Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FW CS6 - Cannot export to PSD

Jun 4, 2012 3:00 AM

Tags: #photoshop #fireworks #cs6

The CS6 version of Fireworks seems to have all kind of new problems. Like many others, I can't open a Illustrator file (no matter which version) now I found out, that an export to PSD throws the same error message (An internal error occured).

Adobe, please jump into this, the collaboration between Fireworks and Illustrator and Photoshop is essential - knowing, that it has its limitations anyway.

Anyone else having this problem too?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to NetHawky

I just tried saving as a PSD on my setup (Mac OS 10.6.8) using a simple FW document, and it worked like a charm.

When you say "export to PSD", do you mean that you're using the Save As command and choosing the Photoshop PSD option? Also, very importantly, what operating system are you using? (Try to be as specific as you can when reporting a problem like this.)

I'm no expert in internal errors, but given that you're having problems opening Illustrator documents, too, I wonder if something might have gone wrong during the installation process.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to NetHawky

I'm not seeing any answers here, but these are good pages to check out when experiencing technical problems:

http://helpx.adobe.com/fireworks/release-note/fireworks-cs6-release-no tes.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/fireworks/kb/fireworks-cs6-known-issues.html

Incidentally, do you still have CS5 installed? (Because it's OK to have multiple versions installed on your system, and it gives you a little more flexibility when you run into a problem like this.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to NetHawky

I am having the same issue. I'm on a Mac running 10.7.4 and cannot save a Fireworks file to a PSD without Fireworks crashing. This is really frustrating. I've tried everything I know to troubleshoot. Nothing works.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 3:04 AM   in reply to NetHawky

Hi All,

I've got the same issue on a Mac running Mountain lion. Is there a solution yet? It's an urgent issue. Is there another workaround?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to Beeldspraak

To anyone experiencing this problem, be sure to submit a bug report to Adobe:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to jbarousse

I am having the exact same problem. I am on a Mack with OS 10.7.5, using Fireworks CS6. When I "save as" a psd, Fireworks crashes. I have an educational version of the software, on my mac mini, not a cloud version. I've disabled all my extensions and got rid of ones created by third parties. Still no success. This is very frustrating. Not happy with Adobe at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to NetHawky

I have the same crashing problem when exporting to PSD with Fireworks CS6 (12.0.0.236) with Mac OS 10.8.2. When I tried exporting using Fireworks 5.1 it worked fine. That's not a solution for me because I'm using transparent colors that are not supported in the old version.

What I did as a workaround was copied sections of the document into new files and exported each, then spliced them back in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to NetHawky

@NetHawky: Regarding your problem opening Illustrator files in Fireworks CS6, I recently noticed the following post from Adobe:

http://blogs.adobe.com/fireworks/2012/08/workaround-for-illustrator-fi le-open-and-import-issue-in-fireworks-cs6.html

Sorry, I know this may not help Mac users or address the Photoshop issue, but it could solve at least one problem for you. (I know it recently helped another user who was unable to open Illustrator files.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 3:57 AM   in reply to NetHawky

I am having the same problems with Fireworks CS6 saving as .PSD on Mac OS 10.8.2. I get the error "Could not complete your request. An error occured." - No s*it Adobe, thanks for being so specific and helpful

Strangely though sometimes it works fine and i just did a few tests.

Disabled all extensions - same problem.

Pasted into new document - same problem.

Saved it to desktop and not the usual folder - works! - erm, what ??? The folder I tried to save to is on the same harddrive though.

I just dug a little deeper and noticed one of the folders I was trying to save to had a "/" in the name (not the folder itsself but 2 levels above it). Made folder on the desktop called "a / b" and voila, got an error.

Maybe check that none of the folders in the hierarchy you are trying to save to has a special character. Just something to try.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to NetHawky

I'm having the same problem. I just submitted a bug report. I really need to be able to use the Maintain Appearance and Maintain Editability options, but they crash every time.

However, the "smaller PhotoShop file" option does work. You have to setup your Fireworks file so everything you want separated in Photoshop is on a different layer, otherwise, it groups everything that is on the same layer and you can't ungroup the elements. This is an "extra effort required" workaround, but does seem to work okay.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to Lisa D Holmes

After several experiments i found a workaround: Pages in my Fireworks file had a relative large canvas size with much whitespace around the artwork: (2234 px x 2800 px). After changing the canvas size to 1280 px width it seems to export to psd fine.

Maybe Adobe can fix the export problem by examining the export script where canvas area is being interpreted.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to NetHawky

I'd like to add to this since I was running into the same crash while trying to export to PSD, execpt I was trying to export using Illustrator and it may apply to FW.

Running on Windows 7 x64, I was able to the export working simply by running Illustrator with elevated permissions (right click Illustrator icon and run as administrator) rather than opening the image directly. Even if your user account holds administrator privileges you still have to manually elevate. Now that may prove to be difficult if you're in a domain environment and don't have administrator privileges. That really needs to be addressed by Adobe.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points