Skip navigation
Stevedocmaker
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 - Generating Peak Files every time I open the same project?

Jun 5, 2012 1:42 PM

CS6 wants to generate peak files every time I open the same project.  I had a similar problem once with CS5, and when I unchecked the box telling the applicatio to save media files near their originals it went awat.  But this box is still unchecked, and yet PP keeps wasting time and processing with this task.  How can I get the program to recognize the Peak Files it has already created?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 6, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

I am having the same problem and don't understand either.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to FasanoUnderwaterPro

Same problem. Very time consuming with 200 clips

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

This is actually a issue I have noticed a few times as well while using the Premiere cs6 trial. Hopefully adobe will be able to address this issue or at least explain how to fix it. Because I never had this problem with cs4-cs5.5

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

You need to tell Adobe, so the information gets to the programmers

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Done

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

Same problem here.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jun 20, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

I have the same issue... Mac with SSD and space is a premium... not only does it conform and generate peak files multiple times which is time consuming... it also significantly increases the amount of SSD space being consumed and that is costly...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to rlmilton

I'm a complete PP newbie, so I'm not sure if I'm having the same thing: everytime I open my project it says something along the lines of "conforming clip X of X" at the bottom. I currently have over 8,000 clips so it takes quite a while to complete. I just assumed this is normal behaviour for PP, so I didn't bring it up until seeing this thread. Is it not supposed to do that?

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

GTX 285 (latest)

Matrox Mini Max (3.1)

PP 6.0.1

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to conleec

In past versions of Premiere, I would only see this happen upon first ingest of the media. After that, it would never occur again unless your cache was deleted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to conleec

Please post the bug request at the link posted by John T Smith so we can get this taken care of.... the more that post the sooner it gets fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

I have had a similar problem which I also first thought was normal for Premere. Here's a post with the same thing happening in CS5.5.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/857988

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to Glitchdog

That appears to be about Windows... maybe similar, but these seem to be on Mac

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to Glitchdog

Well upon getting to the office this morning I read what it actually said, and it says LOADING file x of x, which I assume is normal? So in my case I don't think it's actually regenerating anything, simply validating database links?

Chris Conlee

Mac Pro (4,1)

OS X 10.7.4

24Gb RAM

nVidia GTX 285 (CUDA 4.2.10)

Dual Monitors

Matrox Mini Max

PP 6.0.1

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

Actually it's also a issue with the windows version of cs6 as well. Because it kept happening to me over and over again. It also happens to one of my co-workers who is on windows 7 as well. My co-worker and I have both reported the bug to adobe so hopefully they will be able to resolve the issue shortly. Because quite frankly I had to quit editing certain projects with Premiere CS6 because I have well over 400 clips in some of my projects and it gets a bit old having to sit there and wait for it to conform the same files over and over every time I open the same project over and over again.

Other than this issue though I haven't really had any problems with Premiere cs6 although this one is a rather annoying problem to have...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

The ability to control peak file generation was added as an Audio preference in version 6.0.1

See http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/05/premiere-pro-cs6-6- 0-1-update-bug-fixes-and-improved-opencl-performance.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

It didn't fix my problem either, it just continues conforming things over and over even after I disable it...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

same problem here, anyone found a solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

I filed a bug on this against CS6. I remmeber it well because it was the #1 pain point for my own workflow projects. But it's media-specific so it hasn't been fixed for everyone. The media I was using to get the bug was 720p motion jpegs inside an mov wrapper. (system file info shows Codecs: Photo - JPEG, Linear PCM) The only workarounf is to transcode to something different.

In order to escalate the bug, what I need from each person is to know what kind of media you can repro it wth 100%. The main info I need is:

File format

Codec

Resolution & Interlace vs Progressive (720p, 1080i, etc)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 5:47 PM   in reply to jstrawn

Good to hear that. I havent ran into the problem in quite awhile, but oddly enough all I did to fix it was I ended up doing a reinstall of CS6 (then updated the software) and the problem went away. The media I was experincing the issue with was BMD's MJPEG codec. So apparently it is indeed media specific. We actually experinced the issue with very similar media.

The media it occurred with for me was

1920x1080i (uff) using the BMD MPJEG codec inside a .AVI cotainer.

I can't reproduce the problem anymore though, sorry. Basically when it was occuring simply opening a project caused it to occur. Even though it had already loaded the files several times before.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to jstrawn

I'm having problems with the following format:

File format: MPEG Movie

Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)

Resolution & Interlace vs Progressive: 1440 x 1080 (1080i), 25fps

video files were captured with Premiere CS6 from a HDV tape

(an mp4 file in the same project that was imported as an existing file doesn't have this problem)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

@ ComputerNovice: Thanks for the info. It is helpful and I added it to the exisitng bug report. I'm glad it went for you, but what I was encoutnering definately did not go away after re-install, which i would have done daily back in the CS6 dev timeframe.

