Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Paragraph & Character Styles SO SLOW!

Jun 4, 2012 9:24 AM

Tags: #performance #slowness #paragraph_styles #character_styles

When I first heard that Adobe was going to put in paragraph and character styles in CS6 I thought, "Finally! Awesome!"

But, now that I have it and am using it I can't believe they have failed so hard in it. Every time I make a change in the style panel this little spinning dot wheel comes up and spins for at least a minute while think about making the change I made. This performance is unacceptable and needs to be addressed immediately. It even spins when I try to turn off the Preview checkbox.

I am using a Mac running 10.6.x and 8GB of memory. I have a lot of fonts installed, but that should NOT be an issue. It isn't with any other application.

Is there a way to speed things up?

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2012 3:08 AM   in reply to jumpyone

I have the same problem. Win7 64bit.

Tested on the report:

i7, 8GB RAM, SSD 120GB, Nvidia GT 230 (desktop PC)

i5, 8GB RAM, SSD 120GB, AMD Radeon HD6490M (notebook)

It seems that the increase of 4 gigabytes of RAM to 8GB with a slightly accelerated, but it still takes a long time. The more styles or layers, it is slower. Indeed, it takes too long. It should come out some updates.

Translated in Google transtalor

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 6:05 PM   in reply to jumpyone

Same story here. I love the feature in InDesign and was excited to see it ported to Photoshop as a timesaver for web mockups and other non-text-heavy projects. However it is NOT saving me ANY time. I am not sure but it seems the more places you have the style applied, the longer it takes.

I have a great machine running OSX 10.7.4 on a 1gb Radeon graphics card, 4ghz (8-virtual cores) CPU, and 12gb of RAM. I've got Photoshop working onto a separate scratch disc. This is very disappointing.

I guess I'll stop using it until they fix it.

Of course I am just running the trial version but it's supposed to run the same way isn't it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to jumpyone

I have the same issue on my Mac Pro which is much powerful machine than my Macbook Air. And surprisingly Air has no lag at all. Anyone found any workaround or help?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to jumpyone

jumpyone wrote:

I have a lot of fonts installed, but that should NOT be an issue. It isn't with any other application.

Is there a way to speed things up?

By "a lot of fonts", how many?  If more than a couple of hundred you might want to consider a font manager.  Too many fonts will slow things down I read.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I have a font manager and also have close to a hundred fonts on my machine. My MBPro is as up to date as I can get it but still PS CS6 is so slow in responding to Type commands & Layer switch on/offs as well as other basic day to day commands that I have resorted to using CS5 again.

I don't see why CS6 should be so slow when the same process in CS5 takes half the time. Nothing has changed on my end - bar the CS6 update & Install.

Can't wait for an update to address this

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to rezun8

Most likely you still have a corrupt font, OS font cache, or a problem with the font manager.

CS6 fixed a lot of issues with fonts, but we still find corrupt fonts that cause problems, and OS font caches constantly cause problems (especially on MacOS).

You might want to try the steps in this article:  http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.h tml

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I have many fonts. Default on to win 7 and 50 more so. According to Article http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.h tml I tried to check off and preview fonts and also to no avail. It still behaves the same way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to jumpyone

Painfully slow for me too. Turned off all but system fonts, cleared cache. Still slow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to jumpyone

Yeah, I'm having the same issue. I do designs in photoshop and illustrator using the paragraph styles, it works just fine in illustrator but when I want to do the same in photoshop I can't make them nearly as fast or edit them as fast. A fix for this would be really nice I am going through the steps on the page Chris Cox left us but I'm pretty sure it's not going to fix this problem for me.

Either way hopefully something will happen witht his soon enough.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to Kyle ★

If you've gone through all those steps and it remains slow - then we'll need to get more information to figure out what is happening on your system.

So far the type/paragrap/character style slowdowns have been tracable to bad fonts or corrupt OS font caches.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to jumpyone

Those applications share some code, but not everything, and we use the engines differently.

No, corrupt fonts can cause odd problems that may show up in one application and not another.

But right now we can't reproduce the slowdowns without corrupt fonts or corrupt OS font caches.

If there is another problem with the character and paragraph palettes - we need more details.

Yes, there is a known problem when moving several layers -- turn off the layer thumbnails for now to avoid that slowdown.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

If there is another problem with the character and paragraph palettes

You still working with those old, cumbersome palettes Chris?  I thought everything had been moved to new modern panels

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

So I haven't finished going through my fonts just yet but I do believe you are right Chris, I have another machine to mess around on and it was having no problems with the paragraph / character style, it was working just fine. So I'm sure that it is a corrupt font that font book couldn't find when I validated all of them. I may just make a back up and slowly add them in until it breaks again or something. Either way I'll atleast give the font name so you can add it to the list of fonts that are known to cause problems with this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to Kyle ★

Let us know what you find.

