Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

No sound in Flash

Jun 10, 2012 2:55 AM

Upgraded yesterday to Flash Player 11.3.300.257 (Vista 32, IE9). Now no sound on any flash content (Youtube, BBC, etc). Non-flash content on youtube is fine, just Flash.

Have tried options suggestions on help pages (unistall/reinstall, etc.) - No luck?

Any suggestions?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2012 3:38 AM   in reply to CharlieORourke

See also thread Adobe Forums > Flash Player > Using Flash Player > Discussions > Problem with sound after update

some bug in Flash Player 11.3 in all Windows versions, must be solved by Adobe System, but please quickly!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to CharlieORourke

Unistall the latest Flash update and reinstall the previous Flash 11.2 here's the link

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp _11.2.202.233_archive.zip

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 5:31 PM   in reply to CharlieORourke

I lost all sound on Flash Player a few days ago - have a Mac OS X 10.6.8, Safari 5.1.7 and Google Chrome 19.0.1084.54.  I

downloaded 11.3  and uninstalled Safari and uninstalled and reinstalled 11.3.  No luck.  Any one have any other ideas - would

sure appreciate hearing them.  Spent hours trying to get this to work correctly.

Odd that Flash Player isn't going into Applications - going on the desk top.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to pArthiva1

I have downloaded and successfully installed (or so the system said) Flash 11.2 but I still have no audio via the internet.  One site I try to access tells me it needs Flash player.  I'm running Vista 64 with IE9.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 11, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to GKezarik

Can everyone running into sound issues please post their system details (instructions for generating this information can be found here: Windows, Macintosh).  In addition, please try playing audio from both of the test links below, if audio fails for both HTML5 and Flash Player, then you might be running into a problem with your browser / audio mixer.

HTML5 Audio Test

Flash Player Audio Test

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 11, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to CharlieORourke

Thank you Charlie for adding the bug.  Could everyone affected on this thread please visit Charlie's bug, add your dxdiag reports and cast a vote for this to be fixed?  I'll be following up internally to escalate this issue.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3210964

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

June 11, 2012.  Windows Vista 32.

After installing the update for Flash Player - 11.3.300.257 - on 6-10-12,

I have no sound on the internet in Firefox, Chrome or Safari.  I do have

sound with IE9.  I also have sound from itunes files that are on my

computer.  I have checked that all browsers are the most current

version and gone through the items on this adobe help page:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-games-video-

or.html

Thanks to Chris Campbell at Adobe, for posting the sound samples

to try. I get sound on the html sample.  With the flash sample there

is no sound, the player is stuck at "loading" even after several

minutes. I have also filed a bug report including system details.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 9:10 PM   in reply to CharlieORourke

Potential fixes for Flash Player audio problems, see http://www.codecguide.com/fix_for_flash_sound_problems.htm

Message was edited by: Pat Willener; poster reports that this does not fix the 11.3 audio problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I've read the forums and I've done everything I can think of to get my sound to work.  I even installed the Adobe uninstaller and ran that but according to the Adobe page it is still installed.  That really makes no sense to me.  I ran both audio tests with the htmls giving me sound but the other never stopped loading.  I had no sound with it at all.  I will be filing a report after I post this. 

This issue needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY as I am going to college online and that requires me to watch and LISTEN to videos!  I can't do that if my sound is not working!  I have even tried to revert to the previous Adobe before the update but that didn't fix my problem either.  This is a HUGE problem for those people like myself that are REQUIRED to have sound on the internet for more than just "play" purposes.

Maliria

:::added later:::::

I have uninstalled the latest version and returned to 11.2 and I have sound in Internet Explorer 8 but not Google Chrome.  Still working on trying to fix the problem with that now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to pArthiva1

We maintain a version of Flash Player 10.3 with the latest security updates.  This might be a better choice, as it contains fixes for issues in the field that Flash Player 11.2 would be vulnerable to.

