Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Deleting a Guide InDesign CS6 Bug

Jun 7, 2012 2:47 PM

When I open a document created in InDesign CS5 in CS6, the guides are locked, and there is no way to unlock them. Trust me, that was definitely the first thing I checked. These guides can not be deleted or moved. Looks like a bug, but maybe there's a work around? Any ideas? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to togglemedia

Is anyone else having a problem with simply selecting newly made guides?  For some reason, my curser wants to select whatever is under them rather than the guide itself, and I am pretty close up when I am trying to move the guide.  Any ideas?  I have checked everywhere I can think of to see if the guides would be locked (not locked in Guides or Layers).  I would appreciate any help as I keep moving items on my page instead of moving the guide.  Thanks!  (This document is a catalog created two years ago in ID CS4 that we are currently updating.  I am also finding it difficult to move the photos in a frame with the direct selection tool.  It moves the entire frame instead.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to Graphic Squirrel

Are they on the master page, perhaps?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks for your answer.  No, it wasn't on the master page, but that is a place I hadn't checked.  The selection tool had actually changed to a hand tool and when I clicked on the black arrow icon in the toolbar, it said (V, something...).  I had to move away from the page to the art board and drag the hand over the guide to get it to select it.  At that point, the hand changed back to the arrow.  Now I notice that the arrow has a little square beside it.  This must be something new that I need to look into.  Perhaps there are multi functions to this tool now?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:59 AM   in reply to Graphic Squirrel

If you were over the center of an image you might have run ito the Content Grabber donut.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 12:06 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

No, I got rid of that annoying little thing as soon as possible.  I don't know why the hand kept showing up when I clicked on the black arrow...very odd...and then it went away.  When I try to duplicate the issue, I can't, so it must have been a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to Graphic Squirrel

Perhaps you double-clciked without realizing it. That switches between tools, but in CS6 it doesn't change the tool in the toolbox.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I think that must have been the problem.  I discussed it with my colleague and we think I must have missed the guide and grabbed the photo underneath. When I didn't move the guide, I am sure I clicked again in an attempt to grab it, at which point the arrow turned into a hand to move the photo, and then when I clicked on the artboard, it changed back to the selection tool.  I seem to be having a problem selecting guides in 6, though, which I didn't have in 4.  I wish there was a way to adjust the tolerance of the tool. 

Thanks for your help!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points