Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat 10 won't start anymore

Jun 7, 2012 9:53 AM

Love how you spend thousands to get the latest software from Adobe, and then when you simply need to open a PDF file right before a presentation, the application won't open.

Found one discussion that advises to uninstall and the reinstall.  Seriously?  And I need to download Adobe's special "the regular uninstaller process does not work so use our alternate" tool?

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to hbax450

Hi

I have the same problem, acrobat 10 as part of the creative suite suddenly refuses to work, just not loading!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to bajmichael

Same problem -- tried to use acrobat this AM, it won't start.  Nothing interesting in the system logs. Dang adobe.

However, reader does work, so check that, and maybe you can open pdf's just to ready them if you need to until they figure out the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to hbax450

Same here.

It was working in the morning, I opened few files, than while reading some PDF it literally dissapeared from the screen, with no error of any kind.

Since this time, it will not open at all, no errors in Event Log or screen. I tried to reboot, later to repair - no effect.

I'm getting pissed, lot of work still ahead and I can't even read simple PDFs.

I'm on Win7 x64, Acrobat X Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to hbax450

In act of a bit of desperation, I tried solution described in here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/error-pdf-creation-cannot-continue.h tml

I couldn't find anything in solutions 1 and 2, but number 3 actually did the trick, Acrobat started and asked for SN, than for the moment it is working normally.

Essentially, I deleted cache.db file from

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\cache

maybe this will help somebody.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to ChrisCiapala

Adobe support also had me try this, which temporarily solved the problem (after reactivating), but after a few hours the problem is back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 2:15 AM   in reply to kdwinton

For me problem also returned after some time. I contacted Adobe Customer Service second time and they told me this time to first download Application Manager (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4773) which couldn't detect that I have Acrobat installed at all. So I was instructed to remove existing Acrobat installation, but without any special cleaning, reboot and then install again, using App Mgr. Somehow ESD image was a bit different than one downloaded via App Mgr and it is working from yesterday without problems so far.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to ChrisCiapala

Problem has also recurred for me again, after adobe support agent had me delete the cache file and immediately reboot, saying that would fix it permanently--but today same problem.  I will see if I can try the app mgr solution.  Very disappointing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to ChrisCiapala

I deleted the cache.db file, Acrobat X started up fine then.  Then I went to attach a pdf file to an email, and it stopped working again.   Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to hbax450

Same problem running CS6 Master Collection Acrobat X Pro on Win 7 64-bit.  Had just created a .pdf from a webpage by printing to Adobe PDF.  Gave the file a name, saved it, it popped up on the screen just fine and then Acrobat promptly disappeared.  Now Acrobat will not launch.  Have tried the usual gambit of solutions to no avail.  Seems obvious to me something in the last update FUBAR'd Acrobat.

Sorry for the blow by blow that is about to occur below, but I am trying to give as much info as possible so that maybe Adobe will get this fixed ASAP. 

I just deleted the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\cache\cache.db file. That does allow acrobat to launch, but it launches to the EULA agreement (see screenshot).

adobe1.PNG

I click "accept" and it there is no animation on the button.  It acts like it is not accept the selection, but if you wait a couple seconds you get this screen:

adobe2.PNG

Apparently I have a trial good for 89+ years :^)...  anyway, click to License This Software and get this screen:

adobe3.PNG

I select Sign In and it takes it a bit, but eventually gets to provide serial number screen:

adobe4.PNG

Of course, guess where my license number is?  Yep, saved as a .pdf.... so I exited out of the license page (NOT backed out) and restarted it with the intent of using it in trial mode to get the license number I need.  When it launched, it went to the splash screen and seemed okay, so I open a file and it seems fine. 