@ Bugzke: Thank you as well. it is really helpful to have al the specifics listed out liek that so i can jsut paste it right into the bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to jstrawn

I've had this problem since CS5, so consider my skeptical Adobe is ever going to fix it. It happens to me with 720x480 29.97i DV MOV files as well as 1920x1080 29.97i AVCHD MTS fies.

Part of the time what happens is everything conforms, I alt-tab out of the program and back, it begins to re-start comforming all over again but then crashes. If I restart the program it does the whole process again but usually won't crash.

Lately I can alt-tab in and out numerous times and without fail, something will always start re-conforming.

CS6 on a Mac Pro with Mountain Lion.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 8:41 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

Same problem with PP CS6 trial after latest update.  The link provided above to report it doesn't work anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to William Boswell

Folks, please just list your media spec out like this:

File format: MPEG Movie

Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)

Resolution & Interlace vs Progressive: 1440 x 1080 (1080i), 25fps

video files were captured with Premiere CS6 from a HDV tape

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to jstrawn

File format: QuickTime MOV

Codec: ProRes (Proxy)

Resolution & Interlace vs Progressive: 1920 x 1080 (1080p), 23.976fps

video files were transcoded via Final Cut Pro Log and Transfer from tapeless media that was transferred to a shared network drive

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to Diego F L

File formats: QuickTime MOV, Windows AVI, MTS

Codecs: DV, DV, AVCHD

Resolution & Interlace vs Progressive: 720x480, 29.97i, 720x480, 29.97i, 1920x1080, 29.97i

video files were recorded onto a DTE FireStore FS-100, captured by Sony Vegas Pro Video Capture, off an SD card from a Panasonic HMC-40

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Dec 5, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to jstrawn

Same issue here.

File format:  MPEG

Codec:  Canon MXF

Resolution:  720p 60fps

Loaded to HD using Canon XF ultility and then imported into Premiere CS6.

Tries to conform on each load.  Worse yet, enabling automacitc peak file generation in preferences causes media to "drop out" the next time the project is loaded, displaying the "media pending" screen.  Trying to quit then causes Premiere Pro to lock up.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to SB Cook

Thanks everyone for your feedback. That is enough ro escalate the case for now. You can add more specifc case if you want, but the fix will need to be bigger than just addressing specific file settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to jstrawn

I am a relatively new PP user.  I just brought the editing staff in our company over to PP from FCP 7.  We are now editing all new shows in PP.  The redrawing is indeed an issue, especially since we tend to have 2000+ clips in our shows between video and audio components.  We shoot in XDCAM HD, 1440x1080, 35 mbs. Usually 2-3 camera shoots, 100-200 clips per disc per camera, 2 discs per camera per show.  It is a lot of material, but we found by putting 32 gigs of ram in each computer that we only wait about 1 minute for all the files to regenerate, or conform, or whatever they are doing.  Ram is pretty cheap now, and it never hurts to have more.  Might be a fix for some until Adobe can figure out how to just read the files that have been generated.  We are using 2011 8 core MacPro's with NVidia Quadro 4000 cards.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

Hi All

I am a new CS6 user (used older version until recently). The generating-peak-files-every time-you-open-a-new-project bug is a serious one for me.

Is this bug finally solved? In which version?

Specifics are: very simple files (SD, PAL 50fps). It strikes me that this bug has not been solved upon the first user complaint, because in CS3 or PPro 2.0 this has always worked fine.

Btw: we are working with W7. Is that perhaps a part of the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to Moergestel TV

(SD, PAL 50fps)

That's something of a contradiction.  SD had only one frame rate, 25i, or 25 interlaced frames per second.  50 fps didn't show up until the advent of HD.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Hi Jim

You are right, it should be SD, PAL 25i. I am still wondering however if the Generating-Peak-Files-Every-Time-... bug has been solved by now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 3:59 PM   in reply to Moergestel TV

The problem is that it doesn't happen for most people.  So it's hard to say if it's a bug or just a local issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 3:01 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

It's a bug, but only for certain filetypes/settings. And no it's wasn't fixed as of 6.02... I can't comment on anything beyond that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to jstrawn

only for certain filetypes/settings.

Ahhhh...that explains much.  Hadn't thought about different media types being a factor.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to jstrawn

Dear jstrawn,

Could you please indicate for which settings and file types the bug does not appear? After two months of "getting-used-to", we are beginning to make some more complex shows now (with over 100 clips) and CS6 turns out to be completely unusable for us with DV-PAL.

Right now we are doing the simple stuff on our 16GB i7 PC with W7 and CS6 and the complex things on an old machine with WXP and PP2.0. An awkward situation, isn't it?

Would switching over to 720p50 be a solution? And which settings do you advise to prevent the "generating peak files..."-bug?

Thanks in advance for your reply

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points