Skip navigation
SSVCIT
Currently Being Moderated

How do I disable the hardware acceleration in Flash player on a Windows XP machine remotely?

Jun 7, 2012 2:23 AM

Tags: #flash #hardware #settings #windows #xp #acceleration #player

How do I disable the hardware acceleration in Flash player on a Windows XP machine remotely?

I have a few hundred computers running Adobe Flash Player.

The operation system is Windows XP.

They are Compaq 6005 desktop PC’s, with an inbuilt ATI radeon HD 4200 video card.

We have a persistent issue where viewing a flash video (e.g. something on youtube) causes the video card driver to crash.  You are left with no video signal to the monitor.  Audio continues and the computer still responds to commands. This only happens when watching flash video.

We have tried:

Updating flash plugin (numerous versions)

Updating the video card drivers (we have tried the last three video card driver versions, including the HP drivers and ATI drivers)

Updating the browsers (this problem happens with IE8/9 and Firefox10/11/12)

There seems to be two ways to work round this issue.  One is to disable the video acceleration in the ‘troubleshoot’ section in the advanced part of the display settings area in windows.  The other way is to start a flash video, right click, go to ‘settings’ and untick the box marked ‘Enable Hardware Acceleration’.

Doing either of these things allows the user to view flash videos with no apparent issues.

Is there a way to disable the hardware acceleration in Flash without visiting the PC?  Perhaps an undocumented option in the mms.cfg file? I understand that you can use an option to skip the video card check, and so force hardware acceleration on, can you do the opposite?

Thanks in advance

Daniel.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to SSVCIT

Hi,

You might want to move your question in a larger Flash forum.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points