Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using Rotobrush with time-lapse sequence

May 31, 2012 3:48 PM

Tags: #rotobrush

I shot some timelapse of an artist drawing a model, and I'm trying to remove the background like so.

Rotoscoping.jpg

However, every couple of frames I have to fix the lines where I drew and it's getting to where I have to fix nearly every frame. There are a ton of frames, plus two other angles I shot. I only saw some video tutorials on how to use Rotobrush, but there must be something I'm missing, or maybe there's ways to make this work for me better. Please let me know what further info you require (I'm using CS6).

thanks in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to captain_astronaut

I don't think you're missing anything.  Rotoscoping is slow, tedious, horrible work.  The footage you're working on has detailed, complex backgrounds and can't be easily separated from the subjects by any software operation.  Perhaps you have the ability to reshoot the footage against a green or blue screen so it can be keyed?

You may find you can work smarter by using individual masks for objects that move, such as legs and arms.  So, you have a fixed mask for the static elements like chairs, then sperate masks for man's foot, man's leg, that sort of thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 1:41 AM   in reply to captain_astronaut

What Andrew said - roto is tedious, boring, labor intense and expensive, that's why ILM, Digital Domain and others have offshored it to China, India and other places these days. If you can, reshoot it. Otherwise you might help matters along by pre-composing/pre-rendering and cleaning up parts using masks. The chairs and canvas for instance probably do not move that much. And generously remove the excess areas left and right, top and bottom. Once that's out of the way, you can focus on the critical parts, but even here I'd probably use masks for the parts that don't move that much and only do the rest with brushing. And if you haven't noticed already - it helps a lot to have a tablet for these kinds of jobs...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to captain_astronaut

Put your clip in a comp, then use that comp as a layer in your other comp. Mask the footage in the nested comp, add refinements in teh main comp. I recommend you read the online help on nesting/ pre-composing as wel las pre-rendering.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points