Also, (especially on MacOS) the OS font cache can get corrupted and return bad data -- make sure it gets cleared while you're testing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 6:21 PM   in reply to Kyle ★

FontAgent Pro (FAP) is pretty good at ferreting out problem fonts, finding many that Font Book and Font Doctor miss.  They have a fully functional 30-day demo version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 8:14 PM   in reply to station_two

I use Font Agent Pro v.4.2 and have not seen any slowness with Character/Paragraph Style Panels in CS6. (FAP has the ability to quarantine bad fonts.)

However, FAP 4.2's plug-in for InDesign will not work in CS6 and I have just been advised by Insider Software that a new Upgrade (FAP 5) is in the works but if I pre-order it, they will send the plug-ins which are part of their new version) for immediate use — and the new ones will work with Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator CS6.

If you use FAP, it is essential to disable or remove any other font manager from your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Ok, I've tried all the solutions posted on the link you gave earlier Chris, but I haven't been able to resolve my problem.

I also tried CameraAnn's suggestion of Font Agent Pro to see if it could find any irregularities with any of my fonts. I actually ended up removing all of the fonts I installed that aren't system  and I still cannot get this working correctly. I wasn't able to clear my OS font cache with the terminal code on the link, but I asked my coworker who is a bit more savvy with terminal than me and I ended up using this

"sudo su" *entered Password* then "atsutil databases -remove"

which spat out:

Removing: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000c4000031/C/System

Removing: /private/var/folders/_v/gqnngbvj1xjf65_fb_jth23w0000gn/C/com.apple.Fo ntRegistry

I'm not sure what else I can do to try and get this fixed. If anyone has some other suggestions or something for me to try I'm willing to give it a shot.

I've also opened up another psd file I made a while back before I started using the paragraph styles and I exprienced the same problem when I was trying to make a new paragraph style.

I really like this feature its just painful to use at the speed its moving right now for my photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to Kyle ★

I'm out of ideas as well.

Fonts are the only thing we've seen cause problems so far.

Not many people are seeing a problem with the styles - so there's some factor that we're missing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I'm going to try a few more things but I'm not sure it'll fix my problem. For now I have previews off for my paragraph styles so I can make changes to them within under a minute. I think it has some kind of rendering problem because when preview isn't on I can change this that and the other quickly. But when its on it gives me the spinning dots.

Also I'm wondering if there's a limit to how much it can handle?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to Kyle ★

We tested with tens of thousands of fonts, and complex documents.  I don't think it's a simple numerical limit you're hitting.

I still think something is corrupt or interfering with normal operation somehow.

But to figure out the details, I need a system that shows the problem, or a reproduceable case.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 7:37 PM   in reply to jumpyone

My character styles were very slow too. I turned off the Use Graphics Processor setting in performance handling. It resolved the issue for me. Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 18, 2012 8:53 PM   in reply to Kyle ★

Is there any way you can make a copy of a document that shows the problem available online?  Even just a portion of one - for example just two layers - with which you can see the problem on your system.  At the very least others can try what you're doing and report whether they see the same slowdown.

If it is reproducible with a document you provide, and it turns out to be something wrong in Photoshop itself that your particular document brings forth, Chris can get on with fixing the problem.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 18, 2012 8:54 PM   in reply to gskwed

Gskwed, your problem sounds like a display driver bug.

Have you updated your display driver from the web site of the maker of your video card?  What video card do you have?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 9:32 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

AMD Radeon HD 6750M. Haven't updated since I bought the macbook in June.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 18, 2012 9:38 PM   in reply to gskwed

Ah.  Macs don't offer the same abilities as PCs regarding mixing and matching display drivers.  You have to get your display drivers with new OS releases.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to jumpyone

GPU problem and fonts it will not. I tried everything and the problem persists. As I wrote above, makes it as the graphics card ATI and nVidia

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 20, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to jumpyone

I have been experimenting with this, and I was able to reproduce some tremendous slowdowns (many seconds) as well, especially during manipulation of the Paragraph Styles dialogs while defining a style, using nothing more than a simple document with 5 text blocks containing Photoshop's Lorem Ipsum text and the Myriad Pro font.  This is on a stable and fast PC workstation.

In fact, double-clicking a style in the Paragraph Styles panel brings up the Paragraph Style Options dialog right away, but just hitting the cancel button takes 4 or 5 seconds!  I can reproduce this consistently.

Once defined, in a single 1400 x 1000 px document with 5 Text layers, I find it takes about 0.5 second to update the text of a paragraph to a style chosen from within the Paragraph Styles panel.

I don't know whether these things should be faster, but here's the document if it's helpful to anyone.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/ParagraphStylesTestDocum ent.psd

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel, I tried your file on OS X 10.6.8.

With Type Layer(s) targeted, clicking on "Indents and Spacing" in the Paragraph Style Options dialogue results in about 10 seconds delay and a processor core being 100% utilised. There is no delay in opening other tabs of the dialogue. Clicking "Cancel" results in about 2 seconds delay.

It's even worse when no layer is targeted. The "Indents and Spacing" delay is greater than 20 seconds at 100% utilisation of a core.

Repeated several times with consistent result.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I tried styles to your PSD and there is a slight delay, but it's only 1-3 seconds.