I then click help>product registration.  It brings me to the CS6 Master Collection screen and asked for me to enter my adobe id/pw.  Upon doing that, I receive this

adobe5.PNG

And it appeared to be working now.  Acrobat is showing me it is at version 10.3.1

But it is buggy.  I can work in a file for a few minutes then the Master Collection Trial page already shown above pops up, my license status that was okay a few minutes ago is now back to "Complete/Update Adobe ID profile and we are in a loop of following the above steps over and over.  *sigh*

I've got things to get done today!  I'm going to use it for a while and see what happens. 

I'll post an update later. 

If anyone has any ideas or further info please let me know.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to hbax450

Same problem here on two different computers: Acrobat X as part of Design and Web Premium CS6 (installed about 30 days ago, activated, TLP-License) wont start anymore, after the Acrobat window disappeared while reading a PDF. After System restore to a automatic restore point, Acrobat works again for about 20 Seconds, window disappears again, then wont start anymore.

Does someone have a final solution?

THX!

Werner

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to WernerPMuc

seeing that many Acrobat X users having the same problem and no cure yet!! my question is: WHAT IS ADOBE GOING TO DO TO FIX IT??

Deleting the cache.db file doesn't help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to TheBitBug

UPDATE:  What I did is still working, as far as having access to and ability to use Acrobat Pro X.  But I do constantly get the popup about the product being in Trial mode and asking if I want to register.  And some of my CS6 suite shows I need to complete/update Adobe ID profile and even if I go through that it doesn't upd ate the registration to completed.

In agreement with those who have said where is Adobe on this.  It obviously is a problem that needs to be resolved.

Until then, I guess I will keep being annoyed with the trial screen

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to hbax450

I just wanted to add that I also had the issue and removing the cache.db worked for me.  Not sure what happened.  I had actually opened the PDF and was viewing it and it shut down automatically.  I tried to open it again and nothing.  I rebooted, repaired, still would not come up.  I removed the cache.db and reinserted the serial and it works great again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to TheBitBug

It just did it again.  And, similar to when it did this to me the first time, it happened while converting something to .pdf. 

Last time it was a web page through printing to an adobe PDF.

This time it happened while saving an illustrator file to PDF format for sending off to a print house.

Is anyone else having this happen under these circumstances?

Urrgggghhh!!  This is starting to cost me time....

I'm newer to these forums.  Can anyone tell me if Adobe monitors them for issues or do I need to more formally tell them elsewhere about this bug?  Is there anywhere they keep track of/acknowledge known issues they are tracking/fixing?

Thx!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to TheBitBug

I was on the phone with Adobe, on Friday, for over 2 hours. Installed, uninstalled, cleaned etc., nothing, It still didn't work. I tried all of your workarounds and still nothing. The case was escalated and I was assured of receiving a phone call on Monday with a solution. It's Tuesday. This is really getting tiresome. Have any of you found any other answers? It's Adobe's problem and I can't understand why there isn't a fix on the way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to CyndiJ

I submitted a bug yesterday to Adobe just to help pressure them to look into it.  It only started happening to me yesterday.  It makes me wonder if some new patch came out, windows, anti-virus (I use Bit Defender), java, or something else that is conflicting with it.  I still have not found the problem and mine was solved for a couple hours by removing the cache.db file, but it reverted back to not working.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 5:41 PM   in reply to WernerPMuc

30 days (probably to the second) when Acrobat X spontaneously quit and stopped launching for me. (Ironically, I had an independent license for Acrobat Pro X that never gave me any problems. When I bought the CS6 Master Collection, I removed the 'independent' license for Acrobat X and installed it as part of the Suite.) What a headache!! Adobe, come on! After all I spent on this Suite... and being an 'early adopter' against my better judgement! At least let us know what the hell is going on! I'd like to at least know that you're working on a fix!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to hbax450

Same problem with me on both my desktop and laptop installations of Design Premium CS6 for Acrobat X.

