Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audio limitation in CS6 multi-cam?

Jun 5, 2012 9:37 AM

I'm trying to use stereo audio from my source files when I create a multi-cam clip (I've confirmed the source files are indeed stereo as there is different content on the left and right sides and when I bring that into a new sequence on it's own the source will use 2 audio tracks).

However, if I create a multicam clip in the media browser and bring that into a new sequence, the audio becomes mono and only refers to the left side of the source files and pans that center, making the right side unusable.

Is this a bug?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 5, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to bhorv67

Maybe,, Just make sure you got the right settings in your preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 8:14 PM   in reply to bhorv67

bhorv67 wrote:

I'm trying to use stereo audio from my source files when I create a multi-cam clip (I've confirmed the source files are indeed stereo as there is different content on the left and right sides and when I bring that into a new sequence on it's own the source will use 2 audio tracks).

Creating a multicamera source sequence allows for stereo tracks and doesn't create mono tracks from stereo tracks (the merge clips function does, however). Are you sure you didn't merge clips instead? Here's a screenshot:

stereo-in-multicam.png

bhorv67 wrote:

However, if I create a multicam clip in the media browser...

Don't create a Multicamera Source sequence in the Media Browser. It should always be done in the Project panel. More info here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/premiere-pro/using/editing-mult i-camera-sequences1.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to bhorv67

bhorv67 wrote:

I can confirm this is happening (the multiclip is ignoring the right channel).

I tested again. Creating a multicamera source sequence definitely allows for stereo tracks. The problem is that you may not be monitoring them properly.

bhorv67 wrote:

When I bring the multiclip into the sequence, it only brings in one track of audio.

Did you visually inspect the multicamera source sequence in a Timeline? I ask this because workflow for multicam has significantly changed for CS6. For example, if you want to monitor all your tracks, you must open the multicamera source sequence and turn on all the tracks. Perhaps you didn't do that?

Please review the help page linked above, and go through the steps carefully. I'm sure it's something small.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to bhorv67

when I bring that into a new sequence on it's own the source will use 2 audio tracks

That's not stereo, it's two mono tracks.  PP always puts both sides of a stereo signal onto one track.

This combined with the fact that only Audio 1 comes through to the multicam sequence explains the situation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to bhorv67

If the right channel is on A1, and the left channel is on A2, then you must open the multi-camera source sequence in a Timeline and enable A2.

Here's the part of Help I wanted you to note:

By default, Premiere Pro CS6 only enables audio channel one in the multi-camera source sequence. For multi-camera editing workflow, enable other audio tracks manually before editing the target sequence. To enable audio tracks for the multi-camera source sequence, do the following:

1. Open the multi-camera source sequence by selecting the multi-camera source sequence icon in the Project panel, right-click (Win) or Ctrl-click (Mac OS) the icon, and then choose Open In Timeline.
    2. The Timeline opens. Select the audio tracks, and then enable the other audio tracks by clicking the Toggle Track Output button for each audio track you would like to monitor.

Now that your chosen audio tracks are enabled, you can close the sequence.

You should now be able to monitor both channels as you cut your multicamera source sequence.

Let us know if that worked for you.

Help article: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/editing-multi-camera-sequenc es1.html#id_60276

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to bhorv67

bhorv67 wrote:

I still think this is a poor design choice to by default only bring in audio channel one of the primary source file in the MC source sequence. All available channels of only the primary source file in the MC source sequence should be enabled by default. Then if you want the audio from the other source files in the MC sequence enabled that can be done elsewhere.

That would be a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to bhorv67

I've been a longtime Premiere user, but hadn't needed to delve deeper into Multicam sequences until a project I started today. I spent all morning and ran into the same limitation you described.

After tinkering around for a few hours, I've come up with a solution that may help out folks, even though this is an old thread back from June. Unfortunately it won't help out the Original Poster, but since this is one of the top google hits for this issue, hopefully anyone experiencing this problem will come by and see this!

Using screenshots and putting text together using Photoshop, you can view my workaround here:

The first step is creating your Multi-Cam sequence properly:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38225717/Multi-camCS6_1.png

The second step is duplicating the multi-cam sequence's audio onto separate tracks, then enabling Multi-Camera on the audio. You then switch each audio to the corresponding track number.

Hopefully that makes more sense in the image:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38225717/Multi-camCS6_2.png

It's not perfect by any means, and it's a little messy, but it'll get the job done. For me, it was a necessity as I am cutting scenes and may need to mute the boom track, adjust levels on a lav track, etc.

I hope my diagrams make sense; I sorta cobbled them together quick because I really wanted to share it with the Adobe community before heading back to work!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to justdohnut

Brilliant solution, thanks! This was precisely what I needed for a project that had a sound guy running multiple lavs and a boom into a multitrack field recorder on the set. Not at all unusual so I agree that Premiere needs a more sophisticated yet streamlined workflow for this scenario.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 6:52 PM   in reply to dburges

Thankyou to everyone who has posted up in this thread, it has helped me make sense of what to do. I still have 1 question though:

I have 1 camera recording 2 microphones. I have correctly set up the multicamera sequence with this camera selected first, so it uses its audio.

If I play that individual cameras clip in the source window, i see both my audio channels playing individually, i.e mic 1, on left channel, and mic 2 on right channel.

Once I bring that multicamera sequence into another sequence though, I see only the left channel (audio 1). So I open up the multicamera sequence and turn on audio 2.

I still only get 1 audio track of audio when bringing in the multicamera sequence into another sequence.

Yes its playing both audio tracks, but how do I go about controlling the volume individually of both microphones, without having it split onto 2 tracks?

I can obviously go back into my multicamera sequence itself, but then I'd have to find the exact points i'm using in the final edit, and adjust the audio as I want it?

What I want is basically the audio from the master camera, split onto 2 tracks as it is if you were to drop the clip into a sequence. Is this something that can be done already?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to RickerC

So even if I use justdohnut's method of duplicating the audio onto another track and then panning audio track 1 to left channel and audio track 2 to right channel from Camera 1. If I then make volume adjustments I actually get drops in the left and right channel outputs of the master audio track. Where as I'd wish for each channel to just be mono across the master channel outputs.

Like if you drop an individual clip into a sequence that has 2 audio channels that are mono, it will put them on seperate tracks, if you adjust 1 tracks volume it doesnt just drop the volume in 1 channel of the master output, but rather drops the audio in both channels.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 7:52 PM   in reply to RickerC

That is strange. If you've duplicated the audio onto another track there should be no need to pan anything. Did you enable multi-cam on the duplicated audio track? When you've enabled it, you need to switch the multi-cam to Audio source 2, and you should get what you want with that method.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 11:09 PM   in reply to justdohnut

Yes! Excellent I got it working. What I didn¹t realise was that camera 2 in

the multicam selection referred to audio track 2, I thought it referred to

the actual cameras sources. But like you said in your previous post, as long

as there is the same amount of video tracks and audio tracks it'll see the

audio tracks as different cameras.

Thankyou

Craig

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers