• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm having trouble installing Flash Player 11.3.300.257

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week I got an automatic pop up to update Flash Player. I did as I normally do and a little while later I noticed that Flash Player is no longer working on my computer.

My system:

Dell Precision Workstation 690

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

Mozilla Firefox 12.0

I have full administrative rights on this computer

I can provide other info as requested.

The steps I have taken so far:

• The initial update installation appeared to work normally with no hang ups or delays. At the end of the installation Firefox opened to the Adobe page saying the installation was succesful. However, it became clear when I tried to watch video on Youtube and other sites that Flash was not operational.

• I went to the Flash download page again and tried the installation again, but had the exact same result.

• I checked the Plug-Ins in Firefox tools and it verified I have the latest plug ins installed for Flash Player.

• Rebooted the system and tried again. Same result. (I later shut down the system overnight and the next day tried again with the same result)

• I found the Flash Player uninstaller and ran that. Rebooted. Installed latest version. Same result as before (Installation seems to complete as normal but Flash is not working).

I got the exact same result as before.

Each time I see the same thing - Under where it says "Can you see the movie below?" I see nothing. No movie and not even a grey box. Just blank white page until I see the box saying "Yes I can" and "No I can't".

"What files do you have in

• C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?
  • C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash ?

Can you also post the contents of the FlashInstall.log files from both these folders?"

In a pre-emptive effort if it helps anyone, this is my answer to that request:

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?

• FlashInstall.log
        • FlashUtil64_11_3_300_257_Plugin.exe
        • NPSWF64_11_3_300_257.dll

C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash ?

• FlashInstall.log
        • flashplayer.xpt
        • FlashPlayerPlugin_11_3_300_257.exe
        • FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
        • FlashUtil32_11_3_300_257_plugin.exe
        • mms.cfg
        • NPSWF32_11_3_300_257.dll

FlashInstall.log (from C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash)

=O====== M/11.3.300.257 2012-06-11+15-35-56.121 ========

0000 00000010 "C:\Users\cad 01\AppData\Local\Temp\install_flash_player.exe" -install -iv 8 -au 0

0001 00001036 Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin/Version 2

0002 00001036 Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin/PlayerPath 2

0003 00000020 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

0004 00000011 1

0005 00001037 SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer/ 2

0006 00001037 SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Flash Player Plugin/ 2

0007 00001036 Software\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions/Plugins 2

0008 00001036 Software\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\extensions/Plugins 2

0009 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2

0010 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2

0011 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2

0012 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2

0013 00000014 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_11_3_300_257.dll

0014 00000015 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_11_3_300_257_Plugin.exe

0015 00000017 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

0016 00000019 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

0017 00000022 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_11_3_300_257.exe

0018 00000021 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe

0019 00000012

=X====== M/11.3.300.257 2012-06-11+15-36-04.249 ========

FlashInstall.log (from C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash)

=O====== M/11.3.300.257 2012-06-11+15-35-56.121 ========

0000 00000010 "C:\Users\cad 01\AppData\Local\Temp\install_flash_player.exe" -install -iv 8 -au 0

0001 00001036 Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin/Version 2

0002 00001036 Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin/PlayerPath 2

0003 00000020 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

0004 00000011 1

0005 00001037 SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer/ 2

0006 00001037 SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Flash Player Plugin/ 2

0007 00001036 Software\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions/Plugins 2

0008 00001036 Software\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\extensions/Plugins 2

0009 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2

0010 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2

0011 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2

0012 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2

0013 00000014 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_11_3_300_257.dll

0014 00000015 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_11_3_300_257_Plugin.exe

0015 00000017 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

0016 00000019 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

0017 00000022 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_11_3_300_257.exe

0018 00000021 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe

0019 00000012

=X====== M/11.3.300.257 2012-06-11+15-36-04.249 ========

I have never had an issue updating Flash Player on this computer before and nothing of any significance has changed (ie, hardware, software, admin rights, etc). I'm at a total loss and I would appreciate any advice anyone could give.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Do you happen to have RealPlayer installed?

If you do, can you please remove the ProtectedMode=0 line from your mms.cfg and try one of the following:

Uninstall RealPlayer from Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features

OR, to test this temporarily without uninstalling:

1.       Kill the process “realsched.exe”

2.       Disable the firefox extension “RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin”

3.       Restart firefox.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed report.  Could you try a quick test for me?  I'd like to see if protected mode is interfering in your case, once tested, please revert your changes.

How do I disable Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I look in the mms.cfg file it only has the following 2 lines;

AutoUpdateDisable=0

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=1

Should I add the line "ProtectedMode = 0"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please add that.  Check to see if that makes a difference (you'll probably have to restart the browser), then remove it once completed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears we have a winner.

I edited the mms.cfg file and added the line ProtectedMode = 0"

I restarted the browesr and youtube videos are just fine.

As a test, I went back and took that line back out of mms.cfg and videos did not work.

So, as I understand it, it is not recommended to be running Flash Player with the autoprotect turned off, so what should I do now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, given that Flash Player won't even work on your system with protected mode you might want to leave it disabled.  However, it might also be worthwhile to see if a reset of Firefox also helps solve this.  If it does, you could re-enable protected mode and be at the highest security level with the player.  If a reset of Firefox help, please do let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I had exactly the same problem this morning after downloading this update. I too changed mms.cfg to ProtectedMode=0 and it worked.

