Skip navigation
Jack Mayer
Currently Being Moderated

windows>links missing

Jun 3, 2012 12:00 PM

Tags: #mac #indesign_cs5

I have opened my InDesign 5.5 for the first time (I am a long time CS3 InDesign user) and noticed that I have no access to my linked images. The menu item "Links" does not appear in my Windows menu. When I open the document using CS3's InDesign, the Links are there. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program without any change to the problem. I am using MacOS 10.7.4. Additionally, the program (until I reinstalled it) continually told me it was missing certain plugins, which were clearly properly installed and activated. Even when I reinstalled the program I had to drag and drop several plugins to get them to be recognized. I am beginning to think CS5 InDesign does not play well with Lion.

Replies
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jun 3, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to Jack Mayer

CS5.5 works ok with Lion.

This is usually a symptom of bad preferences, which are *not* cleared when you uninstall.

See Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences.

Alternatively, try a different user account as preferences are user-specific.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Forums are down for maintenance, so you may not get this for awhile, but rather than bad prefs this is more commonly a symptom of a workspace that doesn't include the command in the menu. Do you see a "show all commands" command at the bottom of the menu?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Just to be clear…the actual entry would be Show All Menu Items.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thanks, Bob.

Since I ALWAYS have all commands showing that hasn't burned into my brain.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I wasn’t sure, either. I turned a couple things off to make sure.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jun 3, 2012 4:56 PM   in reply to Jack Mayer

And a separate user account?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jun 3, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to Jack Mayer

For the Mac.

Because ID stores preferences and configurations in the user's Library directory, and there can be more problems than are removed by trashing the preferences, and there can be complex interdependencies. It's easy to test, so please try it!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to Jack Mayer

Astronomical?

Have you fully patched CS5.5 to 7.5.3? Did you purchase it from an authorized reseller?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to Jack Mayer

The point of this exercise was to verify that the problem is, indeed, with InDesign, not some glitch in your user account that needs to be fixed there. Since behavior is the same for a new user, you've established that.

I just did some experimenting here, and I was able to make ID behave as you describe, I think. Open the Extensions Manager (Help > Manage Extensions) and scroll down to LinksUI, which is the panel. Make sure it is enabled, then restart ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to Jack Mayer

Can you post screenshots, please.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer wrote:

ALL my extensions are selected and enabled, and always have been.

OK. It was worth checking.

Did you run the cleaner tool before reinstalling the last time? It certainly seems like you have an installation problem, and it would probably be a good idea to uninstall, run the cleaner (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3), reboot, and try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Jack Mayer

Perfectly OK to put the apps in a subfolder, AS LONG AS you tell the installer to do it during the installation. Unfortunatley the installer interface isn't terribly intuitive about how to do that. You need to clcik the little folder icon next to the name of the folder where the installer is telling you it is going to put things.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points