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris

I did the test with the HTML5 vs Flash and the HTML5 worked ok but not the flash.  Sent in a bug report and hope it helps.  The thing is that the test workes fine in IE 9 but not in Chrome19 in my Vista machine.  Hope you guys get it fixed up quickly.  Oh, it also works fine in my Ubuntu Chrome19 so there you have it.

thanks

Greg

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 13, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to G1988

Thanks Greg.  In the interim, you might want to downgrade to a previous version until we can work this out if it's blocking you from doing stuff on the net.

How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Will this work with Google Chrome because according to Chrome they automatically update their browser to the newest version of Adobe and that is currently why my Adobe still has no sound but my IE does?  Thanks for the advice.  I've uninstalled Chrome and re-installed it but it didn't solve my issue because of their automatic upgrading.  Advice besides using IE because it really is too slow for the internet browsing and gaming that I do.

Mal

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

HI, windows 7, IE 9 - no sound.

Definitely a bug somewhere!

How do I go back a version?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

My issue is a little different, I do get sound but only through subwoffer. The other speakers in my 5.1 surround get nothing. It works fine on the html5 test but not on flash. I submitted a bug report with my dxdiag info. I'm running win 7 64 with latest Google Chrome browser and realtek onboard audio. BTW...Just checked and IE still works fine but shows flash ver 11.2.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to Jeromie Clark

I am having the sound problems after updating Flash 11.3.

I have now removed teh software and followed the links to install both the 11.2 and 10.3 versions.

However, when I click on for example flashplayer11_2r202_233_winax_32bit.exe,

during the installation, I get a message that says this is not the latest version of Flash and it won't let me continue!

What is the point of redirecting people to old versions, if the installer won't let you install them?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris:

How does one get around the problem of the 11.2 and 10.3 installers refusing to install and giving the error message that they are not the latest versions of the software?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 14, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to dk37920

Quick update.  The video / audio team is still hard at work trying to fix the audio problems introduced in 11.3.  Would anyone in this thread be willing to test a build of Flash Player that contains a few changes and additional debug logging functionality?  If so, please contact me directly at ccampbel@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 14, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to dk37920

You'll need to use the stand alone uninstaller.  This FAQ should help:

How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hey sure I will like to test your latest Flash update hope you guys checked the code before executing

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 14, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to pArthiva1

It's a test build, no promise that it fixes the audio problem.  In fact, it might get worse.  The purpose behind it is to gather debug logs which should give us an idea of what's going on.  You will get instructions on how to uninstall and revert back to the current release or a previous release of Flash Player once the test is complete.

If you are still interested, please email me at ccampbel@adobe.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 4:37 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I'm using firefox. No sound in flash test, but got sound in html test. I get sound just fine in ie, but not FF.

Submitted bug report and sent Chris an email about testing the test build. Now I'm going to uninstall flash following the instructions above, and reinstall 10.3 and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to CharlieORourke

I was finally able to get sound to work by reverting back to Flash 10.3. I needed to use the stand-alone installer to unistall Flash. I then had to delete all Flash files from remnant Macromed folders on my computer. I am not sure what the differences are between the 10.3 installers in the zip file, but I had to use the winax installer to get it to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to Leahink.com

Used the uninstaller, and got rid of extra flash and macromed folders. Rebooted, and Installed flash 10.3. Sound is BACK!! Yay!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 6:41 PM   in reply to pArthiva1

Its alittle more technical here's a link to explain how to truly revert to 11.2 you don't really need to go back to 10.3 at all period. Just follow the instruction from the link below.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/825435

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to pArthiva1

How I fixed sound in chorme with Ver. 11,3,300,257

Type “about:plugins” (without the quotation marks) into the address bar at the top of a Chrome browser window.

Find the “Flash” (or “Shockwave Flash”) listing on the Plug-ins page and click the corresponding   “Disable”   button.

Went to youtube  sound works now. 