Costing me SERIOUS money.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 12:12 AM   in reply to hbax450

Same problem, A-X Master Collection CS6. Unusable after 30 days from instalation. Maybe some  "cool" adobe antipiracy feature, which annoy life to all except pirates.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 2:03 AM   in reply to Miroslav Vavrin

My thoughts exactly. I asked several times tech support person what is happening and why Acrobat looses activation, but I was ignored.

But as I mentioned before, reinstall using Application Manager helped in my case

Cheers

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to ChrisCiapala

I am on Windows 7 64 bit (not sure if everyone else is on a PC too)

I have had this problem arise today, I have 2 start up disks with two installations of the CS6 Design Suite with Acrobat X Pro fully updated, on both the problem has surfaced, Acrobat does not start or open any PDF anymore.

I have read and trued deleting cache.db on one installation, I went thru all those windows and had to retype serail number. And it worked!

But only for a few time, it open once, a second time but sometime later I opened a PDF and a few seconds later Acrobat suddenly cloed down, no erroe wahtsoever appeared. and then no more.

I went to the other installation and updtaed and launched Adobe Applicxation Manager, it says I have some applications (illustrator,....., but not Acrobat X Pro), installed, OK. I installed again from that windows Acrobat Pro X. When finished it states that and asks for launch now, perfect, i clicked there but nothing happens, i 2 click some PDFs and nothing happens.

So I am stuck there too.

Should I call Support or is any authorized voice telling us why it's happening, how it can be solved or if we have to wait for some kind of patch or update. Meanwhile I will try to uninstall it and place back Acrobat 9.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Federico Platon

Hei!

Same here! In my Sony Vaio laptop (win 7 64 bit) Acrobat X stopped working today (No error messages). It was installed (10.5.2012) in part of Master Collection CS6. I did repair installation, but it didn't work. Quite strange, that all these cases happened about one month after installation!?!?

Pekka Nurmela

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to pexi100

Is everyone hitting this at about 30 days after install?  I just checked my install date and this happened for me at the 30 day mark.

Where I'm going with this is, if it is at 30 days, is it some kind of bug with their licensing rights.  i.e. it thinks it in in trial mode and at 30 days (end of trial period) shuts itself down?  I'm trying to find the commonality here.

I think it is obvious at this point no one from Adobe is monitoring this feed.  I'm going to suggest that everyone contact support and tell them about this feed and how many other people are experiencing this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to pexi100

I just got off the phone with Adobe tech support. Mike was able to help me. He thought that the problem had something to do with a conflict between my stand-alone version of Acrobat 10 and the intgrated version that came with my upgrade to CS6 and one that was in CS5.5. He wasn't sure why it started when all of yours started since I upgraded several weeks ago. He took a look at this forum and he is looking into it. He said that although these forums are moderated, if something like this goes wrong, it is better to call Adobe support rather than relying on a moderator to spot a problem.

We uninstalled the standalone version and reinstalled it as part of the suite. He did delete the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\cache

This will cause the suite to ask for the serial numbers for the upgrades and for supporting products. After several times of providing that infromation, shutting down the machine and testing that all the products worked, Acrobat is working after several restarts and a total shut down.

When we uninstalled the stand-alone product and went to the installer for CS6, only Acrobat was shown as needing to be installed. That was good.

He feels that there is a conflict between CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 instances of Acrobat. Again, he doesn't know why, but he will find out. He was very knowegable. Uninstall Acrobat and reinstall as part of your suite. So far, so good. If this doesn't work, call them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to CyndiJ

Nice job CyndiJ!  I'll give it a go and post results.

While I don't have a stand along version of Acrobat, I do have Master Collection CS4 on my system.  I jumped from that to CS6 and left CS4 on my system.  You and Mike may have hit the nail on the head with the two versions of Adobe Acrobat conflicting with each other, although I'm not sure why it was fine for the first 30 days of my using CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to CyndiJ

Unfortunally the problem also exists on a clean installed computer with design and web premium cs6. Acrobat X will refuse to work after about 30 days...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 1:18 PM   in reply to hbax450

Just wanted to join the fray... same issue here up in Toronto (where the computers are colder so you'd figure we'd have a better time of it).

