Skip navigation
CharPatton
Currently Being Moderated

CS3: Error "Licensing has stopped working" | Mac OS with Lion Upgrade

May 31, 2012 12:53 PM

Hi:

My trusty Adobe Photoshop CS3 has quit working with the upgrade to Lion on my Intel iMac.

Specifically, when I try and launch it now I get "Licensing for this product has stopped working. You cannot use this product at this time. You must repair the problem ..."

I went to this site for advice: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/error-licensing-stopped-mac- os.html

I followed Solution 1: Delete the FlexNet Publisher preferences folder

It didn't work.

Now I'm trying Solution 2: Run the License Repair Tool

I get to step 5g and type:

sudo python /Volumes/LicenseRecovery\ 11.6.1/LicenseRecovery/LicenseRecoveryLauncher.app

I enter my PW.

Then I consistently get an error that reads:

File "/Volumes/LicenseRecovery 11.6.1/LicenseRecovery/LicenseRecoveryLauncher.app", line 1

SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xfe' in file /Volumes/LicenseRecovery 11.6.1/LicenseRecovery/LicenseRecoveryLauncher.app on line 1, but no encoding declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details

Can anyone help? Thank you very much!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2012 12:09 AM   in reply to CharPatton

Investigate "cannot install on case sensitive volumes". I'm sure this is a similar issue here.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to CharPatton

I thought that Photoshop CS3 is PowerPC code and that Lion eliminated Rosetta for running PowerPC code.  Maybe I am wrong about Photoshop CS3 needing Rosetta?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 4:45 AM   in reply to CharPatton

This worked for me (Mac OS) :

1) you should have opened the LicenceRecovery111.dmg file and you should see in the LicenseRecovery directory a file named LicenseRecover.py

2) clic on the right of the mouse, do a copy of the LicenseRecover.py and renamed it at the end .pyOld

3) find in your Mac in the applications the Smultron.app editor (you may need to use a text editor that keeps encoding of the file when it read and save it, Smultron seems to do that), launch Smultron

4) in Smultron do menu : file - open and find, in the LicenceRecovery directory, the file named LicenseRecover.py chose it to open it.

In the options, I did not have to chose, because the default encoding (Occidental Mac OS Roman) worked for me (with menus in english then), but I think you may chose in the option when you open the file the coding : UTF-8

4) the first line in the LicenseRecover.py file was 

# encoding: utf-8

. replace it by

# --*-- coding: utf-8 --*--

. save the file

5) try to re-execute the process as mentionned (sudo python ...)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points