Skip navigation
Admiral Cook 169 posts
Jul 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

[CS6] DV - Bad output quality

Jun 8, 2012 4:46 AM

I have a problem with DV output quality in Premiere CS6 6.0.1.

Nonrendered  and rendered video looks the same on external monitor - blurish.

- Mercury Software only

- DV PAL sequence

- DV AVI video + Premiere title

There is also bigger delay than with CS5.5 with outputing through firewire. It takes about a second to update image on external monitor after clicking on different part of the timeline.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 8, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Admiral Cook

>solution or patch planned

You need to tell the Adobe engineers https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to Admiral Cook

Hi AC,

Make sure that you've selected and setup the Adobe DV playback preference under Edit > Preferences > Playback. This should help resolve the export to tape problem. Make sure to report back if it doesn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to Admiral Cook

Correct. There is no external device option as in previous versions. This is now handled as part of the transmit feature and is selected in the playback prefs. If you are using a combination DV/HDV device, make sure to go into the device's menu settings and select DV as the VCR mode. If the device is set to Auto or HDV, it won't properly detect the incoming signal. Once you tell it what to expect, it should work correctly. Make sure you've setup the DV Device Control options for your device (also under preferences). With the device connected and powered on, the device control options should show the device status as "online".  Now choose File > Export > Tape and you should be good to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Admiral Cook

That looks logical, since hardware MPE always uses maximum quality and software MPE does not by default.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to Admiral Cook

Hi AC, from your screenshot you've selected Adobe DV as one of your Video Devices for transmit, but have you also selected it as your Audio Device?  This is similar to the "External Device Audio" setting for DV playback in previous versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Admiral Cook

Hi AC,

Great, so during Export to Tape, the CTI is moving now right?

If you want to turn on the setting Harm suggests for comparable settings in Software mode, go to Sequence > Sequence Settings, and under Video Previews, choose Maximum Render Quality.  Then try recomparing.

Zac

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Admiral Cook

Admiral Cook,

I agree with your finding.  PP6.01 doesn't roll the timeline when "Assemble at timecode" is checked.

My VTR's will go into REC mode but no data is coming into the machine via firewire("No input" error message on SONY DSR-1500A), Premiere timeline does not play as VTR is recording. 

Unchecking the Assemble edit option, deck records, timeline plays, data is output via firewire.

I have the same results on SONY DSR-1500A, DSR-45 and DSR-11 tape machines.

Using the same hardware and PP project file/settings works under PP5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to Paul@NYSMSC

Thanks AC and Paul@NYN, we've opened up bug #3286805 and our QE will do some further investigation.  We appreciate you providing your deck model info.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to Zac Lam

Zac,

Glad to hear QE is going to be looking into this.  I had to go back to 5.5 for output today.  Lucky for me they were easy timelines to recreate.

There's some details I didn't include in my bug report, can you see that QE gets the following additional info(or is there a way to append to an existing bug report?). 

- Once the "Assemble at timecode" option is attempted and fails, any subsequent record attempts fail as well.  Until I toggle off/on the Adobe DV Video Device in the Preferences/Playback dialog.

- This bug issue occurs whether MPE is in Hardware or Software mode( I'm using a Quadro 4000).

- From this User's point of view it seems that, in Assemble mode, the application is not properly "seeing" a record acknowledgement from the deck, it's just sitting there waiting to roll the queued timeline.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to Admiral Cook

I actually missed quoted one of my VTR models, the DSR-11 is actually a HVR-M15U(I tell PP it's a DSR-11 in the device config.).  FWIW, at least we are seeing the issue in both PAL & NTSC worlds.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to Zac Lam

I'm glad you guys are figuring out the export to tape issue, but you totally ignored the blurry DV output problem! I'm having this same issue. CS5.5 was fine as were all other previous versions (back to CS2). This is definitely broken in CS6, as outlined in many other discussions here.

When are you guys going to fix this!?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to Paul@NYSMSC

Thanks Paul and AC, I've updated the bug report with your VTR model info.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to Zac Lam

Still waiting on a fix for the DV output on PPro CS6....this is seriously cramping my style as I must output in DV to beta for the majority of my work, and it looks really bad!

Please fix this! Pretty please?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to AlanP1964

Strange, it looks on this subject that "export to tape" worked fine in CS 5 as stated in this item. But for me in CS 5 and 5.5 "export to tape" fails also.

And this is a main problem for me, because I use DV tape to archive my editing results. And without this feature PPRO 5.5 is not working for me. I have to export the project to a second computer on which PPRO 2.0 is playing, and with PPRO 2.0 I can "transport my project to tape".