I could not access Youtube and other videos, and also I could not access CMC Markets to logon.

How long before this problem is resolved by Adobe.

Kind Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player Protected Mode provides a modern, sophisticated set of security protections that we see as critical in today's security landscape. 

We highly recommend that users not disable ProtectedMode.  Also, it's worth noting that by manually changing your mms.cfg, you have opted out of Protected Mode for all future versions of Flash Player, as we will continue to honor that preference. This puts your system at risk, and that risk will continue to grow over time. 

Ultimately, this is an issue with the RealPlayer Browser Record plug-in.  There is a more technical explanation in the Mozilla bug referenced above in the thread, but the simplified version is that the security enhancements designed to prevent the introduction of malware via Flash Player make RealPlayer Browser Record plug-in no longer compatible with Flash Player for Firefox.  You can disable the record functionality to eliminate this issue, while retaining the ability to view both Flash and Real Player content.

To disable the Real Player Browser Record functionality while maintaining the enhanced security provided by Flash Player with Protected Mode, do the following:

Launch RealPlayer

Click the RealPlayer icon in the upper-left corner of the window, and choose Preferences

Choose Download & Recording from the left-hand menu

Uncheck "Enable Web Download & Recording for these installed browser"

Click OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had the same problem this morning after I updated my Flash Player.  I spent nearly an hour trying to figure out the problem before, in despair, I turned to this forum and did the recommended fix: disabling the Real Player Browser Record functionality.  Flash now works in Firefox.  I highly recommend that you add some verbage on the download page for Flash and on the automatic window that pops up (as it did on my computer this morning) recommending that you update Flash -- something to the effect that you need to disable the Real Player Broswer Record functionality, within instructions on how to do that.  Many users are just going to give up after uninstalling and reinstalling Flash several times and -- in essence -- Flash will become inoperative for those users.

I think that disabling Real Player's record functionality is a reasonable price to pay for more security, but I wish I would have been alerted to the need for that before I spent the last frustrating hour trying to trouble shoot the problem with Flash.

I am very glad that you are trying to improve security, but is an inoperative Flash player your goal?  I don't think so.  Please do us all a favor: include instructions on disabling Real Player's record functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I will do as requested and STOP Real Player Downloader this is a program that I use on a regular basis. It is, in my opinion, a great way to take a competitor right out of a market that Adboe doesn't want to explore. If the competition is disabled why bother creating a free program to do the same function?

This is a design error. It forces the competitions product to be disabled. I do not appreciate it and lowers my opinion of Adobe as both a designer and major player in the Net world. I may change to Chrome, which would be something else I don't want to do, to have both elements back in my 'toolbox'.

There should have been a warning that the new version could have an impact on widely distributed "XXX and XXX).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a minute in the comments above you said you would lead someone through the process of rolling back to the previous version. Since apparently the new version 11.3.300.257 has a 'protection mode' that I haven't researched or found a need to find a product and install to solve a vulnerability issue as it's only major update, **roll me back to the previous version** where I can have the capability that I want on my machine.

This new version directly impacts my business. I must have Flash read capability and it's highly useful to download my finished product as seen on the screens of various browers.

How will you let me know you are ready to start that process or do I have to keep this tab open?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Screw. Did as requested and lost one of my key tools. But have another even more important active again. Thanks a lot Adobe for the problem. yeah I'm madder than hell. If you think that's impolite then you haven't run a business that need certain capabilites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The steps you're looking for are available in the following troubleshooting guide:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After looking up a couple of other threads, I checked and updated Java.

In the process, Firefox also updated to Version 13.0. I'm not sure if that may have been causing some of the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After testing the protect mode change, you might want to consider resetting Firefox.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reset Firefox as suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you remove the line in the mms.cfg, does Firefox work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Even with resetting Firefox, if I remove the line from mms.cfg then videos will not play again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks.  For the time being I'd recommend keeping that line in your mms.cfg.  The alternative is to rollback to the previous version which does not contain the protected mode feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you happen to have RealPlayer installed?

If you do, can you please remove the ProtectedMode=0 line from your mms.cfg and try one of the following:

Uninstall RealPlayer from Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features

OR, to test this temporarily without uninstalling:

1.       Kill the process “realsched.exe”

2.       Disable the firefox extension “RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin”

3.       Restart firefox.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RealPlayer is installed. The Firefox plugin for it was already disabled because I had not enabled it after the Firefox reset above.

I killed the process in the task manager, removed the "ProtectedMode=0" line from mms.cfg, and restarted Firefox. With this configuration as you specified, Flash Player does work.

Although this doesn't help me much if I want to use Real Player, but it seems we are narrowing down where the conflict is being created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again for all the feedback on this issue.  I'm locking this thread, as the issue for Boston_Kiwi is resolved.

There's a troubleshoting guide for Protected Mode here that will help you work through the issues we've identified since the release of Flash Player 11.3:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071?tstart=0

We continue to track a relatively infrequent crash that occurs when specific flash content is loaded in lots of simultaneous tabs, and a silent crash that's occasionally being logged by Firefox when tabs are closed or the browser is restarted.  We are working diligently with Mozilla to debug and fix these issues.

If you're continuing to encounter problems with Protected Mode after working through the troubleshooting steps above, please open a new discussion so that we can work with you to most effectively collect and track information relevant to the problem you're encountering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines