Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Help | Masking layers

Jun 1, 2012 9:40 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to Community Help

Recently I made a ribbon banner with transparent folded edges.

In the uploaded image, you can see the highlighted bits I wish masked/erased out.

!http://i2.lulzimg.com/5bb2bd6cf5.jpg|alt=LulzImg - Image Hosting for teh lulz|src=http://i2.lulzimg.com/5bb2bd6cf5.jpg|border=0!

The dropshadow is a standard layer effect.

I wish to remove the dropshadow effect via either masking/deleting a certain portion of it.

At the moment I can acquire this effect, as shown in the above linked image.

I was wondering if the next version of PS could contain a feature that could instead, apply a layer mask to the actual layer style, allowing when needed to mask certain bits out of the style perhaps?

Otherwise, layer masking only masks the layer style alongside with the actual layer.

In case the above href embed didn't work:

http://i2.lulzimg.com/5bb2bd6cf5.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to Community Help

Here's a basic video guide to creating vector shapes in this Photoshop tutorial on the InfiniteSkills blog: http://infiniteskills.com/blog/2012/08/adobe-photoshop-cs6-tutorial-ve ctor-shapes/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to chrisjohnsskills

Thank you chrisjohnsskills, however unfortunately, this is not what I was after.

In a nutshell, I am looking for a way to edit the layer style of any object, be it a vector or raster image. In particular, using as an example the image I posted above, I am looking for a way to only delete a portion of the layer mask.

Maybe another way to ask this question would be;

Can anyone create a layer style for an object, and remove only a certain portion of the layer style?

Too complicated a question? If so, I will put up a video trying to explain what I am trying to achieve.

Thank you one and all.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to isa.efe

You want more control of that ribbon, separate it into three layers, which more closely models the reality of a ribbon folded back on itself like that.

Also, having tranaprency around the edges of the ribbon where it folds, and hoping that the background through unshadowed isn't right at all.

It seems to me the problem isn't with Photoshop, it's with your breakdown of the problem into layers.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to isa.efe

Being able to masks effects would be nice, but AFAIK not possible in current version.

Some effects (like drop shadow) work well as a separate layer. (Just right click on the Drop Shadow in the Layers Panel and go down to Create Layer). Now you can mask, blur, transform, whatever you want to do to the shadow.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to charles badland

Noel Carboni and charles badland, thank you both so much for your advice.

I have had matters far more pressing to contend with recently, and am unable to reply with any headsup on whether your advice is helpful or not.

When I get time, I will further look into what you have said, and try them out, to see which best answers my initial query.

Once more, thank you for your advice.

Regards,

Isa.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 7:45 PM   in reply to Community Help

Combining layer ans vector masks is a very powerful feature. You can read detailed step by step tutorial with plenty of screenshots here http://adobephotoshopsecrets.blogspot.com/2012/08/combining-vector-and -layer-masks-in.html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to isa.efe

Unfortunately your image links have expired so I can't quite see the problem you're having, but I do know that you can remove/mask a part of a layer including effects by using a group mask. This will work for bitmap or vector based masks.

Create your mask layer then hold Ctrl-Alt (Windows) whilst dragging your mask layer onto the group. This will then mask out any vectors, bitmaps and their layer effects within the group.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to isa.efe

Below layer with effects applied you have Effects title and below it listed effects names. Right click on Effects and from drop down list choose Create Layers. This will create separate layers with each effect on it - you will get raster layers without ability to change settings for effect but you can change only a certain portion of applied effect. I am still using CS5 and its possible that this feature is disabled in CS6.

You can also turn on Layer (or Vector) Mask Hide Effects in Blending Options. Turning on this feature you can hide applied effects only on masked areas.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to Community Help

Why you removed the double click on the layer mask thumbnail shortcut to access the layer mask options? The way it worked in CS5 was perfect, now if I want to change the color or opacity of the rubylith I have to have either the channels or layer mask properties panel open or right click on the thumbnail. What's the point of removing such a specific shortcut from CS6? Very backwards decision.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points