Skip navigation
240ch
Currently Being Moderated

Am I allowed to install Lightroom on multiple PCs?

Jun 12, 2012 2:29 AM

I purchased the student's edition of Lightroom 4 for my (Win7) computer at home. I'm working often at the university and now I would like to know whether I am allowed or not to install Lightroom on my (Win7) notebook with the same license key as on the desktop?

If it's legal, I would wonder, if there are differences in the licenses for Windows and Mac OS, because I'm thinking about buying a Mac notebook.

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2012 3:10 AM   in reply to 240ch

Up to 2 computers (on trust, no activation), and you aren't restricted by computer brand. So you can have LR on a PC desktop and a Mac laptop, and the catalogue can be copied across.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 3:23 AM   in reply to 240ch

Technically LR can be loaded onto both a Windows and Mac system using the same serial number, since it does not require activation. The primary stipulation is that you cannot use the program simultaneously on two systems.

LR 4 EULA:

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/gen_wwcombined-en_us-20120119 _1426.pdf

Sec 2.1.3

Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the restrictions set forth in Section 2.1.4, the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed under Section 2.1 ("Primary User") may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.

I'm not an attorney, but I see no restrictions anywhere in the LR4 specific EULA that apply to your usage.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to 240ch

Not really one way, but look into File > Import from Another Catalog. I have a catalogue on the Mac Air laptop, then upon return use File > Export as Catalog to make a copy on an external hard drive (there are options to include previews and the originals or "negatives"). I then attach the hard drive to the desktop PC and File > import from Another Catalog and point to the EHD. It then imports everything done on the road.

You can also use these two commands to roundtrip - ie copy stuff from the desktop, work on it while on the laptop, and then merge it back to the desktop afterwards.

I mention the EHD only because of the file sizes. Copying over the network or Dropbox is also possible.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points