Skip navigation
Martin HJA
Currently Being Moderated

AfterFX CS6, Timeline Mouse-Lag! (with video description, vimeo)

Jun 12, 2012 4:58 AM

I created a video of the problem and uploaded it to my vimeo account. Hope it helps to understand:
http://vimeo.com/43892712

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz

8GB Ram

Nvidia GTX 580 Phantom

256 Samsung SSD

Supertalent SSD (Dedicated to Adobe Media Cache and Windows Temp file)

3 HDD(dedicated to Video and Project and exports)

This is a fresh and clean install on the new Samsung SSD (latest firmware), AHCI enabled.

Only system drivers and the whole Production Premium CS6 are installed.

Problem:

There is a clear Mouse lag while clicking and selecting/marking things in the timeline window. The more layers I have and the more keyframes are shown, the bigger the mouse lag is. It is even bigger than in the video with other comps I have.

This happened to me in CS4 (but I guess that was due to an issue with the wacom tablet driver that supposedly was solved with CS5).

But the driver and Wacom tablet aren't even installed yet, and I experienced this lag with CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and now CS6. Even though it was stated that the GUI is accelerated a lot in this release (via an Nvidia GPU). So I bought a new Nvidia Card (GTX 580), and indeed working is more fun now, but the timeline lag still appears. Before I had an GTX 260.

Turning on or off the preference "Hardware accelerate panels" doesn't do any difference. Also "Use multi CPU rendering" doesn't help the lag.

Is this the old processor Core 2 Quad @ 2.4 and the old SATA2 Bus? I'm willing to invest into a new Ivy Bridge CPU and 32GB of RAM (and a new mainboard), but I already did invest into a new GPU , a new SSD, new CS6 (which is supposed to drew faster on the screen in AFX). And it didn't really help the lag issue. SO I just don't want to get disappointed again.

I also tried a different mouse (PS2 cable), but that didn't help either.

Anybody having the same issues?

Any advice or help, please?

Thanx,

Martin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to Martin HJA

I am having the exact same problem. Surely we are not alone. it's driving me nuts.

Completely stiffles my creativity- to the point where AE is not fun to work with any more.

System:

MB Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 (F12 Bios)

CPU Intel Core i7-3930K

RAM GSkill GS-F3-1600C10Q-32GAO

GPU Gigabyte GTX580 UD

HDD Samsung 830 256GB

Update:

I see from your vimeo comments that you are still having the problem. Okay, so let's troubleshoot this together.

I dont think your CPU + Ram situation is the cause of the problem, as mine are much better and it's not helping at all. What I have noticed is that we are both using GTX 580's...

Perhaps that's the starting point. The problem is, GPU's are expensive! I wonder if a low-end 6XX series card might be worthwhile testing?

Before getting into all that, I'd love to confirm that this isn't just an issue with After Effects on Windows itself!?

I've made a 5 second comp with 20 x solids, each with a keyframe on every frame.

Is anyone able to fire it up and make a quick video showing the mouse performace when using the timeline?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/792881/temp/TimelineTest%20CS5.5.aep

Let's start there anyway.

Added system information

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to Martin HJA

I get the feeling you consider 8 Gigs to be a lot of RAM.  It really isn't all that much any more.

If you use multiprocessing, your memory and processor allocations could be slowing things down because you don't have enough memory to use it effectively.  Furthermore, the size of the video makes it impossible to tell precisely what you're doing in AE when this condition occurs.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

Hey Dave, thanks for chiming in

I have 32 Gigs of ram and am experiencing the issue with or without multiprocessing.

I'm fairly certain the issue is unrelated to the overall complexity of any given comp. Rather, it's an issue with the complexity of the timeline panel... if that makes sense? In the project I linked to above, the comp is extremely basic- but when position keyframes are visible, the timeline is a complete nightmare to navigate. (Very slow, laggy mouse particularly when dragging the marquee down to scroll & select the lower layers)

This unresponsiveness is exclusive to the timeline panel and seems to be directly related to how many layers & keyframes are drawn on screen at any given time.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to floating.point

I should recuse myself from this thread.  I don't really regard this as a big deal.  Perhaps I just work too slowly for it to be an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 1:16 AM   in reply to Martin HJA

I'm also having the problem, I have a big compostion here with 450 layers (don't ask me why) and the lag on the timeline is over half second. presing I and O to go to the first or last frame of an event lags a lot and the timeline cursor does not redraw correctly. I don't remember having this kind of problem on CS5.5 at all.

