Skip navigation
rsnoke
Currently Being Moderated

"Please upgrade to the latest version of Fireworks to continue using CSS Properties Panel"

Jun 7, 2012 12:16 PM

Tags: #cs5 #css #panel #fw

I am now receiving this message when I try to use the CSS properties panel in Fw CS5. 

I think it's unethical to offer a custumer something, then remove it later only to make it available through an upgrade...

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/fireworks_css3mobile.html

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to rsnoke

I agree. That sucks.

Particularly when standard features within the application fluctuate from one version to the next. A user may find him or herself returning to CS5.1 even after they've upgraded to CS6, because a change within the latest version doesn't suit them. Or they may wish not to upgrade at all because of those changes.

That said, I also think it's written into the fine print that when you download something from Adobe Labs, it's basically on loan to you until further notice. You'll notice on that download page, for example, that the version is listed as Preview 1.

I haven't downloaded the CSS3 Mobile pack yet, but I'll give it a try and let you know if my experience is any different from what you're describing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to rsnoke

Incidentally, files relating to the CSS3 Mobile Pack can be found at the following locations (on a Mac):

Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fireworks CS5.1/Extensions

Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS5.5 Service Manager/extensions

However, if you wanted to uninstall it for any reason, I'd use the Adobe Extension Manager CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 11:22 PM   in reply to rsnoke

FIRST OF ALL, IF YOU LOOK AT THE LINK ABOVE: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/fireworks_css3mobile.html   IT EVEN STILL STATES ITS FOR AND -----WAS CREATED FOR--- CS5!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTFFFFFFF!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 11:55 PM   in reply to JessicaMarie_halo

That's a good point. It's entirely possible that this feature might have been a tipping point for some purchasers of CS5.

I'm not aware of Adobe actually removing a feature like this before. One would hope that improvements made to the panel in CS6 would be enough incentive to draw users to purchase the new version, without having to use this approach.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to rsnoke

Adobe Labs offers prerelease versions of software. Once the final version of the software is officially released, the test versions may become invalid.

http://labs.adobe.com/about/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to Linda Nicholls

Thanks for the link, Linda. This the "fine print" I was referring to in my first response to rsnoke.

Maybe it strikes me as different when it's a component of a piece of software that a user has purchased (and it's being promoted in some ways as if it were a piece of that software).

Also, a lot of Fireworks extensions in the past have been created and distributed by independent developers for free, and some of those have been incorporated into Fireworks itself, yet the old versions weren't suddenly yanked out of users' hands. (Thank goodness for that!)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to groove25

It's sad to see Adobe removing a extensions functionality only to force you to upgrade!

Come on! We are talking  about only a small extension not a whole program. Pathetic!

Are they that desperate to make money?

I wonder what kind of marketing policy they use.

"Never create a solid relationship with your customers

every now and then totally disappoint them and always

remind them that nothing is for free at Adobe!"

I have two complete suites from Adobe so that implicates

a upgrade of  many euros.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to BITESBITER

Agreed.  It is very sad.  I just looked at the link I had posted back in June of 2012 where it stated clearly on the page the panel was created for CS5....and now a almost a whole year later, probably after reading these posts, lol, that same page now states...

"We appreciate your interest in the Adobe® Fireworks® CSS3 Mobile Pack. This technology is no longer available for download on Adobe Labs. However, your feedback has allowed our engineering team to respond and shape the software in a way that meets expectations. Many of the input that we received has directly gone into the features that are now available in Fireworks CS6"

Thanks Adobe. That's pretty wrong.  Gave it and then totally took it away.  Like waving candy at a baby, letting them take a lick telling thm they can have it then handing it to the kid next door.  Except we paid, the baby didnt pay for the lollipop they didnt get, LOL.. So maybe its more like paying good money for those shiny new alloy wheels you paid for, then having your new car delived without them.  Then after being ignored for a whole year asking where are my shiny new alloy wheels I paid for??? The company turns around and says, oh you have to buy a new car!!!!!!!! They're no longer offered with that Model!   HUHHHHH?????!!! But I already paid for them---A WHOLE YEAR AGO!!!!

TOTALLY Unethical and sneaky way to pressure people to first buy CS5 and now to upgrade to C6. Wow.  I really don't know why I am so shocked.  Makes one wonder what other sneaky and unethical candy waving they will do with their future products.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to JessicaMarie_halo

Yes it was clearly advertised as a extension for Fireworks CS5.

I have never seen any warning that it was only a demo with for limited time.

I even purchased the book: "Using the CSS3 Mobile Pack for Adobe Fireworks CS5" from Jim Babbage.

Not a word is spoken about any time limitation of the extension in the book.

For people with 2 complete suites like me it's insane to update for such a small (but important!)  function.

This reminds me of the CS5.5 upgrade trick with the Canon XF305 video-codec for Aftereffects and Premiere-pro.

It was already promised in the CS5 version and advertised, but did not work proper in CS5!

Everybody with a Canon XF305 was forced to upgrade to CS5.5. to be able to work with their video files.

I wonder who is doing the Adobe marketing, because I think that person missed some  crucial lessons at

the university.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to BITESBITER

ANYTHING released from Adobe Labs is temporary/demo/preview or time restricted only. In fact, its 'use at own risk' and not ideal for production environments. Its merely meant for mass testing and public feedback until, or when the final is released.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to heathrowe

It's a pity that most information about the extension is gone!

It was introduced as a extension for Fireworks CS5 not as a demo or a trail.

http://blogs.adobe.com/labs/archives/2011/10/adobe-fireworks-css3-mobi le-pack-released-to-labs.html

This is all I can show you!

David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points