Good thing Acrobat stopped working right when I desparately needed to use it or I'd think Adobe had actually done something right for a change.  Phew - back down to earth - now if the Baltimore Orioles will just stop winning everything will be as it should be.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to CyndiJ

Thanks CyndiJ - will give this a shot - what I dread is when the several dozen deployments I've performed of CS6 recently all go belly-up... does Adobe expect me to manually go around uninstalling/reinstalling?  Haha - class action lawsuit in full effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to Shh.On

That would suck dude!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 9:52 PM   in reply to WernerPMuc

Same problem here.  Clean install of Win7 x64 and Creative Suite Design Std CS6, no stand-alone or prior versions.  That was exactly 30 days ago today, and now Acrobat will no longer load.  I tried deleting the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\cache\cache.db file and re-did the serial number etc on launching Acrobat, but as soon as I reboot it no longer works again...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to timeshiftingnz

Hei!!

As I wrote yesterday, that Acrobat X Pro stopped working in my laptop (win 7 x64). Today back in home, I opened my desktop machine (win 7 x64) and guess what?... Same thing happened on that computer. CS 6 MC was also installed 10.5.2012. Repair installation didn't help. Hope Adobe get this fixed really soon!!!!

Pekka Nurmela

""Hei!

Same here! In my Sony Vaio laptop (win 7 64 bit) Acrobat X stopped working today (No error messages). It was installed (10.5.2012) in part of Master Collection CS6. I did repair installation, but it didn't work. Quite strange, that all these cases happened about one month after installation!?!?

Pekka Nurmela""

|
    Mark as:
  • David Kastendick
    3,239 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Jun 14, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to pexi100

Hello everyone,

Could you please try the following steps based on your operating system:

Windows:

• Uninstall Acrobat (either as a stand-alone installation or as a component of your Creative Suite installation)
    • Run the Acrobat Cleaner Tool to remove any remnants of the application.
    • Reinstall Acrobat X through either your CS6 installer or the Adobe Application Manager (Creative Cloud subscribers)

Mac:

• Uninstall Acrobat (please check both Applications\Adobe Acrobat\Uninstall and Applications\Utilities\Adobe Installers for available Acrobat uninstallers)
    • Run the CSCleaner Tool and Remove Acrobat.
    • Reinstall Acrobat X through either your CS6 installer or the Adobe Application Manager (Creative Cloud subscribers)

-David

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

I installed Acrobat X with the CS6 Design Suite.

Can I still use the Acrobat Cleaner Tool?

There is a note on the tool which says:

IMPORTANT: This tool is not for use with any Creative Suite Products including suites that contain Acrobat.  It can only be used with standalone versions of Acrobat and Adobe Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to obmet

I am no authority on this stuff, but you may wish to look at this other thread for what I tried, that so far in hour 3 since I did it, is working....

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4493065#4493065

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to TheBitBug

I tried TheBitBug solution.  It has been working for an hour even after a couple of re-boots.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

Yes it did work for me thanks!  I didn't quite follow that order though, I ran the cleaner, uninstalled CS6 with remove preferences checked, and then reinstalled everything.  The cleaner does remove a CS install of Acrobat, and while the CS6 uninstaller still thought Acrobat was installed, it did completely remove CS6 ok.

Hopefully I'm not back here in 30 days time!

Thanks,

Matt.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to obmet

Excellent! I hope it keeps working for us!  I will post right away if mine craps out again, but I've got my fingers crossed.

|
    Mark as:
  • David Kastendick
    3,239 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Jun 14, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to TheBitBug

Hi TheBitBug,

Thank you for sharing the solution that's working for you so far.  We really appreciate it!

We haven't been able to reproduce this problem internally which is why the troubleshooting steps I proposed were so generic in nature.

-David

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points