Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting photos

Jun 4, 2012 9:49 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 4, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to Community Help

I just downloaded Lighroom 4 trial. I fully understand the benefits of editing without modifying the original photo, but that isn't what I want to do. I do want to make edits and save the edits in the photo so I can easily move the edited files around, be it on my computer or to email them or to upload to my photo website.

Is there any way to bypass the system so it always saves edited copies. Then if I ever wanted to use the more advanced feature of retaining my original file I would use it as an option. I don't shoot raw. I'm happy with jpg and I'm happy with saving edited images. I rarely do more than one edit process on an image. I usually crop, perhaps sharpen, and lighten areas only.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to jdonalds2001

There is no way to do what you want. The idea of a catalog is to log what you do with your files and track where they are.

Once you have edited a file then Exporting is the way to create a new derivative with the changes included. There is a checkbox in the ExportMenu that enables the exported file to be reimported and tracked. With the non destructive editing that Lightroom offers most users have found the need to retain exported derivatives/variants much less necessary as they can be created on demand. Emailing and uploading ffiles to websites can both be done from within Lightroom without creating extra files on disk. Generally a much cleaner and tidier way to work.

Hope that helps you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

As I said I understand the benefits "Generally a much cleaner and tidier way to work." is a comment that I do not agree with.

I like the features of LIghtroom 4 but the business of having to use the tool every time I want to email a photo or upload to my photo website is too much trouble and an extra step. Also I catalog on my hard drive, not in a photo tool. I've found over the years that using a tool to catalog has been a mistake. Adobe Elements totally failed me in this respect because it lost all of my file associations. 30,000 files had to be redone. I no longer will rely on a tool for cataloging. I use a simple file folder method.

If, in the future, I decide I no longer want to use Lightroom all of my files will only be available in their original unedited format. I would have lost months or years of editing. I've changed photo editors several times over the years.

If I export all files I'd lose my file folder management system.

I want Lightroom to over-write my original and put it back in the same folder with the same name.

Is there no help for this situation?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to jdonalds2001

jdonalds2001 wrote:

I want Lightroom to over-write my original and put it back in the same folder with the same name.

You cannot do that with Lightroom.

However, there are plugins that allow you to export your entire tree of images, and preserve the folder structure.

What I'd do if I were you is export all the images you edit to a subfolder of the original folder (call it "finals" or "processed" or some such), and preserve the originals.  Overwriting your originals is like taking a paint brush and scissors to your film negatives.  Don't do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

I have "taken a paint brush and scissors" to my originals for years and I'm quite happy to do that. Once edited I have no use for the original. Thats just wasted disk space. I think there are many others who feel the way I do. I'm not a professional shooter.

How do I find the plugin you mentioned and what is the name of it please?

I do appreciate your responses and don't mean to be impolite. It just frustrates me that I can't find a good photo editor to do what I want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to jdonalds2001

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrtreeexporter.php

I still think the subfolder approach is better.  Hard drive space is so cheap these days that it makes no sense to dump your originals.  I've done it a few times in the past and have always come to regret it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to Community Help

When i export a photo to a file like photos all i get is a thumb nail not a full view, how do i correct this so when i export i get the full size. joezywhales@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to Community Help

can you export to a flash drive? A CD is a pain. Lightroom doesn't see my flashdrive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 9:39 PM   in reply to Community Help

I have created a collection in Lightroom 4 for uploading to Flickr.  When I view this in Web Mode, I can see my simple copyright (Symbol + my name) 

on each image.  When I return to Library mode however, the copyright is no longer visible and as I use the library mode to upload to Flickr, the copyright

informattion ( Symbol + my name) is not visible in Flickr.  Is there a simple way to do this from Lightroom?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 12:41 AM   in reply to Alan_Beaton

Alan_Beaton wrote:

When I return to Library mode however, the copyright is no longer visible and as I use the library mode to upload to Flickr, the copyright informattion ( Symbol + my name) is not visible in Flickr. 

The Watermark (which can be used for displaying your copyright info on the image) is only applied on exported images by the export process, so you'll never see it in the Library module unless you've re-imported an exported file on which you included a Watermark.

In terms of the Flickr uploads, I assume you are doing this by using the Flickr Publish Service? Under the covers this is no more than an export, so the same rule applies.....i.e. you have to specifically include the Watermark feature, which you can do by editing the publish service settings. To do this, right-click on the Flickr Publish Service header and choose "Edit Settings". In the resulting dialog, make sure you select the Watermark and choose your desired copyright, and when done press "Save". IIRC, when you do the "Save", you'll be given the option to mark all the photos in the service to "re-publish" or "leave-as-is".

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 3:37 AM   in reply to jdonalds2001

As others have said No you can't do that in LR, but why not use the Elements Editor (not the Organiser) and save to psd, tiff, or jpg. Then you can move them anywhere in a fully edited state.

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 8:45 PM   in reply to Jim Wilde

Thank you very much for the prompt response and clarification.  I have now been able to

publish a number of my images suitably watermarked with a copyright and have been able to modify

the watermark on diferent sets.  Thanks again.  The flexibility and coordination of Lightroom with Flickr

has been just great.

Regards,

Alan

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to jdonalds2001

jdonalds2001 wrote:

Is there any way to bypass the system so it always saves edited copies.

You can readily accomplish what you want by simply exporting to same folder as original, with "add to catalog" checked, then just delete the originals - they'll still be selected after exporting (unless you've altered selection during export), so it's just one keystroke (Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Delete will delete all selected photos without confirmation prompt in library module), or of course you can use the delete key and answer the prompt.

Put another way, exporting in Lightroom, is the equivalent of a 'Save As', and there is no 'Save' (overwrite). But the image police won't arrest you if you delete the originals after "saving as". I do it every now and then when I just know the edited jpeg is good enough...

PS - If you're on Windows, and you are willing to endure a barrage of warnings and prompts (which can ultimately be extinguished permanently) you can automate using Exportant's "delete-originals-after-export" feature.

Rob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points