Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Remove Bounding Box (Photoshop CS6)

Jun 3, 2012 1:48 PM

Hey

since Photoshop CS5 (Mac), there is always shown a grey bounding box around the content of the selected layer, when I move it. For CS5 there exists a plugin, that removes this terrible box, but it doesn't work anymore with CS6.

Can anyone help me to get rid of this awful "feature"?

Thanks a lot

Philip

Example:

http://bilder.bseroyal.de/box.gif

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to Philip Fuchslocher

Try Command/Ctrl + H, or Command/Ctrl + Shift + H.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Philip Fuchslocher

Is it on all layers, or just text? Looks like Layer Edges (View > Show > Layer Edges), but Command+H should have dealt with that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Philip Fuchslocher

Ohh. Now I know what you're referring to. The box that appears when you MOVE an object. Gotcha. Yeah, hopefully there will be an updated plugin to deal with that. There's nothing within Photoshop, that I know of, that will turn that off.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to Howard Pinsky

You were right before. You can use Command/Ctrl+Shift+H to turn the selection boundary off. Using just Command/Ctrl+H (no +Shift) hides all guides, but only 'superficially'. It doesn't actually turn anything off. You can also use the following menu selection to toggle the boundary on/off: View > Show > Target Path.

Such a small thing, but it was giving me a twitch.

Edit: For some reason, PS doesn't seem to remember that preference after you close it down and open it again. So you may have to toggle the view each time. I'll update again if I find a way to make it permenant.

Message was edited by: MasonShew

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to Howard Pinsky

Here's a time-saving direct download link:

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photoshop/mac/13.x/Optional_Extens ions_Plug_Ins_Release.dmg

Place the "DisableDragBoundingBox.plugin" into your Plug-ins folder, relaunch and it's fixed. This was driving me nuts for weeks.

SInce I never want to see that bounding box under any circumstances, this plug-in does the trick. The caveat is: once installed, there is no way (that I can find) to toggle the bounding box back on. So if you do need it, you'll have to remove the plug-in. Thanks, Philip, for that Help page link.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to Frank Heller

Hi - I don't know if this is a more recent addition to CS6, but at least now there's another way to get rid of that bounding box. Select the move tool, and there should be a check box to "show transform controls", which ought to do the trick. The bounding box was driving me nuts as well, but it's actually quite handy some times, so... it's good to be able to turn it on and off without having to resort to plugins

http://i.imgur.com/JFBK2Il.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to Mogens Overbeck

I don't know if this is a more recent addition to CS6, but at least now there's another way to get rid of that bounding box. Select the move tool, and there should be a check box to "show transform controls", which ought to do the trick.

The original post was about a different kind of "bounding box" that was showing up as a lazy non-tracking grey annoyance as you dragged layers around in the first iteration of PSCS6. Adobe provided a plugin to deal with it (mentioned above) and that worked. The latest version (13.0.4) doesn't seem to have this bug anymore and the plugin appears to be no longer neccessary.

The Transform Control "bounding box/handles" element has been around for quite some time. Two different things. However,  your post prompted me to check the plugin fix. I removed it and discovering it was no longer needed. Leaving in place does no harm either.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to Frank Heller

Thanks for saying something about this annoying feature (or bug). I thought I was going crazy. I am using CS5 and this link was not compatible. Have been trying to the link for CS5 plug-in to no avail. Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points