Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to Transfer Colletions from Bridge CS5 to Bridge CS6?

Jun 10, 2012 8:42 PM

Tags: #collections #bridge-keywords #bridge_cs5.5

How to Transfer collections from Bridge in CS5 to CS6?  I tried to copy my collections to the new Bridge but for some reason I do not see an option.  I tried putting on Keywords on my collections so that I can pull them up again but for some reason it won't write keywords anymore?  What is the best approach to transfer collections.  Thanks.  KC

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 11, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to Omni108

What is the best approach to transfer collections.  Thanks.  KC

On a Mac both the keyword file and collections are stored in the user library (by default hidden in OSX lion) in the user account.

The path on Mac:

user / library / Application Support / Adobe. Inhere you should see both Bridge CS5 and bridge CS6 if you have upgraded while the older system is still on your system.

In Bridge CS5 you see several folders and files. The keyword file that has all your in CS5 created keywords is called 'Adobe Bridge Keywords.xml' and the folder called Collections should have all your saved collections in it.

You can copy the keyword file to the same location in CS6 and also the content of the collections folder can be copied to the CS6 folder.

After restarting Bridge CS6 they should reflect the correct collections and keywords.

Don't know the path on Windows but it might be similar.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

On Windows 7 it is

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS6\Collections

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to Omni108

Uninstalling can cause problems with file associations and other things.  So unless you really need the HD space leave it be.  THey should not interfere with each other.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to Yammer

I want to transfer my Bridge CS5 Collections to newly-installed Bridge CS6; my Bridge CS5 keywords seem to have been transferred automatically to Brideg CS6, but not my Collections. I don't have an "AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS5\Collections" file (or even a Bridge CS6\Collections file. Does anyone have any more tips for doing this transfer?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to PeterTOxford

AppData is a hidden file so you have to turn that on in Windows Explorer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Thanks very much – done it! It’s a pity Adobe don’t do these things, and it’s odd that they DO copy the keywords data to the new installation.

Thanks again.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to PeterTOxford

Just so you know keywords are written to the image so there is no transfer to do.  Collections are a file and installations do not transfer files.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Thanks again!

Peter

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 13, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Just so you know keywords are written to the image so there is no transfer to do.  Collections are a file and installations do not transfer files.

In addition to this, if you have created a custom keyword tree (keyword list) you will have to export this from the old set up and import this list on the new set up. If you don't you see the keywords only in italic, meaning the are read from the metadata in the file but not persistent in your Keyword list.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points