Flash (2 files) - Version: 11,3,300,257 (Disabled)

Plugin page still shows  Flash ( 2 files) (Disabled)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to webthingxx

I shouldn't say fix. More like a work around, found by dumb luck. I hope they get it resolved soon. I'm using windows vista.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 6:01 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris, Using Vista 32bit symptom is no sound with BBC iPlayer or from Youtube since Flash 11.3 - Sound Blaster System test OK, Windows Media Player OK, RealPlayer OK.  Have uninstalled and reinstalled all Adobe products (inc. Flash and AIR), have uninstalled and reinstalled BBC iPlayer - problem persists.  Happy to particapate in any tests.  Quick fix appreciated!

Just to be precise - using IE9

Message was edited by: LiveLongandProsper

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

i had no sound on chrome, but sound in IE 8, Vista 32bit.

then i updated to latest versoin ... 11.3 r300

and NOW ...

now no sound in both IE and chrome.

are you kidding me ?

you've made this worse. now i can't watch any internet videos at all.

nicely done !

UPDATE: ok, i found an old version of firebox on my PC. it prompted me to install version 10.3 r183. and i have sound. please, don't break this one on your next update. even better, fix this problem. a week later and still no fix. seriously ? 

UPDATE: ok, some sites wouldn't work with 10.3 on firefox. so i had to begrudgingly upgraded to 11.3. and yes, now no audio on firefox. spectacular ! so audio on flash video completely gone now.

UPDATE: sound is back.

1. closed all chrome browsers.

2. ran uninstaller : http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninsta ll_flash_player.exe

3. went here for previous version :

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions. html

4. downloaded

Flash Player 11.2.202.233 :

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp _11.2.202.233_archive.zip

so thanks for the memories dev team. what the hell happened on this release ? don't think i'll be upgrading to next version for a loooooooooooooong time !!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 7:16 PM   in reply to CharlieORourke

Running 64-bit Windows Vista (6.0 - Build 6002). This update screwed up every one of my browsers (Chrome, IE, Waterfox). I initially thought that a game installation was to blame, so I re-installed those in addition to rolling back my SB Audigy audio driver--all to no avail. After using the Flash Player uninstaller and installing 11.2.202.233, I used the audio tests that Adobe provided in an earlier comment on this thread, and unsurprisingly HTML5 test worked fine but the Flash Player test failed. I now have sound in Waterfox and IE, but not in Chrome (which is my primary browser).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to pArthiva1

Uninstalling Flash via the Control Panel, then installing the archived version as pAthriva1 suggested (http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp _11.2.202.233_archive.zip) worked for me as well.  Thanks for the tip!!  The file I ran was flashplayer11_2r202_233_win_64bit.exe. 

I have Win7 64-bit, so choose the right file for your operating system.  Make sure to select "Notify me about updates" instead of "Automatically install updates" when it prompts you.

What a colossal bug! How did this ever make it out to the field??

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to tranklz

After updating to Flash 11.3 I did not have sound in Firefox, Chrome or Safari.  I think I have determined that the source of this problem was a conflict between Flash 11.3 and my sound card, which is a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE.

I have started a new thread with details of my experience and to specifically find out what role sound cards might have in causing problems with Flash Player 11.3. 

If you are using a sound card and are having problems with Flash 11.3 please go there and post your information:

No sound with Flash 11.3 - Sound card conflict?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4501371#4501371

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to alan f.

Oops. My original post had more information but I clicked a link from this page (I forget which) and it deleted my entire comment, so I had to rewrite it.

What I meant to add is, changing my default device from my VIA high def. audio speakers to my USB headset did NOT fix the problem.  This indicates that the bug is not audio codec specific (such as to VIA, RealTek, Creative, etc.), since the USB headset has its own set of audio drivers.  Add your Creative problem and the list of hw codecs that experience this issue is suspiciously large.  No, it is an operating system level bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 7:17 PM   in reply to Maliria

I am also curious how to fix Chrome.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Windows Vista Ultimate SP2

AMD Phenom II x6 1100T

16GB DDR3 RAM

Sound Blaster Audigy Sound Card

EVGA GTX 570

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard

I have uninstalled the sound card and completely reinstalled flash player to test on the motherboards onboard sound, and the problem persists.  This may rule out the sound card.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 4:01 AM   in reply to Scorpion00021

so it's been almost a month...any changes adobe team ?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points