Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Bridge/Win 7 freezes

Jun 5, 2012 6:53 AM

Tags: #bridge #freeze #cs6

First week or so of using Bridge CS6 all went well, now having lots of slow downs/freezes/delays that eventually clear up (when browsing a folder of files). Once I'm able to open a file in ACR performance is fine, but this is making Bridge unsuable for workflow. Is this a known problem and is a fix coming?

JW

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 5, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

Not a known problem.  My first guess would be interference with your anti-virus program.  Try disabling it temporally and see if that corrects the problem.  If it does you need to contact software co.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

You say it worked well the fist week.  What have you added, changed since then.  Major updates, software, hardware additions?

Also, check you space on HD.  Should have 10-20 % free space to work well.

Do you have seperate drive for cache?  If you have HQ thumbs enabled and save 100 % previews that can eat up a lot of space in a weeks time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

So in edit/preferences/cache when you try to change drive to different location is that option grayed out?

Are you running on a network?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

johnwelshphotophilly wrote:

First week or so of using Bridge CS6 all went well, now having lots of slow downs/freezes/delays that eventually clear up (when browsing a folder of files). Once I'm able to open a file in ACR performance is fine, but this is making Bridge unsuable for workflow. Is this a known problem and is a fix coming?

The cache drive location porobably has nothing to do with problem.  Many users have a seperate physical drive that they use for PS scratch disk and cache storage and in that case sometimes they are amazed at how much space it can use.

Back to original post.  The slowdowns/freezes/delays you see it that when browsing files in bridge?  If so, do you see the arrow spinning in lower left corner indicating files are being indexed?  If so this can cause Bridge to freeze until it makes progress. 

You say once you open a image in ACR it is fine.  This is a seperate program so in reality you are not in Bridge anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

It appears it is looking for something, not finding it and continuing.  Have you opened the Event Log in the OS clicked on the Application tab and see if there are any warnings present?  If so expand and see if it give any clues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

Might google this and see if anything makes sense.  Here is one link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/e2 8d71ae-8fc8-437d-801b-c8d87d3251de/ that give the same report. 

MS responed but no solution offered.   Might try the suggesitons however.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 11:41 PM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

I've had the same issue with windows 7 x64

Bridge CS6 (32 bit and 64 bit) hangs when opened for 20-30 seconds. Every operation after that (even clicking on the file menus) results in the same delay.

More than one operation (ie clicking on an image then trying to navigate to a folder) causes teh window to "white out" and show a "not responding" status in the title bar.

Mini-bridge in photoshop is the same.

I've tried updating the app, disabling scripts, editing ACR settings, running as admin, checking temp file paths, disabling antivirus/anti-spyware, checking firewall settings, pulling out hair, doing a rain dance, voodoo dolls and uninstalling/cleaning/re-installing the suite (production premium trial)

No effect at all

Bridge CS6 sucks right now. Please fix it Adobe

Please?

I use CS5.5 as it is and bridge is an essential part of my workflow.

I have managed to figure out a work-around though. I run the program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (any version) and it runs fine

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to Inakretep

Inakretep wrote:

Bridge CS6 sucks right now. Please fix it Adobe

Please?

I know the pain of buying a program and then not having it work.  But for Adobe to fix a problem it must first be identified.  Then it must be reproduced on Adobe's computer so fixes can be written and tried.  And it looks like you have tried  everything I can think of.

At this point all that is known is that the program does not work on a least 2 machines.  It could be something in the OS that is not playing fair as in AppHangTransient. 

Inakretep, do you also have AppHang Transient error?

If you narrow down problem be sure to post back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Sometimes weird problems are solved by establishing a new user account.  You might try this, as sounds like everything else has been tried.

Here is a link on how to http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/create-local-administrator-a ccount-windows.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

That is really weird as Abobe says Vista is not supported in CS6.  But hey, if it works go for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

I have the same problem with Bridge CS6 on my Win7/64Bit System. But the problem came direct after installation. CS5 works fine. Please help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to dischult

By "same problem" does this mean you also have a file in appData that hangs?  By the way this is a hidden file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Which can be good, I've created a new user account, the problem is solved. How can I find out which file causes this problem ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 10:05 PM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

Go to preferences

Mac: Bridge > Preferences

Win: Edit > Preferences

Got to Cache

Empty cache

Do the same with the camera raw preferences.

Cache from a previous version might slow down a newer program.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 4:05 AM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

I tried Setting the Compatability Mode to "Vista (SP2)" and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I am going to clean out all the caches and recache just to make sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Inakretep

Have you had any luck finding a fix for your CS6 Bridge?  I have the same problem.  Have you tried the Compatibility Mode "fix"?  If so please let me know how that worked for you.  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

I just started having freezes with Bridge CS6 and Win 7 after the recent CSXS updates, but found that the Vista compatibility trick mentioned here work. Bridge was actually hung in the background and as soon as I applied the compatibility mode it immediately responded.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 10:34 PM   in reply to Yreppils

I've had no success with any compatibility mode with Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 3:55 AM   in reply to Yreppils

camera-raw-settings.gif

I read in another post (either here or another site) to disable TIFF Support in the Camera Raw Settings. That coupled with the compatibility mode and perhaps clearing the Bridge Cache may work out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to tornotlukin

This is what worked:  I re-installed CS4 and use that Bridge.  Of course I need to change the "file extension associations" to CS6 from CS4.  Works great...feels like a weight has been lifted off.  Hey you people are more helpful that Adobe Support - pretty much a waste of time, but hey I got a case number!...thanks much..........

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

HP Laptop, Windows 7 64bit.

Standard McAfee Total Protection installed and active.

370Gb+ free HDD.

Run Bridge CS6 64bit in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).

Preferences:

'Keep 100% Previews in cache' unchecked

Cache Size to maximum

Compacted Cache

Purged Cache

Removed unsed Start Up Scripts.

All working fine now, speed comparable to earlier versions of Bridge.

Didn't do any uninstall or re-installs.

Didn't create new Windows users.

At last, I can now start using Bridge again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 3:09 AM   in reply to mitelnz

thanks mitelnz for your tip im now runing my cs6 bridge (5.0.2.4 x64) on my win8 in Vista SP2 compatibility mode and works fine

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 5:10 AM   in reply to Inakretep

I have been having exactly the same problems as this and have given up on using bridge until I read this. I have set mine to run in compatibility mode for vista (service pack 2) and am delighted that it is running perfectly normal now. Thank you so much for this workaround. I find it amazing that Adobe haven't addressed this problem after the length of time people have been having severe problems using it. Poor show Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to Bobby Canon

The CS6 compatibility mode solution did not work for me.  I reinstalled CS4 and use CS4 Bridge - it works fantastic.  The down side of this is that I can't start batches from CS4 Bridge to run the job in CS6 Photoshop. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 9:13 PM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

Same problems in Windows 8, looks like they really do not care.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 9:17 PM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

Vista sp2 worked for me Thanks everyone

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to johnwelshphotophilly

I have been having problems with Bridge freezing for the past week. When I selected a thumbnail with the mouse it responded immediately. If I use the mouse to select a different file it responds immediately. If I use CTRL or SHIFT and try to select multiple files there is a delay of 3-5 seconds before it selects them.

I just tried changing the compatability mode to Vista as suggested above, and it has fixed it. I'm on Windows 7. I had tried everything else, and was finding it extremely frustrating. Why does the compatability mode make a difference?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to rob_ashcroft

Bridge is very fustrating.  I have it on a Win 7 machine, and the program stalls, hangs, and freezes.  I have tried the fixes mentioned above, but no luck.  Still looking for a fix.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points