Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Extension Manager CS6 isn't copying bundle's symlinks in OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Jun 5, 2012 9:58 AM

Tags: #cs6 #extension_manager #zxp

I have several CS6 plug-ins whose zxps all install fine with Extension Manager CS6 on OS X 10.6 systems. However, on 10.7 systems, these same zxps are being expanded by EM such that what should be a symlink/alias inside the .InDesignPlugin bundle becomes a full copy of what the symlink is supposed to be referencing. In addition to other problems, this has the unfortunate effect of doubling the installed size of my plug-ins.

For example, ./Resources, which should be a symlink to the actual ./Versions/A/Resources folder within the bundle, is copied as an actual folder containing a copy of everything that's in the real ./Versions/A/Resources. Same with ./Versions/Current, which is supposed to be an alias for ./Versions/A but is instead installed by Extension Manager as a folder containing a full copy of what's in ./Versions/A.

I'm seeing this only in 10.7. Still happens using Extension Manager 6.0.1.26.

Extension Manager's Console Log entries look normal. In the "finishing deferred symbolic links:" section, log entries are emitted for each alias and no errors are being reported.

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas? Thanks!

Chris Roueche / Em Software, Inc.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 6, 2012 2:46 AM   in reply to CRoueche

This is a known issue. OS X 10.7 seems to handle symlinks differently. The same code has different behavior on 10.6 and 10.7. We will investigate it further later.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

That's good to know, Carl. But what does "later" mean?

This particular bug would block our participation in the Adobe Exchange roll-out, as our plugins fail to work in its presence.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Also, Extension Manager works fine for CS5.5 under 10.7, but fails for CS6. That implies that it's not just something about 10.7 that's broken.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 7:20 PM   in reply to Chris Ryland

Hi Chris,

Can you send us your extensions( xtong@adobe.com ) or tell use where we can download them? We are invetigating the effort to fix it. Thanks.

Xiaoyi

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to Xiaoyi Tong

Yes, the other Chris will send you a pointer to our .zxp's that are proving problematic.

But this would seem to affect all Mac OS plugins under CS6/10.7, in that folders are being duplicated instead of symbolic links being honored. You should be able to see it with any plugin--they may not fail to work, but they'd be taking up a lot more space than they should.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 3:22 AM   in reply to CRoueche

Hi CRoueche,

We tested idcs6_Xtags.zxp with Extension Manager CS5.5 and CS6 on Mac10.7. The issue exists in both CS5.5 and CS6 on Mac10.7, although in some cases, it looks good in CS5.5. It is a known issue of Extension Manager on Mac10.7. We are evaluting the impact of this issue right now. Apart from doubling the installed size, is there any other bad effect which blocks you or your customers? Can your customers install/uninstall/enable/disable/use these symbol link extensions even if the symbol link was replaced by files? Thanks.

Xiaoyi

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 3:31 AM   in reply to Chris Ryland

Hi Chris Ryland,

Thanks for the information you provided. We tested the extension CRoueche gave us. In some cases, Extension Manager CS5.5 has the same issue on Mac10.7 too. So it is a issue of Mac10.7. You said this particular bug would block your participation in the Adobe Exchange roll-out as your plugins fail to work in its presence. Could you explain it more precisely? Can you send us your extension just like CRoueche did( xtong@adobe.com )? Thanks.

Xiaoyi

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 3:56 AM   in reply to Xiaoyi Tong

Xiaoyi,

Chris Rouche and Chris Ryland work together. They are discussing the same issue.

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Xiaoyi Tong

Xiaoyi--

As Harbs noted, Chris and I both work on the same team at Em Software, so we're talking about the same problem.

Chris can explain in more detail why this immediately breaks at least one of our plugins.

However, we believe it will eventually fail for ALL plugins on update, as Extension Manager won't find the appropriate resources. Try it yourself--install some plugins that seem to work on first installation, and then update them.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to CRoueche

To add to what Chris said, I doubt if it's really a 10.7 bug--it'd be hard for them to have such an egregious error and have no one spot it to date.

It's more likely an interaction bug between the Flash/Air runtimes that Extension Manager is running on, and some change in 10.7 behavior.

Just a theory, of course.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to CRoueche

There seems to be another aspect to this issue when trying to package an extension using Extension Manager CS6 on OS X 10.7.  If the .mxi file refers to a Macintosh InDesign plug-in, the packaging fails with the error "Failed to package file '[...]/MyPlugIn.InDesignPlugin:Resources'. The extension package will not be created."  So it's not seeing the symlinks as valid files when creating the package either.

This is also going to hold up Teacup from participating in the Adobe Exchange rollout, so from our perspective this is also an important bug.