But when I open the PSD with multiple layers of (web) and I want to change text styles, so the delay such as 20 seconds or more. And even if you only open the dialog box and press the styles cancellation delay is 10-20 seconds.

So it probably affects the number of layers.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to conroy

On a Windows machine I get virtually identical results to Conroy2009.  The only difference being that the delay with no layer targeted is about 10 sec.  

Changing font sizes in the Paratgraph Style Options happens in a bit more than a second.

Paulo

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to jumpyone

FontAgent Pro (FAP) is pretty good at ferreting out problem fonts , finding many that Font Book and Font Doctor miss. 

They have a fully functional 30-day demo version

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to jumpyone

Painfully slow here too - on Mountain Lion 16GB, as it was previously under Lion. Even Mountain Lion clean-install  was fresh - i.e. had no fonts installed other than the defaults from a clean-install, i got the same issue.

I'm inclined to feel that until it's worked out what causes the problem, using the feature actually consumes more time to use than it saves.

A real shame given that it's intention is to speed workflow up not slow it down.

Rob.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to jumpyone

Tired of waiting for Adobe to fix this issue (as well as other issues), which is clearly affecting many users besides myself. Probably many more users than even posted here. I have canceled my Creative Cloud membership.

CS6 has been out for 4 months now. It's not like Adobe hasn't had time to address the bugs. The features in CS6 are not worth  the subscription price + the hassel of dealing with these bugs + my wasted time trying to use features that simply do not work as they should.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 30, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

This is still not fixed in 13.0.1 and I can easily reproduce long delays, lockups, and crashes with simple style changes in the document I posted above.

Screen Grabs of Crash:

ParagraphStyleCrash.jpg

I had just changed the font size field to 13 pt

ParagraphStyleCrash2.jpg

Windows Application Event Log Entry:

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 13.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x5022da9d

Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f034a

Exception code: 0x40000015

Fault offset: 0x00000000000761c9

Faulting process id: 0x19a4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd86aaad63c546

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\MSVCR100.dll

Report Id: 1212ddad-f2c1-11e1-b931-005056c00008

Last logged Photoshop CS6 Edit Log.txt entries:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/Photoshop%20CS6%20Edit%20Log.t xt

There Were no new PSErrorLog.txt entries.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I haven't gotten any crashes but I am still experiencing a super slow reaction when trying to use the paragraph styles. I really like the feature in illustrator when I do work in illustrator for web it saves me a ton of time but I can't use it on photoshop which is where I'm spending a lot of time in.

I hope the log you provided will be able to give them a clue as to why things aren't working correctly. Like ribrob said I've also gotten a new imac at work fresh install no fonts other than system fonts and it still acts this way.

For now I can't use the feature as it just sucks up time, but I'll keep an eye out for a possible fix or something.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to jumpyone

So I recently had the idea of why not see if I can't just make a blank document and make my paragraph styles for my design and just save it then load it to the actual design. This worked, partially. I had to have at least some kind of text in my "blank" doc that had a paragraph style applied to it, which was no big deal to me really so long as I can just make all the stylings and just load them up and apply them to my designs. So after doing that work around I figured I had won! not really, now that I'm able to load my paragraph styles I have them all but they all changed the fonts that were set, all the color / size etc. were the same but the fonts all changed. This has pretty much defeated the purpose of the work around, I don't know if anyone is having a similar problem when loading paragraph styles or not but this is a problem.

I really want to be able to use this feature, and I'm trying to do some work arounds but its getting increasingly harder to even want to touch that aspect of photoshop :/

I hope you guys are looking into this I'm not sure what else I can do to get this feature to work but it would help my work flow a lot if I can use it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hello, same issue here, on a 27" iMac, Lion, 12GB ram, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, 1300 fonts installed.

I’ve tested with the font test script for Photoshop you provide and detected NO issues.

My issues are:

1. Character & paragraph styles is extremely slow. It gets quicker if I disable “preview”, but
    2. if I chose Basic Paragraph, to change the defaulf font, and disable preview, than PHP starts thinking fot a while
    3. I can’t write into the font field, I’m obliged to scroll the dropdown menu. It’ß not iso ith the other fields
    4. In font size field, clicking upper/lower arrow do not modify my numeric values
    5. text rendering mode option (crisp, strong etc) is missing.

More in general on PHP CS6 but not only

• I notice in general Photoshop CS6 to be much slower then 5.5 and this is totally disappointing (my machine is far from being crappy)
    • Photoshop and Dreamweaver have a focus problem, that means I click on an App window but it keeps blur (inactive | gray window bar), so I’m obliged to click on another software and go back to finally focus on my window. It happens quite systematically (60% of the times) when I leave the App with a dialog window open (like color or Character style). It must come from the non native UI you’ve implemented the Photoshop (in fact Dreamweaver and Flash already had this issue till CS4).

I really don’t get why we (the Professionals) should care about the interface color, while the speed is much more valuable; probably using a non standard UI uses huge amounts of CPU, without talking about the causal bugs you introduce, like the ones listed here.

Very bad, very sad

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points