Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Rulers, the grid, and guides

Jun 5, 2012 5:45 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 5, 2012 5:45 AM   in reply to Community Help

How do I copy guides from one photo to another?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to AudoWarp

Not directly, as far as I can tell.

One could move/copy the one image into the one with the guides and save as a new document or one could use a Script to read the guides info in one document and create the guides anew in the other, I guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to Community Help

I want to know how to specify a guide position AFTER changing the origin.  I have moved zero, yet every time I drag or specify a guide, it shows or places in the reference to the original origin.  NOT what I expected!  CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to polymechmanasdsafafsfa

polymechmanasdsafafsfa wrote:

I want to know how to specify a guide position AFTER changing the origin.  I have moved zero, yet every time I drag or specify a guide, it shows or places in the reference to the original origin.  NOT what I expected!  CS6.

That bugs me, too. Thankfully, the X,Y coords in the Info Panel are relative to the rulers origin, but having to watch that defeats the purpose of the pointer coords display.

Other problems with coords...

The pointer coords display doesn't show when dragging the origin.

"View > Snap To > Layers" and "View > Snap To > Document Bounds" are ineffective when dragging the origin

"View > Snap To > Layers" is ineffective when dragging guides.

For some objects being dragged, the Info Panel coords will go blank when the pointer goes off the canvas.

When a transformation pivot is being dragged, the Info Panel coords do not update. The pointer coords display does update, but as noted above, that does not honour a non-default origin.

(Note to self: stop whatever I'm doing and report these problems as soon as they're noticed.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to conroy

This really bugs me too.  Watching the info panel doesn't allow you to do it accurately

Come Adobe - I'm sure it wasn't like that before - why change it

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to Paul Storer

What is needed is the same functionality provided in Fireworks. There you just need to click on a guide and it tells you where it is. You change the value in the box and the guide moves to that position. When you zoom in or out it stays there. If you change the position of the ruler, then you should expect the guides to read differently.

In this program it seems unsafe to click anywhere without fouling something up.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to Community Help

I am using Photoshop CS5 on Windows 7 64x.  Anytime I save a file with guides visible (PNG in this case), when I reopen the file the guides are missing.  in the View>Extras/Show> menu, the Guides option is now grayed out so the guides must be cleared out so the guides don't seem to be saving with the file.  Saving with guides visible and reopening works fine with my Mac CS5 version.  Anybody know how to get this working on Windows 7?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to bc_adobeCS

PNG is an image format, not a document format. It cannot store guides. Save the document as a Photoshop PSD (or PSB) to maintain guides.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to conroy

Quote "PNG is an image format, not a document format. It cannot store guides. Save the document as a Photoshop PSD (or PSB) to maintain guides."

True, that is the case in Photoshop.

However, those of us who are used to guides being saved with the .png document in Adobe Fireworks always find that this is a bit of a problem and hard to come to terms with when using Photoshop.

Thankfully, that is not too often.

Horses for courses!

Howard Walker

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to whatalotofrubbish

whatalotofrubbish wrote:

What is needed is the same functionality provided in Fireworks…

Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.

The "suite" concept is a fabrication of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries.

The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to whatalotofrubbish

whatalotofrubbish wrote:

Quote "PNG is an image format, not a document format. It cannot store guides. Save the document as a Photoshop PSD (or PSB) to maintain guides."

True, that is the case in Photoshop.

However, those of us who are used to guides being saved with the .png document in Adobe Fireworks always find that this is a bit of a problem and hard to come to terms with when using Photoshop.

Thankfully, that is not too often.

Horses for courses!

Howard Walker

Fireworks PNG is a document format, not simply a PNG image, therefore it can support guides. As I said, guides cannot be expected to be maintained in a PNG image file.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Community Help

I can save guides in PNG images using Photoshop CS5 on my Mac.  I can save, close the file and reopen and the guides are there.  I cannot do this on the PC version of PS CS5.  I confirmed the PC version of Photoshop must be stripping guide information out since the same file I saved on the Mac (which has guides visible when reopened) does not have them when opened on a PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to bc_adobeCS

The Mac version of CS5 saved some information which isn't supported by a file format in the resource fork of a Mac file.  (This has been abandoned in CS6.) Windows does not support Mac file resource forks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to bc_adobeCS

That's because Photoshop CS5 and earlier wrote extra information into the resource fork on MacOS.  That doesn't work on Windows, and is not very portable.

Since Apple is deprecating the resource fork, CS6 does not write that information.

So your guides are not really part of the normal PNG file.

Fireworks writes their data into the PNG file, in a proprietary Fireworks specfic format.

(sort of the same way Photoshop adds all it's data into a PDF)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to Community Help

Thank you to everyone who helped answer my question. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to Community Help

Is there a way to move the grid? I've got the correct spacing, but where I want to place some buttons, the grid is too high. I suppose I could subdivide further, but being able to anchor the 0 point on the grid would be useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to TomMxEdit

Show rulers (Ctrl+R). Drag the top-left area where rulers connected each other to move rulers or grid null point. Double click resets all to null.

ps. sorry for my english

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points