Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 has problems with Cannon .mxf files that CS5 plays fine

Jun 7, 2012 7:03 PM

On CS6 there are occational visual glitches that resembles DV drop out. A 1 hr spanned clip has audio going out of synch, audio length not matching video lenth.

Camera: Cannon XF100

Footage : 720p 60fps 35mbs

system Windows 7 Pro

premiere CS6.01

Core I7 930

16 GB ram

sysem drive: 128GB SSD

2 X 1TB media drives

GTX560

The same clips copied from the same flash card to a CS5 system plays without visual or audio glitches.

Core I7960

CS5.03

12GB ram

1tb media drive

gtx480

Any clue to why CS6 is having issues with the same footage CS5 is working beautifully with?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2012 8:57 PM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 8:57 PM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

I also use the XF100 and have just about the same system setup as you (24GB RAM, Core i7 2600).  I have not observed any video glitches, but it doesn't mean I don't have them.  I just finished my first big shoot using two XF100's and I'm going to edit in CS6, so you have me a little concerned.

Could you describe the issue more?  Does it happen at the clip breaks?  How can you tell the audio doesn't match video length?  Are they different lengths on the timeline?  It could be that it's the conformed audio file.

How are you pulling in the video?  I've found that if I allow CS6 to interpet the spanned video as a single clip, it will conform the audio and it takes forever.  I have found it much more productive to just copy the individual MXF files to my system, and only the MXF files.  Then import them as assets and PPr will not conform the audio, it will just create PEK files for the audio waveforms.  I then select all the separate ~2GB clips and drag them to the timeline and they play fine.  For the multicam, I'll just bring in the first MXF file from each camera, sync them by timecode, then bring in the rest of camera "A" and the rest of camera "B".  Again, I haven't observed any issues, but it doesn't mean there aren't any.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

I'm really sure the audio thing is a problem with conforming the audio.  I suggest you try this:  Copy the MXF files from the souce folder (the CONTENTS folder of the memory card) to another location on your system.  Just the MXF files.  Import those into PPr.  If you keep the folder structure or the supporting XML files of the flash card, PPr will try to make one clip out of the spanned files.  By putting just the MXF files in a folder, PPr will treat them as individual files and more importantly, it won't create the CFA conformed files.

You might be able to prove this by exploring the media cache folder on your system and looking for a CFA file for every clip.  I'd bet one is missing, or a lot smaller than the rest.  From your timeline grab, it looks like one of the audio tracks is around 7 minutes shorter than the other or the video track.  A 35Mbps 720p60 file is ~2GB or roughly 6min 57sec long.

Of couse, I could be very wrong (probably)....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 4:19 AM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

Stephen,

Read post #74 in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1009064?start=50&tstart=60

In Canon XF Utility, use either Merge Each Clip or Merge All Clips if you have spanned clips. (You have spanned clips)

Then, delete all Media Cache Files and the Media Cache Database in Premiere Pro CS6 and import the footage. (You can find the file paths in Edit > Preferences > Media)

/Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 1:44 AM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

I thought mabye because CS6 can not be perfect to deal with the Canon MXF.

Look your mxf files:

Camera: Cannon XF100

Footage : 720p 60fps 35mbs

And Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 offers full native format support for the HD and SD video formats used by

Canon XF MPEG-2 codec.

You can try to process the XF100 1080/50Mbps files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to Averdahl

Averdahl wrote:

Stephen,

Read post #74 in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1009064?start=50&tstart=60

In Canon XF Utility, use either Merge Each Clip or Merge All Clips if you have spanned clips. (You have spanned clips)

Then, delete all Media Cache Files and the Media Cache Database in Premiere Pro CS6 and import the footage. (You can find the file paths in Edit > Preferences > Media)

/Roger

I know Adobe is working on it, for now use the method Roges is describing, it has worked for others too as far as I know.

/Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

I'm using a Canon XF300 in the 1080i 50Mb/2 Mode and in CS6 some of the clips mute suddenly and I have to reopen the project to get back on track. And it happens again and again. In CS5.5 the clips work just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Chathuranga Lasiru

Hi there

I have had the same happen to me once, I deleted the xmp files, and all was good again.

For me it was on MXF files created via the XF utility. It has only happened once for me on a few small clips. It was the whole clip, and the waveform was fine.

Don't know if anybody alse have seen this, but as said I have only had it once - so far :)

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to UlfLaursen

Thanks for the reply mate,

Yeah I tried deleting the XMP files but didn't work. And I usually just copy the files from a card reader to the hard drive without using the XFutility. I really like all the features in CS6 and this just ruins everything. I hope I'll find a fix for this soon or else it will be putting $3K into the garbage and switching back to CS5.5

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

Hi, i am having trouble importing these files to Premiere at all, any help?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to GodsMaker

Hi GodsMaker

What is your workflow?

I always copy the whole topfolder of my memory card to my media drive. I then point to that folder inside premiere pro and import from there.

Can you not get any footage in at all?

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

I have seen these glitches also on the video but not on spanned clips (don't have any)

Even saw part of the audio gone.

Exported the mxf files to one folder with the XF utility.

Relinked the files and problem seems to have gone.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points