When I try  export to tape in CS 5 or 5.5, the recorder start to record, but there is no video and no audio signal on the output. I did try two recorders and tried a lot of "external device" possibilities. "Capturing from tape" goes well.

I also did try the suggestions Harm Millard gave on one of his valuable forumsuggestions , to quit CPU accelerator and to change the IEEE driver into the "old" driver. But that didn't help much.

So Iam wondering if CS 6 has solved the problem, but it seems not. In that case the engineers of Adobe did not solve the well known "bug" in CS 5. and I think I will not upgrade my CS 5.5 into 6 if this issue is not solved correctly. Pitty

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to Chris Nierop

Hi Chris,

Just to keep things straight, not being able to "Assemble at timecode" in CS6 is a much different issue than not being able to "export to tape" in CS5x.

Anyway in CS5x, if you have device control for your VTR(play, stop, record, etc.) then your hardware is happy.  Sounds like your software may be misconfigured.  There were two settings needed in CS5x to make PPro send timeline data out via firewire.  In the Playback settings dialog "Realtime Playback/External Device" and "Export/External Device" should each be set to your DV device:video standard.  See post #8 in this thread for an image(CS6).

Also, if you are using CUDA hardware, the CS5x release of the MPE needs to be set to software mode in order to have timeline data sent out via firewire.  This has been adjusted in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to Paul@NYSMSC

Ok that I misunderstood. But the solution you suggested: What do you mean with the settings you mentioned. If I go to preferences - device control -options, the videostandard is correct, the device brand is correct and the check status says "Online". The "Devices"option is set to DV/HDV Device control. That seems correct because capturing goes well, and the recorder starts recording when I push the record button in "export to tape", but no picture and no sound is recorded.

I can't find your playback setting dialog in the menustructure. Or do I miss something. Thanks for replying

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to Chris Nierop

Chris,
    Either use the icon, like Admiral Cook suggests, or in the Sequence menu choose "Sequence settings..." then "Playback settings".  Once those settings are confirmed, you should be good to go.  Let us know...

Admiral:  Thanks for posting the images, saved me the effort.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 1:30 AM   in reply to Paul@NYSMSC

Admiral Cook/Paul

That was the problem. In my system the option in "playback settings" is normally set by me on the 3e monitor setting, together with a second videocard driving this 3e monitor during editing. I wasn't aware of the fact that this influenced the "export to tape" function. So changing the settings allow me to export to tape and Iam ready for upgrading to CS 6

Thanks for the usefull information

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 5:33 AM   in reply to Chris Nierop

That's one of the nice features of PP CS6, I can use my second monitor as an output screen and send out the timeline via firewire at the same time, with MPE on.

Now if only I could properly Assemble edit via that firewire connection...

Zac Lam:  How does one get the status of a bug report?  Specifically,  bug #3286805?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Paul@NYSMSC

Hi Paul, the info in the bug database isn't publicly accessible.  You've helped a lot by providing specifics for the bug report, and our QE is taking it from here.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Zac Lam

Are you guys ever going to fix the DV output quality issue outlined here and elsewhere in these discussions? I'm on 6.02 now and it is no better than it was. Worked fine in 5 & 5.5, I don't see how this could be so difficult to fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 7:26 PM   in reply to Admiral Cook

I have the same problem (video is displayed with reversed fields through DV output) this is completely unacceptable as I work with a lot of interlaced SD video and I need to be able to preview it and check quality while I edit, and using the DV cable has always been the easiest way of doing this (has always worked fine until CS6)

I only way I can get it to play out properly is by interpreting the footage as upper field, I also noticed that when I did this horizontal lines i.e. text became sharp when viewed through the program window, which normal happens if you bring in a video which premiere has incorrectly interpreted the field order i.e. lower field mpg – which previous versions of premiere always got wrong.

I’m assuming premiere CS6 has a bug in the way it interprets DV files – it thinks and says they are lower field but in reality the software has really interpreted them as upper field.

ADOBE PLEASE FIX

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to Admiral Cook

I've just confirmed this problem is happening on both Mac and PC - looks like someone at adobe has screwed up and when premiere interprets footage as DV Lower field it is actually interpreting it as upper field first (within the software) but still indicating that it is interpreting it as LFF!!!

Try manually interpreting DV footage as upper and it will play back with out the blur/flicker (it’s a temporary workaround but this is a unacceptable bug)

I have sent a bug report to Adobe, I advise everyone else to send one in as well so we can get this fixed ASAP.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points