Skip navigation
BlebNevus
Currently Being Moderated

Firefox plug-in doesn't work

Jun 3, 2012 2:57 PM

I’ve just installed the latest version of Adobe Reader X but can’t get it to work with Firefox 12. Whenever I click on a PDF in my browser, I get an error message saying that the file “could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.”

Here’s what I’ve already done:

1 - In Adobe preferences, confirmed that “Display PDF in browser” is checked.

2 - In Firefox’s add-ons manager / plugins:  confirmed that Adobe Acrobat is there, and not disabled.

3 - In Firefox tools / options / applications:  found 3 Adobe items, each of which offers a choice in drop-down menu between “Use Adobe Reader (default)” and “Use Adobe Acrobat in Firefox.”  I’ve tried both.  Neither works.

What am I missing?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 4, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to BlebNevus

You'll need to manually try adding the Acrobat button to the toolbar in Firefox in version 12. Choose Customize, and drag in the button titled "Convert" with the Acrobat icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to BlebNevus

Sorry for the confusion, I thought you had the PDFMaker installed (for Acrobat not Reader). Just to confirm, you don't have both Reader 8 and Acrobat X Pro installed do you? In Firefox under Tools > Options > Applications you should have  “Use Adobe Reader (default)” selected since you have Reader installed on your system.

Have you tried doing a Repair of your Reader installation from under the Help menu in Reader to see if it corrects the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to BlebNevus

Are you able to save one of these PDFs you're trying to view locally (on your hard drive) and then open it up in your browser?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points