Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

eyedropper tool for Defringe?

Jun 7, 2012 12:34 PM

Tags: #adobe_camera_raw

While searching for instructions on how to use the new Defringe controls, I came across mention of a an eyedropper tool in this Lightoom Journal blog - New Color Fringe Correction Controls http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-corre ction-controls.html

I cannot find an eyedropper tool on the panel. The blog is dated April 25 - so I assume the eyedropper tool did not make into ACR 7.1. Is that correct?

The blog does explain the Defringe controls - but the image examples provided show the results of using the controls, not the actual settings used to achieve the results. Would like to find more instructions.

The eyedropper sounds useful

Description of Eyedropper Tool

The 4 global Defringe controls above are powerful, but new users may find them tricky to learn. For this reason, there is an “eyedropper”tool so that users can click directly on the image to help set the appropriate parameters.

Using the eyedropper for Defringe is similar to using the eyedropper to using the White Balance selection eyedropper: when you’re in the LensCorrections -> Color tab (so that the Defringe controls are visible), select the eyedropper and click on a fringe in the image. It helps to be zoomed in (e.g., 200% or even 400%) to facilitate accurate color picking.
Clicking on a pixel will cause the Defringe system to perform a local analysis of the pixels in the neighborhood, resulting in one of the following 3 outcomes:

• It determines that you clicked on a purple fringe, and it automatically adjusts both the Purple Amount and Purple Hue sliders.
  • It determines that you clicked on a green fringe, and it automatically adjusts both the Green Amount and Green Hue sliders.
  • It determines that you clicked on an area that was too neutral or outside the supported color range (e.g., all white or gray area or an orange color) and reports an error message.

While moving the eyedropper tool over the image, you will see the eyedropper icon change to purple or green and the Purple Hue or Green Hue slider highlighting. This shows approximately what hue you’re currently targeting, and which of the two fringe colors (purple or green) would be adjusted if you were to click.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2012 5:45 PM   in reply to bmad2012

You must be in PV 2012....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to bmad2012

While in the Lens Correction/Color Panel, Cmd/Control click on a fringing pixel and you will then activate the Eye Dropper tool which will show you the color of the selected pixel and automatically set a suggested amount for correction.

Work at 200% so that you can see what you are selecting more clearly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 8:46 PM   in reply to bmad2012

bmad2012 wrote:

Thank you CameraAnn. I could not find this solution - where did you find it?  Not an obvious solution. BTW you do not have to be in PV 2012 - the eyedropper trick works in PV 2010.

Eric Chan described this in some notes which he posted earlier. I don't remember exactly where but possibly in either the Lightroom or Photoshop CS6 Public Beta Forums.

I do agree with you about the Missing Manuals and am a little surprised that at least a set of preliminary PDFs could not have been posted on the day that the CS6 Suites shipped. Having to wait a month for the CS6 Manuals when so much is new in this version is not making things very easy for Adobe's customers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points