Lawrence Horwitz

Teacup Software, Inc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to Lawrence Horwitz

Hi Lawrence,

The root cause of packaging issue should be the same as the installing issue in that both cases need symbol link copying operation, which might fail on Mac 10.7. We are evalutating the impact of this problem and the effort to fix it. Thanks.

Xiaoyi

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Xiaoyi Tong

Xiaoyi--

I think this issue affects any Extension Manager user under 10.7, as we noted above; it often fails when updating plugins, even under CS5/5.5, in our experience, symbolic links or no. (I just hadn't put the two facts together.)

So this is pretty critical, and apparently not a burning issue because so few developers use Extension Manager to distribute their plugins (partly because of its flakiness in the past, I'm sure).

So it may be past time to evaluate its impact and treat it as an emergency situation needing an immediate fix.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 9:11 PM   in reply to Chris Ryland

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for the information you provided. We are going to provide a patch for this issue, but it takes time( find a solution, fix it, verify it and deliver it ). We will let you know when the fix is available.

Once again, thank you for your patience.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to Chris Ryland

Hi Chris, CRoueche and Lawrence,

Extension Manager CS 6.0.2 patch is available now. Please download( http://download.macromedia.com/pub/dw_exchange/extension_manager/mac/A dobeExtensionManager-6.0.2-mul-AdobeUpdate.dmg ) and install this patch to solve the symbolic link file issue in extension installation/packaging. Thanks a a lot for your patience!

Xiaoyi

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 7:34 AM   in reply to Xiaoyi Tong

Xiaoyi--

Thanks--this seems to fix the problem we were seeing, at least from a simple test.

We'll let you know if we run into any further problems.

Much appreciated!

--Chris Ryland, Em Software

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to Xiaoyi Tong

Great, looks like it works in Extension Manager.

However, it looks like this problem also exists in ucf.jar in the packaging and signing toolkit.  Will it be fixed there as well?  This affects how our plug-ins work on Adobe Exchange, since they need to be signed.

Lawrence

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to Lawrence Horwitz

Yikes, that would be a disaster, as this is exactly what we're trying to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to Lawrence Horwitz

Hi Lawrence,

Yes, symbolic link files are not supported by ucf.jar, and we are developing a new package and signing tool for this issue. We will let you know when it is finished. Before that, you have to use a workaround --- replacing the symbolic link files with the files followed in your zxp file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Xiaoyi Tong

Hi Xiaoyi,

I'm not sure I understand the workaround you suggest.  Are you suggesting going into the .zxp file produced by ucf.jar, unzipping it, and replacing all the resolved links (i.e. the duplicate files) with symbolic links?  Besides being quite labor intensive, won't this invalidate the code esignature?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to Lawrence Horwitz

Hi Lawrence and CRoueche,

The workaround I mean is removing the symbolic link file in your content files, and replacing link file with the  file it follows, and then packaging and signing by UCF.jar. For example, for content files like:

FolderB

|_____FileB

FileA( sym link file ) ------> FileB

You can change them to the files below.

FolderB

|_____FileB

FileA( a copy of FileB )

The new signing and packaging tool is in development phase. We will let you know when it is ready. Thanks a lot for your patience.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to Xiaoyi Tong

Is the new signing and packaging tool you're referring to "Adobe Exchange Packager"? If so, it seems to display the same problem of not honoring symbolic links, and it won't accept my signing certificate.

Additionally, I just tried the latest version of ucf.jar, with a creation date of October 3, 2012, and it displays a new issue.  When I try to install an Extension created with that version of ucf.jar, Extension Manager displays the error "The extension 'com.[package name]' does not contain valid signature. The extension will not be installed."  The identical files work fine with the ucf.jar version with a creation date of June 12, 2012.

Lawrence

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to Lawrence Horwitz

Has anybody solved the latter problem described by Lawrence? (i.e.,Extension Manager displays the error "The extension 'com.[package name]' does not contain valid signature. The extension will not be installed.")

I just ran into this same issue with packaging with ucf.jar and attempting to install with Extension Manager 6.0.2 under Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Does doing the packaging with ucf.jar on Windows or Mac OS X other than 10.7.x solve the problem for all installation platforms?

Thanks,

--Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to Peter Truskier

Please update Extension Manager CS6 to the latest version then retry. The 6.0.3 update which released  last September provided a number of fixes including a symbolic link issue on Mac OS X. You can update Extension Manager via Adobe Application Manager or download the update from http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/ directly.

The latest Adobe Exchange Packager replaced ucf.jar with a new library to do the sign work. It is available in pre-release community now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 8:49 PM   in reply to Carl Sun

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your reply. The version of Extension Manager CS6 I am using reports that it is 6.0.5.9. Presumably that is OK?

I will check out the newer version of ucf.jar. The one I've been using is the latest one that is

publicly available.

--pt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points