My specs:

i7 950 Bloomfield

24GB Corsair Ram 2000 Mhz (running @ 1600Mhz )

240GB SSD for system/cache

4TB raid for video files

2TB drive for other stuff

Nvidia GTX 470 1.25 GB

2x fullHD Monitors

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 1:32 AM   in reply to Enzimage

I also have a multi-monitor setup, in my initial tests I thought this might be the problem... So I unplugged my Dell U3011, leaving only my Dell 2007FP... Problem persists, so it's not a multi-monitor issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to floating.point

(Sorry to double post)

A couple of other aspects of my AE are a bit off. I have a feeling this may all be interconnected, as they are all GUI related. These other issues are of little consequence, but if it is indeed all connected, it may help troubleshoot the issue.

Firstly is the behavior of scriptUI panels. My AE struggles when drawing ScriptUI panels, sometimes takes 4+ seconds to load the panel, sometimes (rarely) the panel doesnt show at all, throwing an error (I cant remember the exact error). I also get a slight lag when clicking dropdowns and interacting with all ScriptUI panels.

Furthermore, after my inital install, the CTI updates very slowly while RAM Previewing (it's fine while scrubbing). I solved this issue with a bit of help from this thread. It turns out in my AE prefs I had "Time needle update frequency (seconds)" = "0.250000", changing the value to 0.05000 fixed the issue. In that thread it was suggested that perhaps AE automatically set this value on first launch- based off its understanding of the system capability (to save on resources)... If this is correct, AE obviously failed to make a correct evaluation of the system's capability... I wonder what else it "got wrong"?

I just had a look through the prefs file (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\11.0\Adobe After Effects 11.0-x64 Prefs.txt)
    There's a bunch of stuff in there, but not knowing "what-does-what" I dont want to mess around in there just yet.

Has anyone else suffering from our timeline issues experienced anything like the above?

Update:

Okay, finally some feedback from After Effects.

Today when launching after effects it has crashed with the following error

ScreenClip.png

This article from Adobe explains the use of GPU in AECS6

OpenGL, the GPU, and After Effects CS6

You'll notice toward the bottom of the article, Level 2 hardware requirment covers hardware acceleration of of composition, layer and footage panels.

Im thinking this really is a problem with AE + GPU. This might explain why swithcing hardware accelerated panels doesnt make any difference to our problem... perhaps its just not working at all. any thoughts?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 9:52 PM   in reply to floating.point

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I had to chime in here because this thread has a video that PROVES it, and there is very little info out there. There's a few threads but everyone blames it on hardware and dismisses it, but this is real and it's driving me INSANE when I have deadlines!!!

I've tested this on three, admittedly not amazing, but pretty good, computers.  1 is a 2008 Mac Pro 8x2.8, 16GB, gtx 285 1gb. another is a 2009 Mac Pro 8 Core 2.2 Ghz, 32GB Ram, GTX 670, and the third a 2008 Mac pro 4x3.0, 16GB, 580gtx. Also tried on the 2009 in Windows 7 x64. SAME issue on all of them with the same project. It is workable when I first open it for a few minutes, but quickly gets bogged down like in the video. Windows seemed to handle it better, but it was still there.

THIS IS A REAL PROBLEM and I'm not sure why everything I've read seems to dismiss it. It's clearly something with the UI and the way it draws keyframes, and the fact that they hardware accelerated a lot of UI stuff would point to that being the problem. But hard to think we'll get a fix when it isn't ackowledged.

Or maybe you'll tell me this is an old thread and thry already fixed it with an update!

Or maybe you'll tell me to shut up and wait for c4d lite and join the cloud!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points