Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Buzzhit
Currently Being Moderated

Why hasn't Adobe navigation and user interface design improved as much as it could have over time?

Jun 4, 2012 12:37 AM

I haven’t tried CS6 but I’ll go on anyway. I'm sure it's great based on what I’ve seen alone. But as a user of adobe products for a number of years, I’ve gotten to notice there still are a lot of stagnant, awkward, stiff, irritating, slowing down elements found in the navigation and user interface on cs3-cs5, that I’m sure could have been eliminated or improved on at least from 2005 or 2007 onwards. I find some of these things inexcusable and unprogressive from bad traits that defined 1980's and 1990's general computer navigation.

CS5.5 has lessened this a little and is more fluid in bits and pieces but for those using cs3-cs5 and in general, I find some things just horrid. As a graphic designer no one is supposed to admit the flaws or irritations of these programs. We must hail them as god, never criticize, and always adjust to new things which I think is a bit fascistic and silly

The way the tools, options are laid out can be improved to be quicker, and easier to find and use. Using your voice as a commanding system would be helpful as well.

A lot of cmds are too complex to remember; they can be simpler or resemble the name of the tool or option. It makes a chore to follow this system.

The way in which you lose floating side boxes, and the amount of tools or names hidden in the bars sometimes seem random and it’s always a constant search to find them in case you forget where they are.

The inability to open cs4 or 5 files in cs3 is just beyond extremely annoying. Why shouldn't you be able to open cs1 or 2 files or Photoshop 9 files as well? Every five years work expires as well?

The layering system gets tricky and seems that a lot of things don't work when you normally move things. It’s about going back, remembering and clicking on this or that, looking it up to make everything work. Sometimes which leaves you in a rut and wastes a good amount of time. You will always find this even after you've been using it for years.

The use of the fill paint/airbrushing, clone tool, lasso tool, pen tool, history being two steps back can be vastly improved to be much better to use

Masking and tools that have more complex features should find a way be automatically done or sampled. They can also have less complex steps and the ability to be previewed, automatic or simpler (in case you can't remember how to do something or aren't getting it)

A lot of the special effects, and blending modes are useless, outdated, super-ugly and don't resemble true darkroom effects (such as polarization, and bas-relief for example) which they could much more vividly done. There also could be more options that are closer to repro cameras/CTP software for half toning and more complex digital effects.

Having to press or get used to pressing multiple keys or clicks for the most basic things simultaneously can be reduced to be easier

Adjusting text, new documents, photos should have a smoother, quicker navigational experience where things a lot of room to be, clicked back, re-done, saved in the wrong place etc...

In design could use more shapes, include more features that illustrator has, and possibly even Photoshop to save time.

There should be a way to remind you of features, complex things you've forgotten, other than history and daily usage/practice of the programs

The help should resemble more of "visual -learners" guide books with voice features.

There are a lot more

Regarding other things:

I think the price encourages more piracy and allows people to not have a concept of what is means to owning software.

The loss of a manual or lessening of them for certain programs is a loss because it's always useful to own physical info you can flip through while looking at your program.

I think adobe should make entirely better products for professionals or people in the industry rather than spoon feeding the same software to all.

They should also make less expensive add-ons like before for graphic software.

I hope they never make solely download only software as well. That would take away from the notion of physically owning the software and cause problems relating to backups and installers.

What do you think? What do you think adobe could have improved on over time that they haven't?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 4, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to Buzzhit

Buzzhit wrote:

I haven’t tried CS6 but I’ll go on anyway...

There's a good way to turn off readers. Uninformed rants... Meh...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Buzzhit

I'm well enough informed to not waste much time responding to rants, especially when Claudio pointed you to the proper forum. Why do you keep posting in the wrong forums?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4461465#4461465

There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticism. Your failing is finding in which forum you should post criticism and explaining how that software might be improved. Saying that you want "more complex digital effects" is meaningless without explaining details. Your posts are meaningless. Give them some meaning in the relevant forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to Buzzhit

Buzzhit wrote:

...tried other sections ( creative suite and general forums ) twice  because a few members have told me to move relocate my posts....

You have not tried. There is no indication that you have posted in the forums to which you were directed.

Once again, post in a relevant forum...

http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites

If you want to submit a feature request directly to Adobe, post here...

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

#############

You are posting in the wrong place. Review the other questions in this "Design" forum to gain an understanding of what this forum is and how few people bother to visit here. There are only 9 of us here and only one of us was dumb enough to respond to your nonsense.

Buzzhit wrote:

...i don't know jack about software development or otherwise...

If you don't know jack then you could not possibly know what is wrong with the software you are criticizing. Give yourself some credit. You should know what you want. Describe that (in the relevant forum).  If you don't have the ability to communicate what you want then there really seems no need to blame Adobe for not being able to read your mind.  An artist that cannot communicate is an embarassment to his/her craft. Art is communication.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to Buzzhit

Your post count that appears next to your forum avatar shows all posts you have made (currently: 11), even if a moderator hides/deletes a discussion.  All your 11 posts appear to be accounted on your profile page. You have not deleted anything. Why would you have deleted a topic if it was posted in the correct forum and why would you have left the other off-topic posts in the wrong forums? That is insane.

Nobody is denying your right to criticize. You've received instruction from several individuals that have pointed you to the most effective audience for your topic. We're just trying to point you to where criticism is best seen. You are hiding it in the wrong forums.

As a student, your teacher probably pointed out what was wrong with a project and advised how to improve. As a designer, your client will tell you what they do not like about a draft and what they really wanted. It is unbelievable how you find yourself about to graduate without the ability to effectively critique. That is all that this business is about.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to Buzzhit

This discussion is now closed.

Buzzhit,

This forum is dedicated to question about design in general, not Adobe applications. Please repost your comments. You may post in a Creative Suite forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites/creativesuites_window s or

http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites/creativesuites_macint osh

Or, if you have specific ideas about how specific applications could be changed posting in the forum for that application would be best. Some of the Creative Suite applications forums have a feature request area that you can post specific ideas to.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points