won't let me open anything, and there is NO adobe installer program running. I am absolutely aggravated after waiting an hour and a half for nothing, and I'm about ready to give up on adobe. Thanks for the waste of time...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 4:15 PM   in reply to tgough88

i tried refreshing the browser and downlaoding again but the download still doesnt start.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to josephinexvaldes

A gentle reminder solutions for the last three posts can already be found in this message thread.  If you continue to face difficulties after trying the solutions in this thread please review message #16 and create a new discussion thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to tgough88

hi, i was down after my cs6 efcts when suddenly stopped at 5.966 MB.

what I can do?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

where can i find the direct download option? 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to tgough88

There must be an easier way to get help if everyone seems to be having issues with trial versions where is the customer that Adobe used to have?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 1:56 PM   in reply to bruhn9

Bruhn9 did you have a specific inquiry regarding downloading the trial version?  You may want to search through the responses which are already available in the Trial Download & Install FAQ forum - http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup/ada_faq?view= overview.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

HI thanks I did look thru the responses and didnt find the answer I went in & waited for chat thanks all set now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 7:15 PM   in reply to tgough88

i just downloaded what i wanted through the creative cloud. i don't intend on using the Assistant anytime soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 7:35 PM   in reply to quarrelingPalette

that was probably a good idea I didnt know about it until I used it otherwise I would have gone thru cloud.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 8:27 PM   in reply to bruhn9

Thats what i think they are doing. Making it so hard to use the download assistant that we are forced to go to the cloud...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to André Renault

André are you facing a particular difficulty when using the Adobe Download Assistant?  If so can you please provide details regarding the error message you received and the operating system you are using?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to tgough88

I'm trying to download the cs6 master collection and when trying to download the download assistant I get this error "This application cannot be installed because this installer has been mis-configured. Please contact the application author for assistance."

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to ErinMichelle1313

Erin this topic is covered in the Troubleshooting Adobe Download Assistant document referenced in the original post for this discussion.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

iam trying to download adobe after effects cs6 from adobe Assistant but it keeps saying (error 107)

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to an h

Locking this discussion as all of the recent posts have been previously discussed or are covered within the linked support documents in the original message.  If you still have an outstanding inquiry after reviewing this discussion thread then please post to either of the following relevant forums:

Trial Download & Install FAQ forum - http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup/ada_faq

Downloading, Installing, Setting up forum - http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup

When posting please include the following information:

• What Adobe software are you trying to download?
    • What operating system are you using?
    • Is the operating system 32-bit or 64-bit?
    • What specific error messages are you receiving?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points